Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 good buy at the moment?

spongebob squarepants

After a few years in the wilderness, think iv'e finally decided on a new 911. I want air cooled still but prices seem really high and still on the up, whereas the 996 and 997 are steady/still declining.

Im only back in UK 4 weeks a time so do low miles and several 'keepers' have volunteered to run the car while im away. :floor: :floor:

Unfortunately im not back in UK till mid June and sill have little Audi A1 to sell or id be off to buy this straight away, its just down the road, and fills all the boxes especially the rare 997 colour.

http://www.a1ortos.co.uk/used-PORSCHE-911-Oldham-Manchester-428675

872420.jpg

Ive convinced myself a 997 isnt going to blow up or be mega unreliable and even if it does ill just fix it, and compared to costs on an aircooled 911 im not over bothered re the early 997's issues. Id have a 996 Turbo but cant get past the interior. It will be my only car so not a garage queen as such and worried re having an older 911 as always been second cars in the past.

Im thinking 997 never going to go really low in price compared to a 996 and WTF, not buying it to sell anyway so WTF who cares about depreciation

:puh: Madness or actually quite sensible?? Well obviously not that sensible that would be a 3 series diesel bmw lol

Welcome back.

Life is too short, so buy it.

It is very bling in guards red.

Sponge - I like that :thumb: I thought you'd be looking for a black one to match your armband now as Fergie has moved on :hand:

Zingari said:
Sponge - I like that :thumb: I thought you'd be looking for a black one to match your armband now as Fergie has moved on :hand:

Old chap pop down there for me and put a deposit on it lol, not many about in guards.
I really thought we were getting the special one not the boring one, but i might grow to like him ......

spongebob squarepants said:
I really thought we were getting the special one not the boring one, but i might grow to like him ......
I thought the same but really you don't want to be the one to follow the great man.The next one will be more important..The trouble is that Mourinho always thinks that he is bigger than the club that he is at.That can never happen at united!

Im thinking 997 never going to go really low in price compared to a 996 and WTF, not buying it to sell anyway so WTF who cares about depreciation

What make you think that? I think the 996 has bottomed and the 997 has some way to go yet but in the next 5 years I recon they will have bottomed at the same level as 996

Winny

Red with black leather interior - very nice. :thumb:

Generally, I think that red and black make a very strong colour combination.

...most of the time that is - not so sure about this though....

Manchester%2BUnited%2Bhome%2B2.png

Refreshing approach to 997 ownership.

Not convinced about the Guards Red. Spec not quite to my liking but if you like it then go for it.

Alternative is this one from a fellow forum member..

http://911uk.com/ads_item.php?id=4372

Im thinking 997 never going to go really low in price compared to a 996

Why :?:

With the 3.6 cars there's already a cross-over in prices between early and/or leggy 997s and late and/or low mileage 996s.

As a base line the 996 will always be cheaper because it's an earlier model but within a couple of years the difference in prices between 1999 cars and 2007 cars will probably come down to about £1k per year.

Whatever, a sub £22k 997 is undoubtedly fantastic value for money in the same way that a sub £15k 996 is.

Good luck. :thumb:

T8 said:
Im thinking 997 never going to go really low in price compared to a 996

Why :?:

With the 3.6 cars there's already a cross-over in prices between early and/or leggy 997s and late and/or low mileage 996s.

As a base line the 996 will always be cheaper because it's an earlier model but within a couple of years the difference in prices between 1999 cars and 2007 cars will probably come down to about £1k per year.

Whatever, a sub £22k 997 is undoubtedly fantastic value for money in the same way that a sub £15k 996 is.

Good luck. :thumb:

Just looking at the big difference between a very late 996 and an early 997? You can buy a 996 for 7-10K .
Personally I dont think a 997 will ever get that low.
In theory as 996/7 had similair new prices then do you think a 997 will get there too? At say 10-12 years old?
So a 3.4 99 car will eventually be only 1k cheaper than a 97/997 ?

Just looking at the big difference between a very late 996 and an early 997?

Is it really a big difference?

You can buy a 996 for 7-10K .

You can but it'd be old and/or tired.

Personally I dont think a 997 will ever get that low.

You're probably right. imo Early 996s will bottom out very soon and each year newer car will settle at £1k-£1.5k more.

In theory as 996/7 had similair new prices then do you think a 997 will get there too? At say 10-12 years old?

Absolutely. It wont be long before there'll be loads of sub £15k 997s about.

So a 3.4 99 car will eventually be only 1k cheaper than a 97/997 ?

No. Add £1k for each year .

ie 1999 car = £8k, 2000 =£9k, ...... so a 2007 car will (imo) 'bottom out' at £16k -£18k by the time it's 10 years old.

Personally, I thinkj a n y 997 will have the greater depreciation over the next few years compared to a 996. On the Turbo pirces, the gap in price between low mileage 996 Turbo and low mileage 997 Turbo's seems to be considerable - meaning that come resale in three years time, the 997 Turbo will lose more.

On your particulr choice of car - colour is a personal choice. I am not drawn to a Guards Red car - or any red coloured car. Some of my prejudice is seeing so many red cars turn pink due to years of sunlight on them. Then someone told me that it doesn't happen with modern red colours because of the lacquer or something.
But I'm a sceptical ba*%a!d who has seen too many red cars fade since the 70's. I'm the same about owning Lancia/Fiat/Alfa's - saw too many since the 70's rot away before my eyes held with rust and saw the electricals go kapput on them (Magneti Marelli?) so I'd never touch any of these - just a horror sight etched in my memory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markyt911c4s
Back