Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Carrera GTS or 991 Carrera 3.4

megdog

Silverstone
Ok, so I'm know they're very different interpretations of a 911, but I'm looking at tading in my 997.1 shortly and wondered what people's opinions were? I'm guessing there are some of you out there who have hd the same dilema?
Thoughts please.

GTS is a superb 911, and will perform better than the stated 991. Performance aside, the interior cabin of the 991 is a thing of beauty!
Test Drive them both and decide for yourself, as it will ultimately come down to personal preference.

A 4 page feature in the current (just) Issue 107 of Total 911 asks exactly the same question and concludes that the GTS is ...

".... the sort of car that if you don't buy it now, it will have you feeling in years to come like you missed a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The message, then, is simple; don't miss this."

Apparently to spec a new 991 to the same level as a 997GTS would cost £90k. Spend £60/65k on a GTS and save £25k+. :thumb:

I think the GTS would want to be something very special to outscore a 991. You need to drive it yourself. Forget what journos say. They jump in and out of cars and form random opinions without any real sense of living with a car everyday or a whole array of real world considerations. You have to drive yourself. You're the one paying for it and using it.
I'm open to the possibility that the 9997 GTS is some sort of magical unicorn of a 911. Hopefully I'll get to drive it someday. But in reality, it's basically just a very well sorted 997. However you could argue that a 991 is an uber extremely well sorted 997. It's a whole new car. Technology moves forward. Cars get better. Each iteration of the 911 exceeds the previous. So I would expect the 991 to be the better car across the board. Or what were the Porsche engineers and designers doing for the last five years? Playing Monopoly in the canteen? What were they spending the millions earned in Cayenne sales on, if not brilliant technological innovation, development and improvements?

I'd be siding with a 991 I think, just because it's a much newer and updated package. :thumb:

If it was me and my money I think I'd go 991 3.4 :oops:

Revvier engine, prettier exterior, nicer interior...

BUT

I haven't driven either.

Also, 991 3.4 makes less financial sense (probably) than the 997 GTS.

Both would have to be manual, obviously. :grin:

Roro said:

BUT

I haven't driven either.

I think this could be the deal breaker.
It's well documented how good the 991 PDK is, by contrast the seven speed manual transmission in the 991 is, by many observers account, pants.

The manual 'box and execution feel in the GTS is superb IMO, and of course you have the extra power as already mentioned.

If you want a pretty cabin and flappy paddles it's the 991.
If you want manual it's the GTS.

Driven both. Another vote for the GTS. Amazing car and drive and you will also lose far less than a 3.4 991.

Roro said:

BUT

I haven't driven either.

Well there well have it.

Lock the thread.

Absolute. Copper-bottomed. Gospel.

Whatever Roro says, do the opposite (don't worry, he will next week, and then he'll be right)

GTS (4) it is.

Oh, and it's still rear engined and has a steering wheel attached to the front wheels (everything you need in a 911) :thumb:

.... And to top it off, I just remembered that I HAVE driven a GTS.

I drove a manual cab at Guildford about a month after launch, they gave it to me for a few hours to play with. I remember it being quite fabulous. Never driven a manual 991 though, but I would like to, just to see what all the fuss is about.

GT4 you know how shallow I am - I'd go 991 based on looks alone :bandit:

I've driven the 3.4 991 and a number of 997 variants (not least my own), but sadly not the 997 GTS so I can't make a direct comparison.

The GTS is by all accounts the pick of the 997 bunch and I fully expect it will hold its value better than the 991, but the most important factor is how you feel behind the wheel. Both are great cars so you can't go too far wrong - drive both and go with your heart - the choice will be clear....

...(GTS) :bandit:

After a bit more thinking about it ...........

Why not get a bargain 997GTS now and a 991 in a couple of years time.

Relatively speaking there's not many GTS cars around but as time goes on there'll be a glut of 991s.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
user983234
Back