Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 carrera 2s/4s - aluminum use for body panels/chassis

shazz

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and have used the forum to great extend to do research on the 997.. Maybe one day I will be able to take the plunge and own a beauty such as many of you.

My question is surrounding the use of aluminum for body panels for the 997. Or are all parts constructed out of steel and the use of aluminum was only introduced partially for the 997 turbo (45% of the car)..

The reason I am asking is due to a fellow friend saying he thinks the bonnet, and side skirts/sills are possibly made out of aluminum..

Thanks again in advance :)

HI there, welcome to the forum. On the Carreras, the bonnets are indeed made out of aluminium. On the GT and turbo models, I believe the doors are also made out of Aluminium. On the RS models, the front wings are made out of aluminium also. Hopefully someone else will be along to confirm or put me right over this.

~ Maxie

Maxie said:
HI there, welcome to the forum. On the Carreras, the bonnets are indeed made out of aluminium. On the GT and turbo models, I believe the doors are also made out of Aluminium. On the RS models, the front wings are made out of aluminium also. Hopefully someone else will be along to confirm or put me right over this.

~ Maxie

:thumb:

I don't know the figure for the aluminium content of the Turbos's body but the 45% quoted by the friend would surely have been too high.

There is no ally in the chassis (outside the suspension systems)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grahame84
Back