Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 topup oil

poorleno

Having only covered 14k miles which oil should i be topping up with? Mobil-1 0w40 new life?

If you know what's already in it top it up with that.

If not, assume it's got 0w40 in it (it probably has) and use Mobil 1. :thumb:

Hi, there are a few variants of 0w40 would I be ok with "new life"

poorleno said:
Hi, there are a few variants of 0w40 would I be ok with "new life"
Yes it would. Don't worry.

another n00b questions - but do I top up with the engine cold or warm?

The electronic dipstick only works when the engine/oil is suitably warmed, so this will the gauge for how much is needed. IIRC top to bottom is 1 litre so each segment is 1/3.

You can add the oil while the engine is running, so add a little, measure, and repeat until you are happy :thumb:

chimp911 said:
The electronic dipstick only works when the engine/oil is suitably warmed, so this will the gauge for how much is needed. IIRC top to bottom is 1 litre so each segment is 1/3.

You can add the oil while the engine is running, so add a little, measure, and repeat until you are happy :thumb:

Careful, that is the procedure for the 997 Turbo and GT3 engines.

For the normal 997 Carrera models, the correct engine oil level is displayed when the engine is not running and has been stopped long enough for all the oil to have run back into the oil pan.
Unlike the Turbo/GT3, the engine can be cold (i.e., before the first start up of the day), or warm but switched off.
Each of the 3 display segments corresponds to about 0.4 litres.

Red993C4 said:
chimp911 said:

For the normal 997 Carrera models, the correct engine oil level is displayed when the engine is not running and has been stopped long enough for all the oil to have run back into the oil pan.
Unlike the Turbo/GT3, the engine can be cold (i.e., before the first start up of the day), or warm but switched off.

Sorry, my bad :oops: :coat:

Red993C4 said:
chimp911 said:

mmmm it wont let me measure the oil without the engine running. Its a 997.2 if that makes a difference?

It does. Engine must be running at idle to get a measurement, the other way is for the gen1 cars.

Didn't realise you could add whilst the engine was running, though.

poorleno said:
Red993C4 said:
chimp911 said:

mmmm it wont let me measure the oil without the engine running. Its a 997.2 if that makes a difference?

Then it's my bad, not Chimp's. :hand:
The procedure I described was for the 996 and 997.1 Carrera models.
I've never run a 997.2, but do now think that I remember reading that their DI engines adopted the same (or similar) oil level sensor as the earlier Turbo engines, so the procedure for your car will be as Chimp described it above.
It will be in your car's handbook, and you can also confirm there whether the oil volumes represented by each display segment have changed. [/u]

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CS4997Gen1
Back