Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Ticking noise at idle.

bensaunders

Trainee
Hi,

I have just bought a 997.2 3.6 PDK and its lovely. It also drives incredibly smoothly and the PDK box is a dream. It's much much better than the 997.1 C2S I owned a few years back!

My only slight concern is that it makes a ticking noise when idle after a cold start. It seems to go after its warmed up.

My understanding is that most DFI engines make a bit of a ticking noise, some worse than others, but I just wondered if I should be at all concerned?

Cheers

Ben

Sounds pretty normal to me, most 9x7.2 cars I've heard sound like sewing machines at idle. I wouldn't worry too much if it was me.

bensaunders said:
My understanding is that most DFI engines make a bit of a ticking noise, some worse than others, but I just wondered if I should be at all concerned?
Exactly. That's probably the DFI sound. If you hear this ticking noise only after starting the engine and it then immedeately disappears there is a second optiion. The hydraulic lash adjuster. But I think it's just the DFI noise in your case. So, don't worry.

I get it, don't worry. Once the car is warmed up it will go.
The 911 really is a fussy beast. It's a totally different car when warmed up!
:thumb:

Most of these cars have tappet noise if the oil is left to drain away over time (a few days or sometimes overnight during higher ambient temperatures and low viscosity oils "0w-" etc)

This should go away in a matter on minutes at most after the next startup (any longer indicates a possible sticking tappet)

But in terms of specic 997.2 "issues", the DFI engines tick on idle is probably just the fuel stratification injectors opening an closing under very high pressure.

At idle there is little else to mask it.

One thing to check though (depending on your model year), is whether it definitely had the HPFP "soft" recall.

There is no recall as such, but a "service campaign" (ie replacement at the the point of next scheduled service).

Campaign ref is: WB08
TSB ref is: 41-09

Sadly, there are reports even with the replacements there have been requirements for a further changeout.

bensaunders said:
Hi,

I have just bought a 997.2 3.6 PDK and its lovely. It also drives incredibly smoothly and the PDK box is a dream. It's much much better than the 997.1 C2S I owned a few years back!

Ben

I bet your lovely 997.2 3.6 PDK is much better than a 1973 2.7 RS as well

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dicreamio
Back