Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Spacer or not??

glenwells

Monza
Hi

I saw a pic of a 997.2 with 7mm front and 15mm rear spacers fitted. Thought it looked ok.

Did get me thinking though, is it safe?

With PASM on the 997.2 isn't it supposed to lower the car by 10mm. Will that get too close to the tyres?

Is there a chance that the tyres being further out it may rub the wheel arch if taking corners in a 'spirited' manner?

Also are they ok or will it make the car look a T**t Mobile?

Not really expecting to become Colin Mcrae (showing my age) but do like to enjoy twisty roads when I can which is not often. Here in Devon a lot of the twisty roads are narrow, high sided with tractors coming the other way with swords sticking out front!!

Any one fitted them to a 997.2S with PASM thoughts safety and aesthetics?

Ta in advance
Glen

Hi Glen , my gen2 4S with PASM is lowered and has spacers and no rubbing or knocking , same with my narrow body gen1 it was lowered and spacers no issues at all . so just adding spacers will be fine but just ensure you get hubcentric ones :thumb:

Attachments

• 16_782_117.jpg
    16_782_117.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,044
Eibach springs and spacers fitted to mine by CoG, no issues apart from obviously being a tad lower for speed humps etc.
Factory the car looks 💩 aesthetically without these mods in my view.

Attachments

• adb98060_7cd9_466a_a668_e11b8a9af5e9_906.jpeg
    adb98060_7cd9_466a_a668_e11b8a9af5e9_906.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 3,045
100% improves aesthetics and handling IMO.

I have 7mm and 15mm I believe but can check if needed.

No rubbing or any other issues.

r3owqzb.jpg

uFsBTYB.jpg

sounding like a purchase then

Phil 997 said:
Hi Glen , my gen2 4S with PASM is lowered and has spacers and no rubbing or knocking , same with my narrow body gen1 it was lowered and spacers no issues at all . so just adding spacers will be fine but just ensure you get hubcentric ones :thumb:

Sorry to be a numbskull but what do you mean by 'nubcentric' I was looking at a full kit machined spacers anodised replacement wheel nuts inc locking nut - don't remember if it said hubcentric?

Reckon I'm going to go for it though.

ta
Glen

Re: sounding like a purchase then

glenwells said:
Phil 997 said:

Sorry to be a numbskull but what do you mean by 'nubcentric' I was looking at a full kit machined spacers anodised replacement wheel nuts inc locking nut - don't remember if it said hubcentric?

Hubcentric means they have a locating ring or sometimes tabs which locate in the hub and means the spacer is perfectly centered. They also allow the weight to be transferred to the hub and not only through the bolts

Ta

Thanks for the replies. I am convinced and going to order a set.

Looks good in all of the added pics.

Regards
Glen

The bolts are to hold the wheel on to the hub and they don't carry the weight of the car once tightened.

Why why why why why????
It always makes me chuckle & also hold my head in my hands when all you people do this stuff.
Porsche don`t do things by half when they spend millions upon millions developing there cars.
Then some punter comes along & thinks he can do better for £50.
Leave the damn things alone man.
The only true thing you ever do by modifying these cars in "ANY" way shape or form is de-value them.
So well done, spend lots to make your car worth much less.
Ive said this on countless occasions. If you want to go faster, go & spend your hard earned on some proper driving tuition at a circuit.
If you first learn to drive, you will quickly learn that you truly do not need to modify these cars at all.

Ah, an originalist.

Porsche – and all the other manufacturers – design and build their cars to work in many markets around the world. That does not make them ideal for all conditions and if say I choose to fit another set of brake pads, or a newer set of tyres, a stiffer bush, or even some vinyl stickers to my own car, well that's my choice.

As it turns out, Porsche care not one jot about whether or not their cars are modified, and the 911 is probably one of the most modified cars in existence – given that it is raced, rallied, safari'd, back-dated, re-imagined, restored, rebuilt, grand touredor even just driven.

the spacer should have a lip on the outside face for the wheel to locate onto. If the outside face is flat then its not hubcentric. The lib allows the wheel to sit perfectly centered to the hub.

C2.1GTS.2 said:
Why why why why why????
It always makes me chuckle & also hold my head in my hands when all you people do this stuff.
Porsche don`t do things by half when they spend millions upon millions developing there cars.
Then some punter comes along & thinks he can do better for £50.
Leave the damn things alone man.
The only true thing you ever do by modifying these cars in "ANY" way shape or form is de-value them.
So well done, spend lots to make your car worth much less.
Ive said this on countless occasions. If you want to go faster, go & spend your hard earned on some proper driving tuition at a circuit.
If you first learn to drive, you will quickly learn that you truly do not need to modify these cars at all.

Porsche actually sell OE spacers and always have for all their 911s going back to air cooled its because they know that Porsche owners differ some are old men who want to potter around and some are younger looking for a more sporty stance and improved handling , theres no right or wrong way, its just personal choice :thumb: :thumb: the Porsche ones are very nice and have a recessed retaining screw but they are very expensive for what they are , I had them on my gen1 :thumb:

Re: sounding like a purchase then

glenwells said:
Phil 997 said:

Reckon I'm going to go for it though.

ta
Glen

Glen as the others have explained , hope you see why it needs to be hubcentic now mate :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Porsche actually sell OE spacers and always have for all their 911s going back to air cooled its because they know that Porsche owners differ some are old men who want to potter around and some are younger looking for a more sporty stance and improved handling , theres no right or wrong way, its just personal choice :thumb: :thumb: the Porsche ones are very nice and have a recessed retaining screw but they are very expensive for what they are , I have them on my gen1 :thumb:

I was in two minds about getting some myself but now I NEED them to belong in the younger camp :floor:

badbadtz said:
Phil 997 said:
Porsche actually sell OE spacers and always have for all their 911s going back to air cooled its because they know that Porsche owners differ some are old men who want to potter around and some are younger looking for a more sporty stance and improved handling , theres no right or wrong way, its just personal choice :thumb: :thumb: the Porsche ones are very nice and have a recessed retaining screw but they are very expensive for what they are , I have them on my gen1 :thumb:

I was in two minds about getting some myself but now I NEED them to belong in the younger camp :floor:

:floor: :floor: :grin: :grin: thats my reasoning aswell mate, if I can fit 4 small pieces of round metal to my car and knock 20years of my age then its a must do mod :grin: :grin: :thumb: then we can all grow old disgracefully :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBavers
Back