Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 C2

Kev.K

Monza
What price do early 997.2 C2 start from?

Most that I've found on autotrader have been from main dealers and virtually the same money as S models.

I know the S is more desirable, and some say non S models are difficult to sell, but with my other financial commitments, I just can't afford an S.

I also thought that I might get a good deal on a carrera in the current financial climate if they are difficult for sellers to move on?

I would really appreciate opinions on what others would pay for an early 997.2 carrera.

Thanks

Hi,

I just bought a 997.2 C2 PDK a feed weeks ago and I loved it. I'm also aware that it is less desirable, but finances meant it was my only realistic option. So far I love it and it compares very favourably to my previous 997.2 C2S.

As for prices, there is quite a variety and there is a high mileage car on autotrader at the moment for £30,000. But I would have thought £35,000 is s more realistic price point.

Do you want manual or PDK?

Have you seen any yet?

cheers

Ben

bensaunders said:
Hi,

I just bought a 997.2 C2 PDK a feed weeks ago and I loved it. I'm also aware that it is less desirable, but finances meant it was my only realistic option. So far I love it and it compares very favourably to my previous 997.2 C2S.

As for prices, there is quite a variety and there is a high mileage car on autotrader at the moment for £30,000. But I would have thought £35,000 is s more realistic price point.

Do you want manual or PDK?

Have you seen any yet?

cheers

Ben

I haven't viewed any yet.

I originally planned to buy a 997.1 c2s, but when I started to research them, it scared me off.

I decided to buy a e92 M3 instead.

I viewed a few m3's and they all seem to be abused ex lease/company cars,. So I started to think about 997's again.

I'm really unsure about a 997.1, and the only 997.2 I could afford would be a 997.2 c2. I would prefer a PDK, but I'd have a manual.

I was thinking dealers might be more open to negotiate on a non S. Especially if I wait until winter.

It's going to feel fast to me anyway as the car I've just sold was a brera S 3.2 v6, and the only porsche I've driven was a boxster PDK.

In my (probably pretty worthless) opinion, there is a big difference between owning an M3 and a 997.

The M3 is a great car and hugely quick, but at the end of the day it is still a 3 Series. The 997 on the other hand is not only about the actual car, it's the whole ownership experience! Plus every 911 is special, but I know I'm biased!

I think PDK on a gen 2 is a massive plus point but it depends on your needs. As an everyday driver, I would not be without it.

I understand your nervousness about the 997.1 as I was burnt myself. However if you buy from an OPC it will have a 2 year warranty.

But if you can, I would hold out for a decent 997.2. They seem to have a really strong engine and although there were some minimal teething problems, they seem to have been sorted with soft recalls.

I can honestly say, there is no other car I would want unless I was a millionaire!

bensaunders said:
In my (probably pretty worthless) opinion, there is a big difference between owning an M3 and a 997.

The M3 is a great car and hugely quick, but at the end of the day it is still a 3 Series. The 997 on the other hand is not only about the actual car, it's the whole ownership experience! Plus every 911 is special, but I know I'm biased!

I think PDK on a gen 2 is a massive plus point but it depends on your needs. As an everyday driver, I would not be without it.

I understand your nervousness about the 997.1 as I was burnt myself. However if you buy from an OPC it will have a 2 year warranty.

But if you can, I would hold out for a decent 997.2. They seem to have a really strong engine and although there were some minimal teething problems, they seem to have been sorted with soft recalls.

I can honestly say, there is no other car I would want unless I was a millionaire!

I agree a 911 is more special than a m3.

I was also shocked at the lack of low down torque that m3's have.

DCT is a really good box though and the v8 is a great engine.

I've decided I'm going for a 997.2.

I just hope I can pick one up for around £30k.

bertyw said:
Why nervous vis the 997.1 ?

Engine presumably

I was looking for a C2 a couple of months ago but ended up with an S because my OPC was quite persuasive :grin:

I think Ben is right, in that you'll need at least £35k for a low-ish mileage reasonable spec one. You might be lucky though if there's a private seller who's been kicked in the balls on a part/ex price and wants to offload quickly :thumb:

Engine problems on the 997.1 are rare if the engine is treated properly, but this applies to all Porsches including the 997.2. The only significant problem is bore scoring, possible on both engines but easily checked for and easily avoided. IMS failure is very rare on the 997.

bertyw said:
Engine problems on the 997.1 are rare if the engine is treated properly, but this applies to all Porsches including the 997.2. The only significant problem is bore scoring, possible on both engines but easily checked for and easily avoided. IMS failure is very rare on the 997.

As far as I'm aware there have been no issues on bore score on a 997.2, but I would like to know differently?

bertyw said:

Nope, 997.2 engine is completely redesigned with no intermediate shaft and better cooling

I've not heard of any issues so far with this engine, (although it may be too early to tell whether all of the issues have been resolved), whereas the earlier engines keep companies like Hartech pretty busy

rpm said:
There has been at least one instance of bore scoring on a 997.2 on this forum.

See link below:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=84232&highlight=bore

Bit too early to tell if this will be as much of an issue as it is with the 997.1

Cheers for the link!

Certainly an interesting read, although having suffered bore score on my 997.1, this does not concern me quite so much, but it's still an issue to consider!

Turned out not to be bore scoring. It was a misaligned piston ring allowing too much oil in to the cylinder, hence the smoke and huge oil consumption.
All new modified piston heads and cylinder linings rebuilt under warranty and all is well.
Wouldn't worry about bore scoring in a gen2.

That's good news for Gen2 owners - thanks for clarifying

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xx22
Back