Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 GT3 How do I get rid of understeer?

Roro

Well-known member
Joined
1 Oct 2010
Messages
7,455
Ok... So, a couple of trackdays in and I've decided that my car is a bit too understeery. How do I get rid of that? Will a decent geo sort this out or do I need to get into the world of anti-roll bars etc? I read Cunno's 997 suspension thread, but I think that's all a bit too hardcore for me for now!?

The feel I want is just a nice neutral 4-wheel drift - I don't want understeer, but I don't particularly want oversteer either. I've got the car booked in at JZM for a geo - is there anything specific I should ask them to do or will they know what I mean...? As usual any advice most appreciated :thumb:
 
:thumbs:

Cool thanks.

.... I thought that the rear anti roll bar on my car was already at the max setting from the factory? That's what someone said on Cunno's thread I think :?:
 
Roro said:
:thumbs:

Cool thanks.

.... I thought that the rear anti roll bar on my car was already at the max setting from the factory? That's what someone said on Cunno's thread I think :?:

From factory the rear bar should be full stiff. ie shortness arm on the rear bar. Only option is to upgrade to a GT2 bar. I've only just done this, still not tried out yet on track.
 
Speak of the devil :D

I await your review with anticipation 8)

(How much was the GT2 bar? Is it worth me getting one anyway do you think...? Or too early to say I guess...)
 
there are only TWO setups for these cars: Track or Road there is NO in between.

decide which way you want to go and JZM will install it. no need to change roll bars.

Road setting's very good on track unless your're pushing back some kind of invisible frontier.

Track setting's woeful on road.
 
Easy answer is to stick 245's on the front... :wink: I've had Chris sort out
my geo (Center Gravity)...pretty much all of the reprobates send their
toys up to him. I'm running several degrees of extra camber, and
obviously, the 245's on the RS do help bigtime in negating any understeer.
I'm happy with the standard setting on the roll bar, softening it makes does
it more pliable in the wet though...

Over the pond some of the trackday boys are running 255's, I hear that,
that is the ultimate cure for understeer. Actually I recall going out with
NX120 at one of our Spa trips last year, he was running 255, MPSS's
they were bloody epic on a greasy track...and very predictable with
fantastic levels of grip... :grin:
 
nick w said:
Over the pond some of the trackday boys are running 255's, I hear that,
that is the ultimate cure for understeer. Actually I recall going out with
NX120 at one of our Spa trips last year, he was running 255, MPSS's
they were bloody epic on a greasy track...and very predictable with
fantastic levels of grip... :grin:

You rang? :)

I'm at Spa right now & am running the 305 rear / 255 MPSS setup. I managed to keep at 185kph over the really bad concrete bit of the E40 today. It was t too bad but my hearing took a while to recover.

255 will give you a ridiculous amount of front grip when combined with 3 degrees of camber but I would suggest getting a geo first. Covering up a bad geo with bigger tyres isn't the right way to go.

All that said, most under steer is caused by incorrect technique on corner entry (need to load up the front by trail braking) or being too aggressive with the throttle while you still have lock on. The second is often a consequence of the first problem.
 
Yup, as I discovered many moons ago.. you can have all the right tools but
if you're carrying too much speed into a corner, and not setting the car up
for that corner, ie not trailing in on the brakes/and not getting the weight
transfer of the car right on entry..it can get really horrible..:grin: ...lol
 
I alway prefer to steer out of a brake "bounce" (ie immediately you come off a deep deceleration) on corners and then just "pushing" on the acceleration (ie just balancing centripetal forces)
 
NXI20 said:
All that said, most under steer is caused by incorrect technique on corner entry (need to load up the front by trail braking) or being too aggressive with the throttle while you still have lock on. The second is often a consequence of the first problem.

:grin: I was also going to say 'get some tuition' when I saw the thread title.
 
GT4 said:
I alway prefer to steer out of a brake "bounce" (ie immediately you come off a deep deceleration) on corners and then just "pushing" on the acceleration (ie just balancing centripetal forces)


..English would be good here...
 
Well I knew what I meant, and it feels good when done properly.

Sorry, if I don't have the words to describe that.

How about: "pushing on more as you unwind" - does that work?
 
The Vic Elford imaginary piece of string connecting your toe to the bottom of the steering wheel analogy :thumb:
 

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,029
Messages
1,436,484
Members
48,421
Latest member
MainA
Back
Top