Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo break down, help!

Graeme Shaw

Monza
Joined
1 Jul 2012
Messages
221
My 996 Turbo broke down yesterday.

Car running fine, then went to accelerate and nothing there.....
Car then rolls to a stop and cuts out and wouldnt re start.

No dash lights.

Got car recovered then tried to re start and it did run, but as soon as any throttle was given it stalled again.

Checked for error codes with an obd2 reader and then with some newly bought durametrics software and no error codes present?

Im thinking coil pack or plug? Hopefully! But would this not through an error code?

Any help or advice appreciated

Graeme
 
Here are my thoughts FWIW. I doubt that coil pack or plugs would do that, not all cutting out at the same time. Was it very wet at the time? That tends to show up problems with coil packs more.
It sounds more like a fuelling problem to me. It looks like a trip to a decent Indi could be in order.

MC
 
Check the intercooler hoses(tucked-up inside/behind the bottom of each rear bumper vent.(you need to get your head right up and under...use a light) The barb/clip that holds them on can come away and/or the hose can perish as it rubs against the inner wheel arch liner(bottom).

They can blow-off/rip and cause this type of breakdown.

The EML will always come on after this happens but it will clear once the issue is resolved.

Then check all your hose connections.

.....may sound daft but are you 100% sure you have fuel in the tank(don't go by the gauge)!
 
It was wet with snow and lots of salt.

Surely a fueling issue would throw an error code though?
Having said that I would have thought a misfire would have ....

Ive ordered plugs and coil packs and have fingers (and toes) crossed

G
 
Graeme Shaw said:
It was wet with snow and lots of salt.

Surely a fueling issue would throw an error code though?
Having said that I would have thought a misfire would have ....

Ive ordered plugs and coil packs and have fingers (and toes) crossed

G

hmmmmm....so have you not visually checked those bottom intercooler hoses(takes about 5 mins) as it would throw the EML/suggests this may be your issue.

Moreover, you would need nearly ALL coilpacks/plugs to fail to cause a breakdown vs a slight misfire as all cylinders have their own coils......you may have wasted your money on needless coils and plugs.
 
I see yours is remapped also...makes it even more likely that a hose has blown off/tore at the boost side(or lack of) and is now possibly venting into thin air(no longer a sealed system)

Regardless the std hoses(esp old/orig ones) are useless on re-mapped cars. Your better off with the enhanced barbed hoses and seals that hold onto the female ends much better.

It's so easy to blow off a std/old boost hose if the cars has been re-mapped.
 
Fuel pump fuse blown maybe?
 
Fuel pump failure would not allow the engine to start but a knackered/popped out boost hose will still allow an engine start with EML ignited.....but then press the pedal and it conks out.

.....been there got the t-shirt(n/s intercooler boost hose)
 
wizard993 said:
Graeme Shaw said:
It was wet with snow and lots of salt.

Surely a fueling issue would throw an error code though?
Having said that I would have thought a misfire would have ....

Ive ordered plugs and coil packs and have fingers (and toes) crossed

G

hmmmmm....so have you not visually checked those bottom intercooler hoses(takes about 5 mins) as it would throw the EML/suggests this may be your issue.

Moreover, you would need nearly ALL coilpacks/plugs to fail to cause a breakdown vs a slight misfire as all cylinders have their own coils......you may have wasted your money on needless coils and plugs.

Thanks for taking the trouble to help with my issue.

I will ignore all advice.

:dont know:
 
wizard993 said:
Fuel pump failure would not allow the engine to start but a knackered/popped out boost hose will still allow an engine start with EML ignited.....but then press the pedal and it conks out.

.....been there got the t-shirt(n/s intercooler boost hose)

I thought the OP said there was no EML on the dash ...? :dont know:
 
The split hose fault mentioned in my post can still allows it to start because there can still be some fuel pressure. Also fuel pumps don't always fail completely.So it's still worth checking :)

Mac
 
Mac996t said:
The split hose fault mentioned in my post can still allows it to start because there can still be some fuel pressure. Also fuel pumps don't always fail completely.So it's still worth checking :)

Mac

... it did come across as a fuel issue to me too ...
 
Graeme Shaw said:
No dash lights.

...and no error codes present?

+1 for it looking like a fueling issue.

I've had an intercooler hose pop off whilst driving and the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree - abs failure & psm failure & lots of beeps. Durametric found codes stored too (can't recall exactly what they were, but I remember clearing them).

wizard993 said:
It's so easy to blow off a std/old boost hose if the cars has been re-mapped.

Mine's remapped - it's only popped a hose once, and that was my own stupid fault for not putting it on properly.
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,761
Messages
1,448,389
Members
49,945
Latest member
calinours38
Back
Top