Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo alarm problem

Rioja996TT

Monza
Joined
11 Sep 2010
Messages
197
My car is unlocked overnight (in a secure garage!) On recent first starts the windows have twitched and the alarm has activated. When the siren finishes the system resets and no further problems occur during the day. This morning, on a whim, I locked and unlocked the car on blip before starting. The windows still twitched, but the alarm did not sound. Any advice please?
 
I have had some similar issues and I was told to lock my car as leaving it unlocked uses a lot more power and therefore drains the battery a lot quicker.

Eventually I replaced my battery which seems to have solved my issues so you may want to try this as it is a cheap fix (I got a Bosch S5 for about a hundred notes from ECP although I have noticed that buying it from them through Amazon would have saved me about £20).

HTH
M
 
surfymark said:
I have had some similar issues and I was told to lock my car as leaving it unlocked uses a lot more power and therefore drains the battery a lot quicker.

Eventually I replaced my battery which seems to have solved my issues so you may want to try this as it is a cheap fix (I got a Bosch S5 for about a hundred notes from ECP although I have noticed that buying it from them through Amazon would have saved me about £20).

HTH
M

Cheers Surfymark, Could be low battery as I have had numerous short trips of late. Will charge overnight and see if there is an improvement. Wasn't aware of the battery drain through leaving unlocked, so will be more disciplined in future!
 
When I first bought mine it had the under performing alternator problem, and a few times when I started it the alarm went off and the windows dropped half way. This was due to the battery voltage dropping too low while it was cranking and the alarm module obviously didn't like it.

My car had a new battery but it still did it, fitting a new regulator to the alternator stopped the problem completely.

Before I changed the regulator the voltage on the dash volt meter was about 12.7-13 volts for the first 10 mins however after driving for 1/2 an hour or so the voltage was dropping to just over 12v and this wasn't enough to keep the battery fully charged, hence the problem at the next start.

With the new regulator I now have 13.7-14 volts at all times and the car turns over better when starting, I can also leave it in the garage much longer without it going flat, the longest I've left it is six weeks and it started fine,before it wouldn't start after a week. I still put it on the Ctek if I know I won't be using it for a couple of weeks

HTH

Mac
 
Many thanks to all who replied. A night on my trusty Ctek and all seems well. I had not considered the battery as a culprit, as it was still turning the engine over. Voltmeter reading a fraction below 14, so no problem there. Current Battery is a Bosch S3 70Ah, which coincidentally, will be three years old next month. In view of the car's low and intermittent use, would an S4 or S5 be a more apposite replacement, and if so which model?
 
Oh and it turned up next day..super well packed and with some free micro-fibre cloths.. :)
 
surfymark said:
I went with an S5 just because it had a longer guarantee (5 years I think).

M

Yes, The 3, 4 or 5 refers to the warranty years, but the 5 110 is also higher rated, does the alternator cope o.k.?
 
Rioja996TT said:
surfymark said:
I went with an S5 just because it had a longer guarantee (5 years I think).

M

Yes, The 3, 4 or 5 refers to the warranty years, but the 5 110 is also higher rated, does the alternator cope o.k.?

It seems fine to me. It starts a lot more easily than it has the whole of the time I have owned it (over 2 years now).

M
 
surfymark said:
Rioja996TT said:
surfymark said:
I went with an S5 just because it had a longer guarantee (5 years I think).

M

Yes, The 3, 4 or 5 refers to the warranty years, but the 5 110 is also higher rated, does the alternator cope o.k.?

It seems fine to me. It starts a lot more easily than it has the whole of the time I have owned it (over 2 years now).

M

That's good enough for me! Thanks for your input.
 
If you have no need of OPC extended vehicle warranty, get a Bosch or Varta (which is a parallel branding)

This is the biggest you can fit:

315*175*175 mm
85 Ah and 800 CCA
FIVE year warrany

Varta Silver 585 200 080 (short code F18)
=
Bosch Silver 0092 S5 010 (short code S5 010)

http://www.eurocarparts.com
(use discount code MBCLUB25 for 25% off)

http://www.carparts911.co.uk/
(911UK discount code 911uk0512 for 5% off)

Also check out eBay/Amazon.


Bosch numerically and colour code their battery technology:

Blue S3 = 3 year warranty
Black S4 = 4 year warranty
Silver S5 = 5 year warranty
 
GT4 said:
If you have no need of OPC extended vehicle warranty, get a Bosch or Varta (which is a parallel branding)

This is the biggest you can fit:

315*175*175 mm
85 Ah and 800 CCA
FIVE year warrany

Varta Silver 585 200 080 (short code F18)
=
Bosch Silver 0092 S5 010 (short code S5 010)

http://www.eurocarparts.com
(use discount code MBCLUB25 for 25% off)

http://www.carparts911.co.uk/
(911UK discount code 911uk0512 for 5% off)

Also check out eBay/Amazon.


Bosch numerically and colour code their battery technology:

Blue S3 = 3 year warranty
Black S4 = 4 year warranty
Silver S5 = 5 year warranty

Many thanks, all details noted.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
124,331
Messages
1,444,238
Members
49,461
Latest member
P12NLL
Back
Top