Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 search or maybe....

Elite Detailing

As you know I will most likely be purchasing a 996 C4 aerokitted beast in the hopefully in the next 2-3 months hopefully.(Or shall I get a C2S!?-cue for Will :wink: ) However I have always had a major soft spot for another car, a car which you will not like me mentioning. The BMW CSL M3.

I love the look of it, the carbon fibre, and its supposed to be an crazy track weapon and I think the sound of the engine gets me excited too. It will also be a lot quicker than the Porsche which is quite important to me. It is basically a poor man's GT3 isn't it? As the GT3 is my dream machine.

Let the abuse begin...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61345

Is it really quicker? I dont know the figures but the BM dosent feel any quicker. Only driven one once mind you so I stand to be corrected. I will add howver that the M3 s are very common and the CSL dosent really look much different to a normal M3. Porker for me every time.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61351

Hi G-Unit,

Each to his own, but have to agree with Philip a porker over a BMW any day. The BMW is very common place and the CSL is a definate poor man's GT3.

If you are wanting that little bit more of a challenge for track fun then you have to go for the C2s over the C4 and I am talking as a C4S owner!!

If you are going aerokit then go for the turbo rear spoiler over the GT3 one on the 996 as it is really in your face. I drove a C4S aerokitted and it had the GT3 tail spoiler put me off.

Any way enjoy the search.

Cheers Alan.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61354

CSLs are available from main dealers for £34k plus, which to me looks good value considering you will be getting a much newer car than the equivalent 996.

They do have something about them, with the carbon fibre roof, interior, bucket seats etc. And they do have a supremely snorty engine.

However, the press were never too keen on them, saying the standard M3, esp a CS was a far better proposition on the road. I've also noticed a lot seem to be sold after a short ownership.

I suspect the following often happens- Test drive; after Mr Punter has had a chance to take in the carbon fibre amience, salesman will push the 'sport' button, remapping the engine and the induction system and I would challenge any petrol head not to be blown away. I think a CSL would be great. Try one- you will always wish you had, so best get it out of your system!

However, as a long term proposition, I reckon a 993 would take some beating.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61357

G

I test drove an M3 CSL when I was on the waiting list for the Cayman ,which got cancelled too.

Whilst it was fun to drive and I did like the paddleshift, I don't think it was any faster than my C2 (but I could be wrong) and although the colour was the same as the one in your link, my Seal Grey is almost the same.....the CSL is probably heavier on depreciation (relatively) too.....

For me the decision was easy I'd wanted a 911 since I was very young and a BMW just didn't do it for me (although I do now have one as the spare car) and don't regret for a minute getting the Porsche........

So I'd go with the 911 every time.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61358

G,

What ever floats your boat,

A CSL is marginally quicker than a 996 C2, however it is nothing,

0-60 C2 996 4.9

0-60 CSL 5.0

0-100 C2 11

0-100 CSL 10.5

BMW's with the M3 engine have a dreadful record, and they have replaced sooo many engines, it makes the 996 look bullet proof in comparison.

With regards handling, a 996C2 is almost certinaly quicker on a track, and top speed, allthough I guess if the limiter was removed from the CSL, again not much in it.

Looks, 911 wins every time, soo many 3 series BMW coupes on the road in comparison to 911's.

Get the right 911, and you can be stuck in traffic on the M25 and feel special, with the CSL you would be trying to take allcomers on to show them whos fastest, constantly justifying your choice, cos it just doesnt stand out that much.

Also the new EVO's Scoobys, faster than either CSL or C2, and they would be on your ass all day in a CSL, and if you dont race them they will think you a Pu**y, and if you do they will be with you, and you will be gutted, where as in a 911, mostly you dont get hassled, because they get more respect, and that goes for any 911.

So for me 911 every day of the week.

I road tested a CSL before buying my C4S, and yes it was fast, however didnt like the paddle shift, and esp didnt like the rep the SMG gearbox has for self destruction.

Also the CSL, felt a lot heavier than my 911.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61365

A 911 is more fun to clean than a three box saloon and if you're doing cars every day, it'll be much more pleasing to stroke your 911 on a Sunday morning.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61369

Daz are you basing your judgements on a 3.6? Dont forget I wont be able to afford a 3.6, I will have to go for a 3.4.

Seagull you have a point.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61377

0.2 of a second to 62 kph between the 3.4 and the 3.6, so unless you're into traffic light drag racing.....

Mind you, in a manual, I defy anyone to get the factory figures without letting loads of air out of the tyres.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61380

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 29 May 2006

BMW's with the M3 engine have a dreadful record, and they have replaced sooo many engines, it makes the 996 look bullet proof in comparison.
I understand the reliability issues only affected the earlier M3s- shouldn't affect the CSL.

BMW stand by their products too- I know of a chap who had the engine of his 1998 328i replaced by the factory FOC when the car was at least 3 yrs out of warranty.

It's certainly a good point Seagull makes- the 911 is a much more 'special' proposition. The prob with M3s etc is that whilst they are mechanically poles apart, they look very similar to the unpracticed eye to a boggo 318Ci Sport. CSL looks different cos of the bootlid.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61385

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robertb on 29 May 2006

Previous poster said:

I understand the reliability issues only affected the earlier M3s- shouldn't affect the CSL.

BMW stand by their products too- I know of a chap who had the engine of his 1998 328i replaced by the factory FOC when the car was at least 3 yrs out of warranty.

It's certainly a good point Seagull makes- the 911 is a much more 'special' proposition. The prob with M3s etc is that whilst they are mechanically poles apart, they look very similar to the unpracticed eye to a boggo 318Ci Sport. CSL looks different cos of the bootlid.

I think the CSL stands out big time. The BBS wheels, lower stance, front carbon fibre bumper insets and the carbon roof. I think I will test out both but am leaning towards the 996 C2. Childhood dream car and all that.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61388

Previous poster said:

Previous poster said:

Here in lies the difference..

If you buy a CSL you will be treated like a god by BMW.

Buy the Porsche and be treated like shyt cos you cant afford a new one!!

Sorry but its true.

G please tell me you are only considerin the 3.6 not the 3.4 996.

...rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61393

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by 911Silverback on 30 May 2006

Previous poster said:

Previous poster said:

Here in lies the difference..

If you buy a CSL you will be treated like a god by BMW.

Buy the Porsche and be treated like shyt cos you cant afford a new one!!

Sorry but its true.

G please tell me you are only considerin the 3.6 not the 3.4 996.

...rob

Roberto bad news fella, I wont be able to afford the 3.6. My budget will be 33 absolute max. Preferabley lower if possible, I dont want to get in debt and also need to put aside £1500-2k aside for emergency money.(unforeseen circumstances and all that) :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 61394

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny-g
Back