Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 paint - do they have masking lines???

my996

Been looking at a very clean 996 1998 3.4 in metallic blue and I noticed that there were what appeared to be masking lines on the inside if the front wings, arround the bottom of the door shuts near the kick panel and areas in the engine bay. There was no evidence of over spray at all. There was what appeared to be the undercoat paint visible, the same colour but not metallic or laqured. Is this correct?I was advised that this was from factory and how Porsche are finished! I would appriciate your help and advise please

It sounds as if you are describing the sealant used to protect the underbody against damage by gravel, etc.. This is oversprayed with the final body colour. Sometimes it will show through where the paint has been chipped off.

Thanks for your reply. It didnt appear to be a sealant. As I said it is around the the inner front wings where they bolt on in side the front boot area. Also when the door is opened it can be seen on the sill/ door kick panel and going up the B pillar to approx the latch.

my996 said:
Thanks for your reply. It didnt appear to be a sealant. As I said it is around the the inner front wings where they bolt on in side the front boot area. Also when the door is opened it can be seen on the sill/ door kick panel and going up the B pillar to approx the latch.

That isn't the sealant I was referring to. Sounds as if some repainting was called for at some stage of the car's 14 year life.

Hi there

I have this too - inside the door frames

will confirm or take photo next time i open the car

digby

Red993C4 said:
Sounds as if some repainting was called for at some stage of the car's 14 year life.

+1 but a good shop should have buffed this out..?

Maybe but i believe mine is original Porsche..............

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7CUU
Back