Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Ownership without a garage

SW15911

New member
Joined
3 Oct 2021
Messages
8
First time post on here so please go easy on me.

I am seriously considering purchasing a 996 cab at the moment. I've had a 987 boxster and a 997.2S in the past, and missing that experience. A 996 appeals to me as it would be a good compromise on driving pleasure vs cost, in fact the 996 that I test drove seemed more fun than the 997.2S that I previously had.

The cars I have been looking at are approaching 20 years old, in good condition and look like they would have been garaged most of the time. I live in central London and do not have a garage or even a drive way. I live in a pedestrian only road so can't even park out the front of the house so parking is usually about 50 meters away in a cul-de-sac close by.

Would I be mad to buy a 996 under such circumstances ?
 
Not at all.......and :welcome:

I've owned mine over 7 years now and it's not spent a night garaged yet. I live in rainy Lancashire and use the car daily and it's never been a problem. It's just a car, just like an other. So long as you keep on top of it, it's fine. I've even give up using the hardtop over winter as it's not necessary.


ktus47V.jpg


lptAi6h.jpg


NATfl26.jpg


tqpK0uv.jpg
 
A wise man once told me, a certain Mr Tom 911v.... If you don't have winter wheels, be sure to wash your alloys every week without fail over the winter.

He wasn't wrong. I sealed them, then washed them every week, even if the car hadn't moved. They looked fresh as a daisy when the sun came back round.
 
Since getting the electric car (charger on the house next to the drive) my 996 has been relegated to the road.


50307546473_546d9b8e26_b.jpg


No issues with damp or rust yet.
 
The return of Marty Wild said:
A wise man once told me, a certain Mr Tom 911v.... If you don't have winter wheels, be sure to wash your alloys every week without fail over the winter.

He wasn't wrong. I sealed them, then washed them every week, even if the car hadn't moved. They looked fresh as a daisy when the sun came back round.

Should wash them weekly regardless of season if you use the car regularly. :thumb:
 
Yeah, take the dust and what have you off. I don't though, do gooder cyclist me.

Hugh, how do you find those sucker bike racks? Never had the balls to put my bike on one of those.
 
No garage here!

I use mine for taking the kids to school, dog to vet and regularly drive on fields at my local shoot etc.

I personally think a 911 looks all the better slightly weather worn and with a light covering with mud. I especially like seeing one actually being driven hard and used properly too rather than languishing as purely an object.
 
SW15911 said:
First time post on here so please go easy on me.

I am seriously considering purchasing a 996 cab at the moment. I've had a 987 boxster and a 997.2S in the past, and missing that experience. A 996 appeals to me as it would be a good compromise on driving pleasure vs cost, in fact the 996 that I test drove seemed more fun than the 997.2S that I previously had.

The cars I have been looking at are approaching 20 years old, in good condition and look like they would have been garaged most of the time. I live in central London and do not have a garage or even a drive way. I live in a pedestrian only road so can't even park out the front of the house so parking is usually about 50 meters away in a cul-de-sac close by.

Would I be mad to buy a 996 under such circumstances ?

Welcome and you are at the right place for accessing all the knowledge on these great cars. FYI, my 996 cab is for sale. Can be found in the for sale section (03 plate, silver). She has, unfortunately, languished in a garage but I am sure she would fare well outside too. :D
 
I had a 996.2 cab and keep it outside, mostly so that I can use it whenever I want (my single car garage doesn't lend itself to easy parking up indoors).

Don't let the outdoors hold you back from these lovely cars, like others say, just get into a good cleaning routine.
 
Hugh_ said:
Since getting the electric car (charger on the house next to the drive) my 996 has been relegated to the road.


50307546473_546d9b8e26_b.jpg


No issues with damp or rust yet.

Out of interest how do you find the Sea Suckers on the 996 as I'm thinking of getting some?
 
The return of Marty Wild said:
Yeah, take the dust and what have you off. I don't though, do gooder cyclist me.

Hugh, how do you find those sucker bike racks? Never had the balls to put my bike on one of those.

They are very good, mine will take 2 bikes. On our family car I fit and forget, at normal speeds and driving I have no concerns.

I am mindful when its on the 996 not too corner too hard but I suspect it would be fine even if I did.
 
Sorry OP.

Hugh, that is interesting, never had the minerals to trust one, might consider it now. Guess i could do some dummy runs with a lesser heavier bike.
 
The return of Marty Wild said:
Sorry OP.

Hugh, that is interesting, never had the minerals to trust one, might consider it now. Guess i could do some dummy runs with a lesser heavier bike.

...........and someone else's car. :grin:
 

Forum statistics

Threads
124,577
Messages
1,446,485
Members
49,724
Latest member
markevo6
Back
Top