Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT3 Shocks

Jack911

Trainee
I'm wondering if I should have my shocks inspected and perhaps serviced.

My car is road-only, so I figure if the original shocks work as specified by Porsche, then they should be good enough for B-road blasting.

Any comments?

Springs on mine were quite badly corroded about 5 years ago. I'm not too precious about originality and suspension technology has moved on since the early 2000's so swapped out for KWv3 coilovers. Considered Ohlins at the time, glad I didn't go down that path following recent events!

Yeah, the old suspension was tired and as a consequence the ride was harsh and fidgety on the road. Initially I had the new KWv3 set up track biased and low ride height, however, my use is much road biased so have put the ride had back to OEM and backed the geo off to suit.

Much happier with it now, but it is still a GT3 so it's no limo!! And of course I wouldn't want it any other way.

Probably worth getting them serviced. Nothing wrong with OEM esp for road. Mine are in the shed along with my Ohlins. I currently have a KW set up but go on track (not for some time :x )

Pip

Pip1968 said:
Probably worth getting them serviced. Nothing wrong with OEM esp for road.
I must say that I tend to agree.

I'm sure suspension technology has moved on in those >15 years since the car was built but, for my level of driving, I doubt that I would gain all that much from a £2,000 replacement.

You're not going to get the old ones serviced for free so it's the cost delta to consider. Spend on old tech or spend a bit more on new??

Gooner said:
You're not going to get the old ones serviced for free so it's the cost delta to consider. Spend on old tech or spend a bit more on new??
It's more than a bit though isn't it.

Service by Bilstein is £100 each versus ~£500 per corner for new.

Would there really be that much difference for road use to justify a factor of five in the cost?

Jack911, how did the refurbishment go in the end or is it still on the 'Things to Do' list??

Pip

Jack911 said:
I'm sure suspension technology has moved on in those >15 years since the car was built

It has.
I'm with Gooner. It's going to be £500 to have yours rebuilt, if everything is salvageable. I'd imagine you'll be replacing springs which aren't that cheap or at the very least having the originals powder coated. There's some more money gone.

I'd just do it once and do it right. KWs, Ohlins, etc ride so much nicer even in 30 mph zones. You don't just need coilovers for track use. In fact there's as much need for them on bumpy B roads once they're set up for that purpose.

Is an extra £1k/£1500 that much to spend on a £60k car? Depending on your mileage you're probably only going to do it once. It will just be setups every year or two after that.

I have a set of PSS9's I never used when I had a 996 GT3 just sitting in my garage.

They are used very lightly around 10,000 miles from memory. Let me know if they are something of interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Damos_Cars
Back