Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 funny brake noise

johnoscar

Hi there, any ideas would be welcome.....
When I brake softly at low speed, below 20mph I get a strange pulsing through the brake accompanied by an intermittent almost buzzing sound with the pulse. The only way I could describe it would be to say it feels a little like a warped disc although all discs are brand new with pads????? As I say no problem under harder braking or about 25mph no loss of performance all feels well above low speed. Thanks

Sounds like your ABS is cutting in to me? :?:

wells said:
Sounds like your ABS is cutting in to me? :?:

Which you wouldn't normally expect below 25 mph unless the car is on a low-friction surface. :dont know:

Is the car on non-standard tyre sizes or are tyre pressures too low? :?:

Good call, thinking about it sounds like abs kicking in, I will try turning the traction control button off (pds) or whatever its called. Had it on ramps today at a garage new discs and pads all round and still doing it. Everthing looked fine apart from CV boot split and grease around brake and hub?????Could that cause the ABS to kick in?

Sorry should say new to Porsche as in 5 days, no idea what tyre pressure should be or tyre size and make. I believe they are set to 32psi.

johnoscar said:
Sorry should say new to Porsche as in 5 days, no idea what tyre pressure should be or tyre size and make. I believe they are set to 32psi.

Which tyre sizes are fitted to your car? Recommended pressures frequently differ, depending on tyres fitted.

I don't have your model's tyre pressures readily to hand but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the information.
If it hasn't been removed at some stage you should also have a sticker showing the correct pressures somewhere on the car. On your car it was probably on the underside of the boot lid or on the inside of the petrol tank flap. On later cars it's inside the door jamb of the left-hand door.

Pulsing and buzzing has to be ABS activation. I'm not sure way, but I think you need someone to check it out.

johnoscar said:
Thanks, now in the cold light of day I think it must be ABS activation

Have you been able to confirm yet that tyre pressures are correct?

ABS ring

Turns out that there is a crack in the ABS ring with a small chunk missing from the ring so at slow speed the car thinks the wheel is locking up and ABS kicks in.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny-g
Back