Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Exhaust Sleeve Clamps

M84

Question for you seasoned 911 owners. I noticed something hanging out the rear of my car. It was one of the clamps around the exhaust sleeve. Having read a few posts on here, I see its a common problem.

I am not that experienced with DIY on cars. Done a bit, but my question is, do these sleeves come off easily? Do you just take off the old clamps, slip off the old sleeves and fit new ones? Or does it involve taking off large parts of the exhaust? Just want to know what I'm letting myself in for! Considering my limited spanner work.

I see Design 911 do Titanium ones. Tempting! :)

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

...you'll need to be able to slide the sleeves on thus will need to relax the exhaust enough to do this from memory and you've a slight coolant leak from the thermostat housing hose bud...

Reactions: M84
...you'll need to be able to slide the sleeves on thus will need to relax the exhaust enough to do this from memory and you've a slight coolant leak from the thermostat housing hose bud...
Thanks @GMG . I will give it a go!

Coolant leak, is that that pink stuff?

997 driver here but I did these on my car last year. I had to cut the original bolt across the thread (not much fun) and the sleeve was flexible enough to loosen and slip over the pipe itself. I then removed the bolt from the new ones and opened the sleeve to wrap it around the pipe before putting a fresh bolt in. Mine weren't as far gone as yours though. I went with the stainless steel clamps from Miltek.

Question for you seasoned 911 owners. I noticed something hanging out the rear of my car. It was one of the clamps around the exhaust sleeve. Having read a few posts on here, I see its a common problem.

I am not that experienced with DIY on cars. Done a bit, but my question is, do these sleeves come off easily? Do you just take off the old clamps, slip off the old sleeves and fit new ones? Or does it involve taking off large parts of the exhaust? Just want to know what I'm letting myself in for! Considering my limited spanner work.

I see Design 911 do Titanium ones. Tempting! :)

View attachment 98521

View attachment 98522
Hi... My Titanium ones arrived this morning.. For the difference in price its a no brainer.. My current ones have been on for 3 years and are in terrible condition as you can seeIMG_1330.jpegIMG_1329.jpeg

Depends if you back boxes have flexis or not. If not you'll most likely have to remove the back boxes.

and just for reference, JTBKK's 2nd photo is the cat bracket and not the exhaust clamp.

and just for reference, JTBKK's 2nd photo is the cat bracket and not the exhaust clamp.
Sorry I was only showing that clamp for reference as I am just about to replace all the brackets due to how badly they corrode in such a short period of time.

Thanks guys. Great info. I will endeavour to do this myself and do some wiggling, loosening of the back boxes if needed.

I'm actually wondering if I should go for stainless ones as I might replace the whole exhaust before they rot through. If 3 years is the benchmark!

Question. My clamps are VERY rotten. If they all fall off, will the sleeve just fall off? Looks like its pretty well jammed on there (suggested by the fact you guys say I might need to take the back boxes off). I'm just wondering how much time I have on this. Want to keep driving it, but might not get it sorted in the next 2 weeks.

I recently changed my joiner clamps.

There is a hack whereby there is no dismantling, save for removing the old joiner.

The old clamps are undone, or more likely bolts cut off. The two clamps are bent open until they can be removed.

Then the outer skin can be worked off, followed by the underlying inner skin. These will be very rusty, but easy to get off.

The new joiner is dismantled into the two skins prior to fitting. Then open up the inner skin just enough to slip over the pipe. Repeat for the outer skin, making note of the overlap to provide the gas seal.

You can now put the two end clamps on by opening them up just enough. Using suitable slack-jawed pliers, you can pinch them back into shape once on the car, and then finally tighten with the 17mm nut and bolts.

It really is simple, but do remember to overlap the inner and outer skins correctly to get a gastight seal.

Amazing, thanks @bananaz Sounds good!

...pink stuff is coolant buddy...hose clamp might just need nipping up ...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tkang79
Back