Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 c4s gearbox problem

J.Y.KELLY

HI JUST BOUGHT A C4S AND ITS CRUNCHING AND JUMPING OUT OF 2ND GEAR, WHEN ITS COLD, IS IT A GEARBOX REBUILD OR WHAT ARE THE ALTERNATIVES? ITS A 2003 WITH 36,000 MILES. MANY THANKS.

This is quite a common fault - 2nd gear crucnching means it is already quite advanced. It starts with 2nd gear popping out into neutral without any grating. Then gradually gets more frequent, then crunch/grating then finally it won't even go inot 2nd gear and people resort to skipping 2nd gear altogether going 1st to 3rd and 3rd down to 1st.

After ruling out any gear cable linkage issues and clutch-related issues, it usually points to worn synchros and there are then 3 solutions:

1. New gearbox supplied ex-OPC.
2. Used gearbox from a Porsche breaker.
3. Gearbox remove, strip and rebuild with damaged components replaced.

1 is very expensive and no guarantee - there seems to be some sort of inherent fault in these gearboxes that Porsche will never admit and it can occur at any stage in mileage - yours at 36k is low miles but it has been known to happen in even fewer miles. Advantage - you will get a 2 year warranty from an OPC.

2 is dubious as you do not know the internal condition of any gearbox (or engine) from a breaker. Advantage - less expensive than 1.

3 is the most 'affordable' solution in the right hands and can cure the issue as well as put right any other things that are found during the strip.
Advantage - you will know for sure the car is sorted. Cost can vary depending on what else they find.

I can only recommend one guy for anything to do with gearbox rebuilds - call Mike at Sports & Classic in Knutsford. He advertises on this forum and his web page lists prices for gearbox jobs (but final price will depend on what else he finds). He is a Porsche and gearbox expert and has people sending him gearboxes from all over. I don't know where you live but he did the PPI on my Turbo last year and he is very thorough in all that he does. He knows these boxes inside out.

cheshire911 said:
This is quite a common fault - 2nd gear crucnching means it is already quite advanced. It starts with 2nd gear popping out into neutral without any grating. Then gradually gets more frequent, then crunch/grating then finally it won't even go inot 2nd gear and people resort to skipping 2nd gear altogether going 1st to 3rd and 3rd down to 1st.

After ruling out any gear cable linkage issues and clutch-related issues, it usually points to worn synchros and there are then 3 solutions:

1. New gearbox supplied ex-OPC.
2. Used gearbox from a Porsche breaker.
3. Gearbox remove, strip and rebuild with damaged components replaced.

1 is very expensive and no guarantee - there seems to be some sort of inherent fault in these gearboxes that Porsche will never admit and it can occur at any stage in mileage - yours at 36k is low miles but it has been known to happen in even fewer miles. Advantage - you will get a 2 year warranty from an OPC.

2 is dubious as you do not know the internal condition of any gearbox (or engine) from a breaker. Advantage - less expensive than 1.

3 is the most 'affordable' solution in the right hands and can cure the issue as well as put right any other things that are found during the strip.
Advantage - you will know for sure the car is sorted. Cost can vary depending on what else they find.

I can only recommend one guy for anything to do with gearbox rebuilds - call Mike at Sports & Classic in Knutsford. He advertises on this forum and his web page lists prices for gearbox jobs (but final price will depend on what else he finds). He is a Porsche and gearbox expert and has people sending him gearboxes from all over. I don't know where you live but he did the PPI on my Turbo last year and he is very thorough in all that he does. He knows these boxes inside out.

Did you have your gearbox done shortly after buying it?

Have you sorted out your gearbox issue or is it still crunching. Please do update us so that we can also be aware of the problem and the fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Damos_Cars
Back