Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.2 Sports Seats - best way to gain leg room?

youngsyr

Hockenheim
Hi all, hoping someone can help me find some additional legroom in my 2002 996.2 Turbo Coupe with manual slide sports seats.

I'm not that tall at 6'0 and am a bit on the large side, but I'm really struggling to fit my legs in the car properly. Ideally I'd like to be able to drop the seat by another inch and be able to push it back a couple of inches.

There's plenty of room behind the back of the seat and the seat cushion behind it, at least 4", but my seat won't slide any further back.

I'd like to keep the standard seats if possible as they match the Metropole interior, are embossed and heated.

Didn't have this problem in my 1999 C2 cab with comfort fully electric non-heated seats or in the 718 with manual non heated I drove recently.

Is there anyway to replace the sliders/mounts or adapt them to give a little extra room? :?:

Thanks! :thumb:

Standard seats should easily go far enough back for 6ft. Check there's not something stuck in the runners. I had this issue with my passenger seat. Turned out the cig lighter from the dash was stuck in the runners blocking the seat from going all the way back.

Other option is to look for some 997/987 seats. They go about and inch lower and further back on the runners than. 996 seats. The standard 997 seats are also a bit more supportive than the 996 sports seats. Only issue is that they didn't do metropole blue on the 9x7 cars but they did do a blue that looks pretty close.

UncleP said:
Standard seats should easily go far enough back for 6ft. Check there's not something stuck in the runners. I had this issue with my passenger seat. Turned out the cig lighter from the dash was stuck in the runners blocking the seat from going all the way back.

Other option is to look for some 997/987 seats. They go about and inch lower and further back on the runners than. 996 seats. The standard 997 seats are also a bit more supportive than the 996 sports seats. Only issue is that they didn't do metropole blue on the 9x7 cars but they did do a blue that looks pretty close.

Thanks, I'll check the runners! :thumb:

There is a stop on the runners that gives you a bit more travel if removed. You could add a brace or washers if you are concerned about supporting the runners. There is a bit about this on my running thread in the 996 section.
nu6cDvf.jpg

TV8 said:
There is a stop on the runners that gives you a bit more travel if removed. You could add a brace or washers if you are concerned about supporting the runners. There is a bit about this on my running thread in the 996 section.
nu6cDvf.jpg

Good info, thanks. :thumb:

Looks like it's there to protect the seat mounting bolt from being continually whacked by the slider. Shouldn't be a problem for me as the seat won't be moved once it's set.

I ended up putting 997 seats in my C2, and took out the centre console.

I'm 6ft 2 and fit fine now!!

youngsyr said:
TV8 said:
nu6cDvf.jpg

Looks like it's there to protect the seat mounting bolt from being continually whacked by the slider. Shouldn't be a problem for me as the seat won't be moved once it's set.

I assume you simply remove the star headed bolt and that gives you an extra inch of room? Any issues of it coming off the rails?

Matt99man said:
youngsyr said:
TV8 said:
nu6cDvf.jpg

I assume you simply remove the star headed bolt and that gives you an extra inch of room? Any issues of it coming off the rails?

That star headed bolt holds the seat to the floor, you definitely want to replace it after removing to get the spacer out!

I wonder if you can reverse the spacer do the 'stop' is behind the bolt instead 9f in front of it?

It does make me wonder if the spacer is there to protect something under the seat - it looks very deliberately put there, and Porsche don't make a habit of fitting superfluous parts to their cars?

Extend my seat will give you several more inches. I have an unused one for the drivers seat. There should be a for sale ad for it last year. It comes from the US, I just didn't get round to fitting to my Turbo at the time.

mavster said:
Extend my seat will give you several more inches. I have an unused one for the drivers seat. There should be a for sale ad for it last year. It comes from the US, I just didn't get round to fitting to my Turbo at the time.

PM me if you're looking to sell your one. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeff dussault
Back