Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.2 c2 - Silencer-Sports-VALVETRONIC-DesignTek

james88

New member
Joined
29 Aug 2012
Messages
21
Hi everyone,
I'm fairly new on here, lots of good info.

I currently have 996.2 c2 manual coupe with recent Hartech 3.9L engine upgrade.

Also Topgear sports headers, FVD X-pipe with Red back 200c high flow cats, Top gear quiet muffler which was too quiet (funny about that😁) so had the bypass done it. Still find it a little quiet 🤔.

Missing that throaty deep crackle and pop sound.
Previously had a GT4 which sounded perfect !! Hard act to follow.

I'm looking at at this system and wondering if anyone has had any real life experiences with sound quality and reliability quality. Also wondering if the flaps would eventually stop working and maybe go for non adjustable.

https://www.design911.com/Exhaust-M...VETRONIC-DesignTek-for-Porsche-996/prod13019/

Im in Australia and no issues with salt corrosion.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Jim
 
Ok, Just read some no so good reviews stating the muffler baffles breaking up.

I'll steer clear of all Design Tek products.
 
I have a targa 996.2 with topgear sports steel boxes with the rest standard , it's loud but fun but not much on the snap and crackles,
Can send you a video but it's very subjective.
 
Simon911rose said:
I have a targa 996.2 with topgear sports steel boxes with the rest standard , it's loud but fun but not much on the snap and crackles,
Can send you a video but it's very subjective.

Thank you Simon, l'd love to hear it.
Can you post video on here?
 
I'm looking at the same designtek exhaust exhaust. Also would really love to know opinions.

I currently have the original PSE exhaust and I LOVE the sound + crackles but it's now rotten through and tbh I think £3000 is a bit excessive for OEM mufflers.
 
I have the Designtek Supremacy on my 996.2. This effectively has a gundo hack from new.

No crackles or pops am afraid, but does sound much better than stock (in my opinion, which is subjective).

Have read and heard that Designtek exhausts (and some other exhausts makes) are actually made by Top Gear. Mine certainly looks very similar to a Topgear product I have seen. Have had it on for a few years and not noticed any issues, but will admit I dont use the car that often.
 
I have the DT exhaust. I got it as Top Gear were out of stock.

I thought it was good quality when I bought it and no probs after 2 years

Sounds good when the valves are closed and awesome through a tunnel when open!
 
Thanks, that's got me sold. I'll be ordering the kit next week. Not looking forward to the hours I'll be spending cutting and hammering out all the rusty old bolts 😬
 
Thanks for the replies.
My brother in-law was also interested in DT but opted to run with Milltek mufflers, they come with lifetime warranty, most other brands only have 1 yr.

Sound clips sounds like what l'm looking for.

I'll wait to hear his impressions.
 
My Brother inlaw and l both placed an order for Milltek mufflers, ETA quoted by end of June.
I'll post up my impressions if anyone is interested.

Thanks for all the replies.
 
Welcome to the forums! I was also debating various exhaust options a while ago and couldn't decide which way to go, so for now I just added the bypass to my existing Dansk boxes. Cheap & very effective for me.

Milltek was also on my list but few people seem to go this way, many preferring TopGear, Dansk or Cargraphics. Would be great to hear your feedback once you get them installed, although as you already have the super desirable 3.9 conversion it might sound different (and probably even better) compared to us 'regular' people :)
 
I fitted Milltek silencers last year and I'm very happy with them :thumbs:

I previously had Top Gear sports silencers with original cats and manifolds, the Millteks were fitted along with Top Gear manifolds and 63mm 200 cell x-pipe cats so it's not easy to make a direct comparison between the silencers but I'm very happy with the end result, I liked the Top Gear silencers but it's a much more refined sound now, it's actually quieter when cruising but with an addictive race car howl and growl when pressing on :thumb:
 
jezgreen911 said:
I fitted Milltek silencers last year and I'm very happy with them :thumbs:

I previously had Top Gear sports silencers with original cats and manifolds, the Millteks were fitted along with Top Gear manifolds and 63mm 200 cell x-pipe cats so it's not easy to make a direct comparison between the silencers but I'm very happy with the end result, I liked the Top Gear silencers but it's a much more refined sound now, it's actually quieter when cruising but with an addictive race car howl and growl when pressing on :thumb:

Thanks for sharing.
Why did you change out the Top Gear silencers?
So the Milltek is more refined "BETTER" sound than the Top Gear?
Loud enough for you?

Copy and paste from Top Gear site
"The sound on these silencers is an highly aggressive sports tone; very likely the loudest exhaust silencers for 996 Carrera on the market! Not for the faint of heart,"

I have this quieter one but added the "Gundo Hack" (bypass pipes) but still find it a little quiet until you hit the higher revs.
"If you are interested in similar performance enhancements but not as loud an exhaust, we stock a milder tone pair of silencer for 996- check out our related products."
 
I replaced my OEM back boxes last year and was torn between the Top Gear Mild Sports and the Sports Sound as well as Milltek. The Top Gear solutions were either too quiet (Mild Sports) or too loud (Sports Sound) and subjectively neither sounded aurally pleasing to my ears. In the end I paid the premium for the Milltek and haven't regretted it. In terms of loudness I would expect the Milltek sits between the Top Gear silencers. It is one of those exhausts where you can regulate the sound level with your accelerator pedal to omit a cup car sound without sounding like a bag of spanners. No drone at cruising speeds either. Occasional pops at low speeds. Sounds like a boxer at idle. They are louder than stock but refined across the rev range and sound like a sports car should without being embarrassing.

I have a cold air intake pipe, Helmholtz delete and a sports panel filter fitted, stock otherwise.

There are a few videos on YouTube of the Milltek for your viewing pleasure.

Looking forward to hear what you think of the Milltek compared to your current set up. :thumb:
 
GBinSWE said:
I replaced my OEM back boxes last year and was torn between the Top Gear Mild Sports and the Sports Sound as well as Milltek. The Top Gear solutions were either too quiet (Mild Sports) or too loud (Sports Sound) and subjectively neither sounded aurally pleasing to my ears. In the end I paid the premium for the Milltek and haven't regretted it. In terms of loudness I would expect the Milltek sits between the Top Gear silencers. It is one of those exhausts where you can regulate the sound level with your accelerator pedal to omit a cup car sound without sounding like a bag of spanners. No drone at cruising speeds either. Occasional pops at low speeds. Sounds like a boxer at idle. They are louder than stock but refined across the rev range and sound like a sports car should without being embarrassing.

I have a cold air intake pipe, Helmholtz delete and a sports panel filter fitted, stock otherwise.

There are a few videos on YouTube of the Milltek for your viewing pleasure.

Looking forward to hear what you think of the Milltek compared to your current set up. :thumb:

Thank you for such a positive comprehensive review, this is exactly what l was looking for.
Yes l did see the Milltek videos, they all sound very good. And l do agree with you on the Top Gear sound.
I think l'm on a winner. 👌
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,846
Messages
1,449,134
Members
50,055
Latest member
mrmward27
Back
Top