Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 vs 997.1

996c4elfer

I've acquired a really nice 997.1 which I thought was going to replace my 996 but having driven them back to back I'm on the fence as which I should keep.

I'm comparing my 996.1 C4 with a 997.1 C2.

I was really hankering to scratch an itch and try a 911 C2 having only ever driven my C4 and the opportunity to jump to the 997 as a change also seemed to make sense.

Having driven them back to back a number of times now though I'm not entirely convinced that the 997 is the car to keep. It is arguably a better car in every way by 'modern' standards and it's hard to think that there is only 6 years between them, but it's just doesn't feel as engaging to drive.

I like old cars, and the 996 feels like a car from another era where as the 997 could be compared to driving a modern Audi for example. The 997 is smoother, faster, more comfortable, has more tricks (Chrono sport pack with PASM, remapped throttle response, switchable exhaust etc) and it's undeniably prettier (sorry, but it is...).

My hang up though is that the 997 in providing all these things with such aplomb just doesn't engage the same seat of the pants go kart like sensory experience that the 996 provides.

In short you'd have to drive the 997 much faster to provide the same thrill and enjoyment as the 996, which on public roads just isn't my bag.

I appreciate choosing which 911 to keep is a very first world problem, and obviously this forum is going to be biased in favour of the 996, but I'd be interested to hear the feedback from other forum members who've had experience of both the 996 and 997 to see what comparisons others may draw between them.

You're in the enviable position of having both cars at the same time so nobody else will be better able to make that decision.

You've already identified the differences between the two cars. All you can do now is decide which set of 'pros' is most important to you by driving them both in similar sets of circumstances/ types of roads etc.

Better still ............ keep them both. :wink:

I had a similar itch after my first year of owning a 996.2 c2 with a hartech 3.6, & briefly considered upgrading to a 997.

I popped down to 911v to test drive a 997 3.8 c2 with pasm, chrono, bose, pse & all the toys. It was a lovely car, but it just didn't engage me the way my 996 does.

So I'm in complete agreement with your comment:
"My hang up though is that the 997 in providing all these things with such aplomb just doesn't engage the same seat of the pants go kart like sensory experience that the 996 provides."

That test drive helped me to decide my 996 was a keeper, & I've continued to "invest" some of the money I'd "saved" from not swapping to the 997, on further improvements (wheels, suspension, audio, exhaust) & fixing anything that needed doing.

Not owned a 997 but have had some seat time in a few variants and this statement sums up my thoughts to some extent.

996c4elfer said:
I like old cars, and the 996 feels like a car from another era where as the 997 could be compared to driving a modern Audi for example.

For me the 997 didn't feel like a modern Audi. It felt like an out of date modern car where as the 996 felt like a car from a completely different era. Its very hard to explain that in a way that makes sense as I'm not saying the 996 is better than the 997 or that I prefer the design. I prefer an older cars and small things like dim orange dash lighting, plastics that are a bit meh, controls that feel honest just all add to an experience that seems to suit me.

I think most folk outside this sub forum would definitely say the 997. It's normal for folk to equate newer to be an "upgrade" and the 996 will always be most people's least favourite. Its difficult to put others perceptions aside but ultimately it's you that will have to live with the car.

996c4elfer said:
I appreciate choosing which 911 to keep is a very first world problem, and obviously this forum is going to be biased in favour of the 996, but I'd be interested to hear the feedback from other forum members who've had experience of both the 996 and 997 to see what comparisons others may draw between them.

:grin: I had a change over period where I briefly had my 996 C2 and my 996 turbo. It was fun, enlightening to be able to drive them back to back.

I'm surprised by your comments relating to the 997.1, that is exactly how I felt about the 997.2. It felt like a much more modern but also less organic and natural drive. Like a mk7 golf gti. It felt noticably heavier and sounded more digital. Overall it was a more refined and a more isolated experience. I think in time I'd have come to love it but you definitely had to dig deeper to feel what I define as Porsche character.

I felt all the comments made about the 996 vs the 993 were exactly transferable to 997 vs 996.

From my brief test drive of a 997.1 C2S I thought that was perhaps closer to the 996 in character than it is to the 997.2. It was noisier in the cabin and more sonorous.

I suspect in the end you'll fall in love with the 997 as it still has a lot of those recognisable, lovable characteristics under the skin and offers a more refinement and comfort.. but years later (when they are twice the price), you'll probably hanker after another 996 because it felt the more visceral driving experience :wink:

Thanks all, there's some useful feedback there. Obviously the choice is wholly subjective, but a decision is easier to make with a greater span of experience from others.

T8 said:
6 years ago I was in a similar position to you and it didn't take long to realise that the 997 was a step up.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=105026&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=comparisons
The comparison between the 996T and 997T was interesting, it definitley mirrors how I've been feeling about the difference between the two Carrera's except I guess I weight more bias towards a nostalgic feel as my own personal preference.

sp1ke said:
I had a similar itch after my first year of owning a 996.2 c2 with a hartech 3.6, & briefly considered upgrading to a 997.

I popped down to 911v to test drive a 997 3.8 c2 with pasm, chrono, bose, pse & all the toys. It was a lovely car, but it just didn't engage me the way my 996 does.

So I'm in complete agreement with your comment:
"My hang up though is that the 997 in providing all these things with such aplomb just doesn't engage the same seat of the pants go kart like sensory experience that the 996 provides."

That test drive helped me to decide my 996 was a keeper, & I've continued to "invest" some of the money I'd "saved" from not swapping to the 997, on further improvements (wheels, suspension, audio, exhaust) & fixing anything that needed doing.
Interesting, if I keep the 996 I'll be investing in it well beyond the point that it's currently worth in terms of market value. I know this shouldn't be an issue for a keeper, but it's a commitment that would be easier to make if you felt the values of the cars would keep pace with the spend invested.

If I'd bought that 964 10 years ago for example (FFS, I almost did...) I'd have little concern about spending another £20K on engine rebuilds, suspension etc as you know you'd still be able to break even if you wanted later to move it on.

UncleP said:
I prefer an older cars and small things like dim orange dash lighting, plastics that are a bit meh, controls that feel honest just all add to an experience that seems to suit me.
Me too, that's part of the problem!

Trying to rationaise to yourself to follow your heart and ignore the common logic. I actually quite like the 'poverty spec' of my 996 C4, with the little door pockets instead of speakers, basic stereo and central console delete. My head says I should keep the low milage tricked out 997 and sell the high milage basic 996 but when you drive them back to back it's the 996 that calls to me!

DivineE said:
I'm surprised by your comments relating to the 997.1, that is exactly how I felt about the 997.2. It felt like a much more modern but also less organic and natural drive....... I think in time I'd have come to love it but you definitely had to dig deeper to feel what I define as Porsche character.
I guess maybe if you were jumping from a 996.2 into a 997.1 there would be less noticeable difference, some of the difference is down to the comparison in character between the more rev needy 3.4 and greater low down torque of the 3.6 coming into play I think...

DivineE said:
I felt all the comments made about the 996 vs the 993 were exactly transferable to 997 vs 996.

From my brief test drive of a 997.1 C2S I thought that was perhaps closer to the 996 in character than it is to the 997.2. It was noisier in the cabin and more sonorous.

I suspect in the end you'll fall in love with the 997 as it still has a lot of those recognisable, lovable characteristics under the skin and offers a more refinement and comfort.. but years later (when they are twice the price), you'll probably hanker after another 996 because it felt the more visceral driving experience :wink:
That latter point linked to the comparion between 993v996 and 996v997 is again something I've been trying to rationalise during this thought process. I do have more of a bias towards classic cars rather than modern and new so something with a more 'classic' feel but everyday drivability does seem to sit with the 964/993/996 generations.

As I said before there's no element of trying to car invest here as I don't belive that's a thing, whatever I choose to keep it's going to be a daily driver but there is an element of remaining careful not to lose car experience opportunities as markets change. I think if I kept the 997 it would continue to endere itself to me, but I can't help feeling that the 996 ( specifically MY 996 ) could become one of those cars I feel I shouldn't have let go...

Anybody got a crystal ball?
This is just turning into open air public rambling on my part now.... :lol:

What more are these forums for than owners to have a place to ramble freely about the cars you own and love with like minded owners when regularly people stop listening :thumbs:

I've enjoyed reading all your thoughts.

Fully agree there's something slightly more special about the Gen 1 cars. Even the text font of the numbers on the dash is just a bit more.. characterful.

I do love the mid range grunt of the 3.6 though. Maybe a Hartech 3.9 rebuild in a Gen 1 is the answer? :?:

Interesting dilemma. You had an itch, you've scratched it. Only you can decide which you prefer and have the good fortune to be able to drive them back to back as often as you want. A good position to be in :)

How you will use the car is also a good place to view it from, and how much you connect with it. For me connection is always very important, as they are things to enjoy. How much £ you need to spend to get them to where you want, another factor.

The grass is often greener on the other side, but does it taste as good? Only you can decide that one, taste is personal. Each car will have common DNA but also be different enough to have different pros and cons. Given the age, they will also have worn differently too and have their own idiosyncrasies.

One final thought I often have: better the devil you know. It's always a risk taking on something new, so the benefits should outweigh.

Not exactly the same comparison but might give food for thought:

Interesting that your 996 is a C4, I changed my 996 C4 for a 997 C2S and didn't like the tendency to laterally rock and roll, changed to a 997 C4S and handling was transformed. Three 997's later and all of them are knocked into a cocked hat by the 991 C4S which I have now, sounds like a Porsche which the 997's never did, (didn't notice any difference with PSE) handles superbly and you can actually use it for serious touring without being driven nuts by tyre roar.

Ive not watched that video yet but its seems a familiar postion with regards to how I bought my first 911.
Budget meant early 997 or nice 996 C4s.
Tried a 3.6 997 and whilst I loved the drive it was interior that put me off, the silver plastics etc. Its was in a period where it should have felt "new" but just felt like it was starting to get left behind. The 996 felt old straight away with no silver plastic (can you tell thats a pet hate for me), much more my thing.

In the end the 996 C4s won me over a lot more, driving wise Id say it was a little more raw as well. As has been said it depends on what your looking for, I like the 997's and they are a better car if using more / day to day so it really just depends what your using it for.

coullstar said:
In the end the 996 C4s won me over a lot more, driving wise Id say it was a little more raw as well. As has been said it depends on what your looking for, I like the 997's and they are a better car if using more / day to day so it really just depends what your using it for.
Which is pretty much the conclusion from the video. It's funny how newer = better everywhere, and you kind of get used to it. Then you go back to older stuff again and it's like 'wow, I have to work a lot more to drive this. Actually it's more engaging & fun but not sure I want to do it every day'.

There's a 911 for every ocassion that's why we always have these debates. So then you just have to get one of each. :)

I have owned a 996.1 c2 for 6 years now when I was looking for her I new
I wanted a 911 but didn't know much about them so could tell you the difference between a 993 or 997
I test drove 3 911s back to back a 997.1 a 996.2 c4s and my 996.1c2 all were great cars and all in my budget so open minded about which one could be coming home. Also important here I was not a member of this site had not looked at reviews on the inter web so jo idea there was a thing called fried eggs or even a hated 911.
So the cars the 997.1 was nice but didn't feel special the nav system even 6 years ago dated it the interior was good quality functional but felt dated the drive was a revelation the performance was great then came the c4s very pretty car liked the look inside and out the drive was also great but I felt the
4 wheel drive kept the car too planted compared to the c2 which felt more alive and agile. So then came the cheapest of the group very low spec central locking was only luxury but wow I loved her look and the drive felt special she felt classic not dated like the 997. So I bought it and spend way to much on her but she is my 911 and a keeper

Attachments

• 33fc38a2_27d4_4c83_a01a_3ea4ae0f59ef_207.jpeg
    33fc38a2_27d4_4c83_a01a_3ea4ae0f59ef_207.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 3,291
tob_today said:
coullstar said:
Which is pretty much the conclusion from the video. It's funny how newer = better everywhere, and you kind of get used to it. Then you go back to older stuff again and it's like 'wow, I have to work a lot more to drive this. Actually it's more engaging & fun but not sure I want to do it every day'.

There's a 911 for every ocassion that's why we always have these debates. So then you just have to get one of each. :)

Having to work for it or think about your driving is part of it for me. I'd hate the 996 if I had to put up with it's quirks and demands every day. Stepping in to it for a drive at the weekend is novel. Like stepping in to a time machine.

Before I bought it as an additional car I considered a 991 as my "do it all" only car. At the time I had a B8 RS4 as my do it all car. While it did everything very well it wasn't a car I ever took out for the sake of a drive. The local OPC gave ma a 24hr test drive of a 991.2 C4S. I came away from the 991 feeling it was just a less practical version of the RS4. It felt so similar, so easy to drive, so forgiving. It made me realise I wasn't ever going to find what I wanted in a newer car as I have no interest in more technology and more speed.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dicreamio
Back