Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993tt handling

goldsaxophone

i am hopfully treating myself to a 1996 993tt over xmas.

how does the 993tt compare in terms of handling( not nessacerily speed) to other 993 models?

thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 103204

similiar to the rest of the 4wd range, mild understeer except for the power delivery which is very powerful in the rev range when the tt's wake up....

but with beefed up brakes and suspension it all copes with it very well

Migration info. Legacy thread was 103218

mid turn, can you make the back oversteer CONTROLABLY with application of power ?or does the 4wd prevent that.

also is it fun/rewarding to drive,

hopfully more forgiving then say a TVR?

thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 103222

i was able to get the back out on C4S, which had a lot less power, turning psm does this, the split on 4wd, in a 993 I am not sure of, however the 996 varies it depending on what it needs, so back end out easy enough,

though the GT3 likes to wag its tail ;)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 103225

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by goldsaxophone on 23 December 2006
mid turn, can you make the back oversteer CONTROLABLY with application of power ?or does the 4wd prevent that.
also is it fun/rewarding to drive,
hopfully more forgiving then say a TVR?
thanks

Oversteer in the 993TT is very hard to elicit unless the road surface is very loose - and certainly not at road legal speeds if the road is dry. Imho, all 4wd 993s are pretty bland to drive... the 2wd variants are far more entertaining.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 103237

thats what i was thinking.

i love the look of the 993 tt, but is their greatness then an urban myth?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 103276

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by goldsaxophone on 23 December 2006

thats what i was thinking.

i love the look of the 993 tt, but is their greatness then an urban myth?
Certainly not, in the view of the mass public the legend is the 911 Turbo. A 911 GTx is IMHO a better car but more boutique, which is why every new 911 Turbo launch is very popular with the press and the public, as everyone has heard of a 911 Turbo.

It has and continues to be the 911 benchmark against it great Italian adversary, Ferrari.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 103297

My last car was a 993 C4S and I have to say that in all the time I had her (about 1 year) the tail stepped out on 2 occasions: one coming off M25 (A3 junc - diesel spill) and a lift off oversteer incident at about 80+ on the way to Shaftsbury (and that's a secret between the laundry man and myself).

Current car is like the Millennium Falcon and is very planted, but I'm sure you could make it come unstuck if you really wanted to. I actually fear the expensive repair bill.

Anyway, I have to agree with 'oceancarerra', probably the 2 wheeled versions are more 'sporting', but I love the oooomph of the Turbo (and it has looks to die for (IMHO):

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/IMG_1036%20(568%20x%20426)(3).jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 103514

that looks a real beauty!!!

any plans to change it? or a silly question?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 103517

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 23 December 2006

Oversteer in the 993TT is very hard to elicit unless the road surface is very loose - and certainly not at road legal speeds if the road is dry. Imho, all 4wd 993s are pretty bland to drive... the 2wd variants are far more entertaining.

I found it easier in a 993 TT than a 993 C4S......

Ocean you're not trying hard enough :wink:

but you have to be pushing hard and that's really hard !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 103753

You wont regret buying a 993tt for the power, awe and sheer styling.

Unbelievable power. Bought mine last year with 460 horses and does she go........

Good Luck and happt driving!! :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 103777

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Ray Kelly on 26 December 2006

You wont regret buying a 993tt for the power, awe and sheer styling.

Unbelievable power. Bought mine last year with 460 horses and does she go........

Good Luck and happt driving!! :)

so we will look forward to some picture then ! :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 103785

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Simon A on 24 December 2006

Current car is like the Millennium Falcon and is very planted, but I'm sure you could make it come unstuck if you really wanted to. I actually fear the expensive repair bill.

Simon - you didnt really want to did u, freaky or just psychic?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104861

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Chris W on 30 December 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Simon A on 24 December 2006

Simon - you didnt really want to did u, freaky or just psychic?
Sod's Law!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104885

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by goldsaxophone on 24 December 2006

that looks a real beauty!!!

any plans to change it? or a silly question?
See my latest on 'and then I went sideways'.......to answer your question, NO, just need to giver her some TLC.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 104886

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markyp
Back