Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993s and number of miles

SecondWind

Trainee
I spent a fair bit of time searching for the right 993 and ended up buying one with 180,000 miles on the clock - something I thought I would never do - because the car looked and drove so well. :thumbs: :thumbs:

I've spent a bit making sure there are no leaks (only one was from the gearbox) and fixing a little rust on the front scuttle but otherwise the car is pretty much perfect ... just a slightly sweaty oil cooler to keep an eye on. Not sure how expensive this will prove to replace - given my OCD I may need to next year! :roll:

What are others thoughts on miles?

Cheers, SecondWind

High mileage puts a lot off but personally I'd go for condition first and then cross reference with purchase price.

993 owners are more hung up on mileage than 964 but as we have seen with the latter they still fetch good money with 100k+ miles.

As ever the top tip "You can't polish a turd" :nooo:

Sure, the price needs to be sensible but this paranoia about miles seems to be misleading. My car did most of its miles in the early years and has been pampered the last 8-10 years or so by OCD owners, who have replaced everything worn/tired etc. The previous owner to me did about 5k in 4 years but spent 20k on keeping the car tip top.

8)

:thumb:

Surely better than a tired 50k example?????

Sounds like a very clever purchase to me ...

There's plenty here (including me :roll: ) who've spent crazy money keeping our 993's out of Zingos "turd" category.
It sounds like you're reaping the benefit of the previous owners passion.
Happy daze! :thumbs:

Zingari said:

I love this quote because it always reminds me of the business meeting where we were discussing how to deal with competitors.

Our CEO was banging on about how our products are much better quality than the competition and that potential clients would quickly spot that our competitor's products were substandard because .........and finished his sentence with the phrase "you can't polish a turd". Unfortunately he then paused for dramatic effect giving a junior member of staff the chance to chip in with.........

"but you can roll it in glitter!"

On reflection, I guess you had to be there but it seemed hilarious at the time. The staff member was applauded by colleagues for his wit but I doubt it did much for his career prospects.

Anyway, on the subject of mileage we bought our 993 for what I considered a bargain price because it had done 104k miles and has now done 112k and I love the fact that its high mileage and worthless because we just drive it without worrying about the miles.

Also, having read that Rennlist thread by the guy who has just clocked up 300k miles without an engine rebuild it seems obvious these cars were built to last and to be driven. On that basis 180k is barely run in!

In case you haven't read it.......

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/993-forum/770691-993s-are-made-for-driving-300-000-a.html

ballcock said:
Sounds like a very clever purchase to me ...

There's plenty here (including me :roll: ) who've spent crazy money keeping our 993's out of Zingos "turd" category. :thumbs:

You sure you're not a plumber :dont know:

Its ridiculously easy to disconnect the speedo on aircooled 911's,
meaning that even a fully documented history does not mean it has not been run disconnected between servicing.
Just buy one on current condition as average milers seemingly need just as much remedial attention as the high milers ....

Love the turd story! ..
Zingo, any problems with your plumbing you can keep well away from me :p

Re comments on clocking .. Spot on I say!
I wonder sometimes how many of our cars have genuine mileage.

At least the op can be fairly sure of his odo!

Excellent turd story. I shall definitely use it at the first opportunity (hopefully a meeting with the CEO).

If mine has been clocked, it has been wound the wrong way :?: I was puzzled as it doesn't quite look like a 180k miles car!!

:wink:

I'm at 112k, and plan to keep going. I had my oil cooler and fan resistor replaced last year by Precision. Cost was 699 inc VAT.

blindspot said:
I'm at 112k, and plan to keep going. I had my oil cooler and fan resistor replaced last year by Precision. Cost was 699 inc VAT.

Oil coolers areound £250 + £50 for ballast resistor. Quite straight forward to change if DIY inclined. They can however be refurbished.

Pipes cost an arm and a leg :eek: Unless you know someone who can make up high pressure hoses

Zingari said:
Pipes cost an arm and a leg :eek: Unless you know someone who can make up high pressure hoses

Can you give the plumbing a rest!?
It's putting me off me dinner :mrgreen:

Zingari said:
High mileage puts a lot off but personally I'd go for condition first and then cross reference with purchase price.

993 owners are more hung up on mileage than 964 but as we have seen with the former they still fetch good money with 100k+ miles.

EFA (as always) :hand:

:hand: Booo knows FA about 964, but quite a lot about 993 and high mileage and he appears to speak with some authority.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xx22
Back