Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Varioram or Non-Varioram

mrloneranger

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of buying a 911 993. I've seen a few cars about in my prices range and 1 particular one has poped up. It's a 95 C4, he's looking to buying a 997 and has found the car of his dreams but obviously can't do anything until he's sold is 993. He's prepared to take 21-23k for a 95 C4 72Kmiles but 7 owners.

What are the main differences between the Vario's and the non?

Would you be put of by the high number owners?

Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75427

Are you The Lone Ranger, or a loan arranger?

Do a search on varios vs non varios, it has been covered a few times and each has it's own supporters.

Price doesn't sound bad, and as for the number of owners, as a certain Uxbridge based gentleman says, buy on condition.

HTH

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75433

non-V = 272 bhp from late 1993 to 1995

V = from late 1995 to early 1998, 285 bhp and more torque in a better spread across the rev range.... so always worth a bit more

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75443

Non-varios respond better to getting chipped for c.£500

Easy to get a non-vario chipped to produce better numbers than a vario car.

Also, some non-vario/earlier cars tend to use sprocketed 964 cams that don't slip unlike later 993s.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75460

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 21 September 2006
Non-varios respond better to getting chipped for c.£500
Easy to get a non-vario chipped to produce better numbers than a vario car.
Also, some non-vario/earlier cars tend to use sprocketed 964 cams that don't slip unlike later 993s.

I can't quite believe that. Taking two identical cars, one varioram and one non-varioram to a rolling road tunner would surely result in the varioram car being able to make better figures as it has a slightly more optimised induction system.

Or are there other factors affecting the performance of the two engines?

Ian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75573

Taking two identical cars both working as they should, tuned to the same extend, then yes, the vario will give better performance.

However, in reality, a lot of vario samples, for one reason or another, fail to produce the stated output. Also the non-vario has a bit of a kick when it goes "on cam", which gives the impression of an extra ooomph, not so obvious on a vario.

Also as well as the sprocketed cam, earler 993 uses different gear ratio and therefore gives better acceleration.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 75593

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCGMS
Back