Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 turbo

vroomvroom

Hockenheim
Hi Guys

I am looking for a rhd 993 turbo - I am a bit ignorant when it comes to the prices as they seem to be all over the place.

I have seen two advertised for mid £40’s both with less than £20k miles, good history, condition spec – not cat d etc

Cars with about 60k to 70k miles for mid to late £30’s (again good cars)

Then they are the cars that are between £50k and £65k – As far as I can see no difference to the cars in group 1 (above) Why the difference?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122566

Can't really answer on the differences but, smtk has an excellent example of a 993 turbo on here for sale.

Turbo

Sorry if that doesn't help.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122568

Best of luck looking for a 993 Turbo - a good choice and should hold its value well. Drop me a line if you are going to use finance to purchase.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122569

Wow. I would be pretty p'd off if I got those two responses to a genuine first post as a new visitor (and potential addition) to the 911uk site. First impressions last I reckon and with the utmost respect to both of you (you're obviously nice people and are always generous with advice) plugging to people over open forums like this is not the way to go. All IMO of course.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122572

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by vroomvroom on 06 March 2007
Then they are the cars that are between £50k and £65k – As far as I can see no difference to the cars in group 1 (above) Why the difference?

Welcome to 911UK by the way :)
I'm a relative newcomer here myself.

There are several factors that effect the 993 Turbo - there was a factory performance upgrade which took the cars to (from memory) 420bhp - and then there's the Turbo S - with much of the performance GT2's engine upgrades.

The only cars I've seen up at £50+ are the Turbo S's and they're rare old things - it's personal preference as to whether they're worth the massive additional premium.

Specification has little to do with price as the UK cars were all fully loaded anyway. Condition and history, as with any older car, is the key to value.

Don't be put off by cars with 40k+ miles - as long as they've been serviced on the nose and well cared for, the 993 took the punishment :)

Do post some links of the cars you've seen and we'll try and give you some advice on each. There are supprisingly few out there (it was a very expensive car when new) and a couple of dogs are around.

I would have thought you should be into a nice mid mileage good condition car for £38k to £42k - I loved my old black one - they're very special pieces of kit :wink:

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122573

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Simon W on 06 March 2007

Wow. I would be pretty p'd off if I got those two responses to a genuine first post as a new visitor (and potential addition) to the 911uk site. First impressions last I reckon and with the utmost respect to both of you (you're obviously nice people and are always generous with advice) plugging to people over open forums like this is not the way to go. All IMO of course.

tbh tho Simon,Soo Poo wasn't really plugging smtk's car but pointing vroomvroom in the direction of a sound and well-cared for example of a 993TT and JamieG was just pointing out that he can offer an extremely competitive financial service should he need to finance his purchase,its not like JamieG doesn't contribute a lot of non-financial posts on threads,in fact if JamieG hadn't have offered up his financial services I'd imagine someone else would have mentioned JamieG.........all IMHO too of course

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122580

I'd let Jamie get away with it ONLY because he's getting rid of his KN and getting a 911!! :wink:

Welcome vroom vroom BTW, you're not driving a Toyota at the moment are you?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122584

True. Sorry you've taken offence Rodders. I didn't intend for you to take it personally. Both So Poo and JamieG and indeed yourself all act as valued contributors to the forum. Just think there is a case to be made for appropriate timing in offering services to people and that under these particular circumstances I felt (perhaps wrongly) that the two responses put to a brand new member were not condusive to encouraging any further involvement. That's all.

In the mean time, pjmt has done enough to exonorate. Thanks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122587

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Simon W on 06 March 2007

True. Sorry you've taken offence Rodders. I didn't intend for you to take it personally.

none taken at all Simon,and I certainly didn't take it personally,was just voicing an opinion

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122592

Simon,

I see where you are coming from but IMHO I think you have read the situation wrong. I have a genuine product that many members have used and may well help the new member and save him money if he is financing. There are other people better qualified to answer car specific q's than me. If he isn't interested - no problem I will look forward to meeting him for a beer at some point along with everyone else (although not for a while as I need to recover from last nights 911uk.com event)

I am an approved trader on 911uk.com and site sponsor.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122594

Thanks for all the replies - all posts (and plugs) welcome :)

I used to have a 997 c2s which cost an arm and two legs in deprecation (as I used it as a daily drive)

I am now looking for something for just the weekends etc

As it will not be a daily drive I can afford to live with some of the idiosyncrasies of a 993 (versus 996 or 997) especially once you weigh in the lower levels of deprecation, rarity and looks over the later models.

You know how it is …

You want a 993 ( the best available) …so you start looking at the S models…notice for relatively little more and you are close to a 993 Turbo…then reality hits you that you are actually close to 996 turbo, 997 (non s) or top spec 996 4S money.

I think with my sensible hat on I would consider a 993 turbo for middle to late 30’s and a 4s (993) for early £30’s.

However all that aside I am tempted at this silver one ??

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.asp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=none&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=PORSCHE&min_pr=40000&source=0&model=911&max_pr=50000&miles=1500&agerange=4&mileage=3&postcode=w3+6rs&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122597

vroomvroom, I understand where you are coming from. It is very easy to keep talking yourself up and up again on cost. Best to stick to agree a budget and stick to it - WHO AM I KIDDING! I was actually very strict with myself on max price for my new C2S.

Apart from depreciation, did you enjoy the 997 experience?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122600

Condition miles history and colours are your 4 factors

If the car has a full history and had everything done inc the bits people miss out like the front wishbones/bushes, replace the factory shocks etc. Then the car will feel a much tighter younger beast than a similar car that hasn’t.

Miles a turbo with very low miles will carry a big price tag but will also have its problems. Engines that aren’t used esp turbos suffer for being left for long periods and short trips.
Also with very low mileage car make sure it still had its service every year as some people skip servicing if they have only done a few hundred miles. I wouldn’t be scared off by high milers 70k+ but factor in how many miles you are going to do by the time you may wish to sell.

Condition is a hard one to measure. You have to bare in mind the 993 turbo was one of the first supercars that you could use everyday. This means there’s a large range in the condition of the cars.
You can pick a good 993TT for 41 to 43 but all the ones I looked at were pretty ropey inside. Generally the leather was shot and the driver’s seat sagged and the steering wheel would be polished same deal
with the gear lever. When you drove them, they didn’t feel tight which is something you can only tell by going to see them.

Last is colour there are more silver and wine red 993tt’s than any other colour. This means that demand for the dark blues and blacks is high. I wanted black when I was looking for my car and it was very hard trying to just find a black one let alone a good one.
The lighter interiors are fine as long as they have been kept clean other wise your find that they will show up age and dirt way more than the darker blues and blacks.

I’m afraid you can’t trust people to be honest about their car because everyone is a minter (according to them) you just have to do as I did and see a whole bunch of dogs to find the one little gem.

Yes my car is up for sale and I’m still very much torn about it. In theory i can keep my car and get a new one but it wouldn't be a very shrewd financial choice.
However If I ever wanted another 933TT I know its going to be very hard to find one that’s been pampered like mine. So I have to take the leap of faith and hope I’ll love the 997GT3 just as much as I love my 993TT.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122602

the c2s was great, in some ways too good.

After it I ran a boxster s and have to say it was 90% as good for 50% the cost of ownership ...however as good the boxster was (it was very good ) i always felt like a bit of a cheat in it

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122603

Wise words (smtk) re very low mile cars and everyone’s being a minter

I personally need to try and get one with lowish miles as I don’t want to be afraid to use it. I believe I cant get one with 70k+ miles as when I come to sell it, it will most likely have 90k+ and then I imagine it will be a nightmare to shift.

Unfortunately most owners can not look past mileage (I have bought and sold 3 100k+ mile sports cars) All were great cars, little problems (due to good servicing) however when it came to selling only one thing persuaded the buyers and that was a whopping discount on the “std” mileage cars.

The hang up on mileage is ridiculas however if you try and go against at you end up taking a big hit.

I guess the best solution is to buy a car with 100k miles that has already taken the majority of the hit or buy a low miler and hope it still has it's premium when I come to sell.

I forget to mention that I have a very low attention span so end up selling most of my cars after only 1 year (the last two have only averaged 5 months each) so I need to think hard about resale

See below examples

1 year nsx – total cost to own - £3.8 k

1 year 997 s – total cost to own - £16.5k

Migration info. Legacy thread was 122612

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calinours38
Back