Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Ride height

Graham Johnson

Hi Guys,

I am fitting my shiny Bilsteins HDs & std springs to my C2S. It is on 18" rims.

Would someone tell me what a good low ride height, measured to wheelarch lip, is likely to be. I want to lower it further than current F-645mm R-630 but dont want agro with speed bumps etc.

Obviously I can trial and error to find out, but would prefer to set it once.

What height do you Chaps run ?

Thanks in advance

Graham

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72504

Hi Graham, I reckon I might be able to help you here. A couple of months ago I did exactly what you are about to do - replaced the original tired shocks on my C2S with Bilstein HDs and reused the original springs. My car also runs on 18s :D

http://www.911uk.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=11&TopicID=7088&SearchPagePosition=1&search=damper+diy&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Topic&forum=0&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search

I'm sure you're already aware the C2S runs on a lowered chassis from the factory. It'll either have the standard issue M033 or optional M030. In terms of lowering it makes no difference which that car has, as it'll sit -10mm front, -20mm rear compared to a standard car.

There are particular ride height reference points Porsche use to quote ride height:

57033813.jpg

The figures are:

Standard: Front 154mm, Rear 147mm M033/M030: Front 144mm, Rear 127mmCarrera RS: Front 124mm, Rear 107mm

However what you'll find is with age and as the dampers become more tired, the ride height drops slightly below these figures (mine was -5mm lower at the back than M033 before I changed to the HDs).

If you want to lower your car further than the M033/30 spec, -10mm is the most you can go, ie. 134mm front, 117mm rear. You cannot go lower than this with the standard roll bars - the rear drop link will foul on the suspension arm. If you want to go further you'll have to fit RS anti-roll bars. I've set mine at M033 -10mm and am happy with it in all aspects. I wanted to loose some of the daylight between the front tyre and arch, and this is much better now. I also bought a front protection bar from carnewal to protect the front PU, but it hasn't ground out on anything yet so this ride height appears practical enough.

Pic below of how it sits on now with M033 -10mm.

Give me a shout if you need any further info, I'm happy to help if I can. You fitting the HDs yourself?

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/DSCN0781lores(1).jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72565

that pic is stunning, and shows why the 993 is timeless 8)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72568

I was driving the Porker today down the A417 and followed a Artic 996TT for some 10miles. Looked pretty damn nice to me too :lol:
. Driver even waved as he turned off!

911s, don't you just love 'em 8)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72570

I also am thinking of changing to bilstein and HDs on my 993 c2s. I was originally going to go with JZM. Steve from JZM strongly recommended against this and suggested the much more expensive option of the roock suspension. this was around 2000 GBP fully set up, but still uses bilsteins and some other springs and are supposed to suit the 993 better. I know that butzi has gone down this road. I'm just unsure whether the 2g roock setup is worth the extra dough over the bilstein and HDs that everyone else on here is happy with.

Butzi, what made you go down this road instead of the well trodden path of bilstein + hd at nearly 1/2 the price?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72610

st, the suspension choices are many, as ever it all boils down to what you're looking for. Is your car used for track days? Or do you wish that car handled alot more sharply? Or do you cover alot of road miles and require a good ride quality?

Ride and handling balance is essentially a compromise, a handling biased set up will sacrifice ride quality and vice versa. Trouble is one man's comfortable ride is another's bone shaker! The only sure way of knowing is to try a car out with a set up you're considering and judge for yourself.

I've never planned to track my car more than 1 or 2 times a year, so my car is essentially a road car. The ride with M033 impressed me, but the floatiness didn't and I put this down to worn shock absorbers. At the last service the rears were seen to be leaking, so they were definitely requiring replacement. I ordered my Bilstein HDs from carnewal and opted for the extra threaded versions as I wanted to use the original M033 springs but lower the car a further 10mm. I'm very happy with the results. For me the car drives and handles as it should now and still rides comfortably. If you're prepared to sacrifice some comfort, H&R springs are highly recommended by many as these will further sharpen the handling. I felt they were unneccesary for me.

The Bilstein HD shocks cost me around £700 and I fitted them myself. Alignment cost £160.

£2k seems quite alot! You'll have to judge for yourself if it's worth it for you.

I'm based in Reading - give me a shout if you fancy going out in mine to see what Bilsteins with M033 feels like.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72618

Here is a before and after picture of the ride height. You can see very little difference once the HD & H&R package had been fitted as the car was running M033 springs initially.

The before picture is on the bottom.

993Comparison.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72620

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by st on 05 September 2006

I know that butzi has gone down this road. I'm just unsure whether the 2g roock setup is worth the extra dough over the bilstein and HDs that everyone else on here is happy with.

Butzi, what made you go down this road instead of the well trodden path of bilstein + hd at nearly 1/2 the price?

to add, if I was to do it all over again, I wouldn't got for the HD's & M030's combo, rather spend some more on a complete set of H&R instead...

Hd/m030 set up is good, but under higher speed turn in and brake balance control it could be better, so s setp up to the H&R's is an option to consider.. and if you do track day then an adjustable set up should be considered!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72623

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 05 September 2006

Still not sold it Will?
Nope!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72639

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Shed17 on 05 September 2006

Previous poster said:

Still not sold it Will?
Nope!
What you going to do?

Reduce the price, or hang on to it,

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72640

i just feel the 993 c2s is not planted at high speed. My Mini coop s felt more planted at 100 mph +. If you hit a bump on the motorway, it would really feel like you're about to take off. I'll do the occasional track day, but this will be 1 or 2 a year. Just can't bear taking it on track! I do about 5000 miles max a year. (more like 4000 really).

So changing to Billie HDs would fix the ride problem ?

How much worse would the ride be if I got H&Rs as well? Would handling increase over the standard C2s springs be noticeable?

Yeh, i thought about PSS9s, but really would be overkill for my experience level.

I've booked it in with tognola with parts HDs and H&Rs and the underbody anti scrape kit from geert carnewal. would appreciate any thoughts gents (and ladies). [a bird in a 993 wide body deserves a drink or two in my book!!]

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72670

ST,

I have the HD & H&R kit from Gert. Get tognola to set ride height at M030 level and the car will be transformed. Remember to get a 4 wheel alignment done as well.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72673

Previous poster said:
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Shed17 on 05 September 2006
Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 05 September 2006 Still not sold it Will?
Nope!
What you going to do?
Reduce the price, or hang on to it,
[/i:F9j5DLY5om]

My problem is that I don't want to get rid of it as it is totally sorted, but am limited in the amount of driving I can do with my knee.

Currently getting the train to work! :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72674

get a polish driver :wink:

as long as she lives with you, she will owe you money at the end of each week :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72679

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toodog
Back