Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Rear spoiler noise

Evil Jack

Monza
Mine makes a right old racket when it retracts - (grinding/whirring noise)

Are they all like this, or does it require lubricating somewhere?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33479

Dont forget the retractible spoilers came out on a 964 in 1989most of the 993's i've had have made a noise, just when you come to stop

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33482

Check out

http://p-car.com/diy/spoilerdrive/

- mine made a coffee grinder noise but its posible to replace the rusty bearing that causes this. Just fiddly to break open the plastic housing.

I drilled the plastic housing and dripped in oil but it made no difference.

Then I bought a new unit (just a drive and bearing assembly). Dont do this unless you want to spend over 200 quid.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33489

I kind of like that noise !

adds to the experience !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33492

I am with sundeep, its cool !

Dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33494

Whirring - good/cool

Grinding - not good at all.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33496

Well, It is more of a grinding actually.... :?

That bloke at p-car.com must have a lot of free time ....I barely have the time to wash and wax my car..... :(

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33498

When I had the old spoiler had the grinding sound.

Bought the new bearing for about £3 and followed the p.car instructions. Easy DIY and resulted in the quiet operation of the spoiler.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33716

From a local bearing company. Can't remember their name, but got it out of yellow pages.

You should be able to find somebody local to you. The one thing to remember is to get the enclosed bearing, not the open type which is what Porsche fitted and leads to all the problems.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33729

Cheers - I found an online bearing company and ordered the sealed one for £2.05!

I'm going to have a go at doing this, when I get time :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33734

Just follow the instructions and you won't go wrong.

Hardest part is cracking open the case, once it is open the rest is a piece of cake.

Good luck

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33736

Can someone post this link to this company - mine is starting to grind so wouldn't mind nipping it in the bud! Thanks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33783

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBavers
Back