Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Rear lights removal?

Phil Penfound

Hi

I need to clean out some mild gunge that has collected in one of my reverse lights. I assume that to do this I have to remove the whole outer cover. If so, I do I go about it?

I have tried removing the screws located across the top of the fitting but it doesn't move. I didn't want to force anything until I found out more.

Thanks for any help...Phil

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45825

hmm i think its glued - is it just rust in the corner? can you get a cotton bud in?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45827

Yes, just a small layer of rust running half way along the bottom of one light. Can't access it with cotton bud as the light seems sealed and fully integrated within the whole central section that runs below the length of the engine cover.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45830

If you look down into the unit there are 3 crosshead screws. These each adjust a locking pin into position, wind these upwards maybe 5 turns. This will allow you to pull the unit backwards out, not upwards otherwise you will break some plastic clips.

You wil need to remove indicator assemblies first.

Hope this isn't too vague.!

Graham

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45831

or you could read the owners manual :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45834

Thanks for the advice... I'll give it a go.

Taking up the 'Owners Manual' point - Apart from the one with the car, I currently don't have one. Is there a recommended manual for maintenance and jobs like this?

It's a '96 C4S

Phil

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45844

Adrian Streather's book "993, King of Porsche" is like a posh Haynes manual of sorts

<£40-ish from Play.com

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45848

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Outrigger
Back