Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Cab Window - Scratches

Viffviff

Chaps,

no doubt you've been asked this many times before but please bear with me. I'm chuffed to bits with my recent 993 Cab buy- it's just about perfect (in my eyes) with the exception of fine scratches across the rear plastic cabriolet window - micromesh 1200 was the culprit which successfully removed 2 large scratches and replaced them with numerous finer ones. On balance the window is better, but in a low sun or with car headlights the scratches are irritating!! Browsing various forums and exploring the internet it would appear that there are various scratch removal methods (for plastic windows) including a number of products from Meguiars. Any advice on which is best or am I wasting my time? Meguiars alone seems to have at least 3 different variants, and then there's 3M Imperial Hand Glaz etc, etc ,etc. I already have some Porsche polyglass polish - is this just the same stuff repackaged?

Help!

Wam

Migration info. Legacy thread was 105978

Looked at the website but it seemed to focus more on lubrication rather than scratches. Other products seem to focus more on scratch removal such Meguiars ScatchX although this itself has povoked mixed forum reaction in the past. I want to avoid trying too many products since I could possibly cause further damage. However, in the absence of 1st-hand experience I'll probably give it a go and publish the results.

Wam

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106004

Well - I am going to give it a try in March if you can wait until then for the results.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106007

Has anyone tried this product more for lubrication purposes?
For some reason and only recently, when my hood is opened it does not fold properly and therefore when closed is starting to crease the fabric where it joins the window. Would this solve my problem or is it time for a new screen?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106009

Paul, have you looked at the replacement cost of a new plastic rear screen ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106053

Try some Meguiars PlastX. It is hard work but should do the job. Give me a PM if you have any trouble with it.

Regards

G

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106059

Novus 1
[/b:5mHQGgkjNu]
- gently cleans all plastics without scratching, leaves a lustrous shine that resists fogging, repels dust, and eliminates static.

Novus 2
- removes fine scratches, haziness, and abrasions from most plastics (exceptional for removing scratches from Plexiglas). Use repeatedly and restore faded and discoloured plastics.

Novus 3
-removes heavy scratches and abrasions from most acrylic surfaces. Contains abrasives, not for use on eyeglasses, polycarbonate, or coated plastics, final finishing also requires the use of Novus 2
http://www.modernplastics.com.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106131

I've bought some Hindsight but haven't used it yet as Mr Elite is due next week.

My screen is okay as I had the top replaced but will let you know whether treatment improves matters.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106132

I'm sure the Hindsight does do fine scratches- that is the main point. It then appears to condition the plastic to make it more supple and avoid further damage.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106143

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Anthony Corbett on 04 January 2007

I've bought some Hindsight but haven't used it yet as Mr Elite is due next week.

My screen is okay as I had the top replaced but will let you know whether treatment improves matters.
Anthony - could you let me know how it goes before I invest my money in March.

Cheers,

Chris

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106187

Either

Hindsight

Porsche rear window cleaner only about £5 a bottle

Zymol Cleans

Use in very small areas 4/5'' square,

you need a very clean soft cloth to polish off and lots of patience and elbow grease

Value for money the Porsche seems the best but you need to spend lots of time on it, and we are talking about the inside of the rear window , thats where the dirt accumulates most

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106218

We used Hindsight on my daughter's MX5 rear screen. It cleared some fine scratches and the milky appearance of the old plastic. Seems to have lasted a long time as well.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106305

I used Renovo plastic windscreen polish on my old MX5s. Worked very well, but required some elbow grease.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 106334

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Hack
Back