Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 GT3 PCCB OPTION

Dlff

Hi guys, I need your opinions on whether PCCB which is a rather pricy option worth ticking in the GT3. The advantages are quite apparent as it stops better, free of brake dust, lighter in weight & it lasts longer than steel if you don't track the car. Downside is costs of replacement. I do not track the car & even if I do it will be once or twice a year max. Cheers mates & all opinions are welcome.

Buy them, but don't hit them (that means no Kwik Fit tyre changes, only use the two wheel assists and don't drive in the kitty litter)

If there is any chance that it will see the track more than a dozen or so times in your ownership I would advise to avoid. You also need to do enough mileage to require about 4 disk changes before they are cost effective on a road only car (no appreciable premium on them on resale for any generation of GT3 so far). If you aren't tracking that is a lot of miles.

The only reason to spec them is if you want them for the sake of it and don't mind spending the money. Which - if you are buying a brand new car to your own spec - is still a perfectly valid justification. Just don't even dream of selling it on at a premium to the track day crowd X years down the line. That simply will not happen.

Oh - and they don't really stop discernibly better (at least not on any previous GT3 incarnations, though the feel is different and that is a matter of preference) and you will only feel the weight difference off of the track if you have a very delicate touch on the wheel.

As above, plus below -

I've got the first incarnation of them on my 996t. They are mint! They are worth every penny of the tiny premium I paid second hand for their looks and also how they mean the wheels are always clean. The initial bite is noticeably better than with steel rotors also.

If I were to spec a new car I would pay the hefty price for them for these reasons alone! I'm in love with them. The most satisfying and useful option on any car I've owned.

Sure, you could weigh up the lack of resale premium, the amount of miles you have to do vs steel rotors to make them financially viable etc etc, but if you are speccing one from new then I would imagine depreciation and resale are hardly top of your list because otherwise you would buy a 2-3 year old car!

:thumb:

PCCBs would definitely get ticked if I was buying a GT3 or Turbo from new. They do stop better than steels and ignore the nay sayers who tell you they don't! Go and drive cars with and without them back to back and tell me the steels are better! A slightly different feel yes, but not a detrimental one.

They also look better and your weekends spending cleaning dusty and stained/pitted alloys will be gone forever.

I paid approx' £1K over the price of a steel shod car when I bought my car at two years old, the bargain of the year for me!

If I was buying new, I'd forsake other less desireable options to have PCCBs on my car if this was an issue when spending £100K+.

The lack of fade on the newest PCCBs is staggering.

That would be the main reason I would spec them.

For 450 BHP onwards, I would consider it almost a safety hazard NOT to fit them.

GT4 said:
The lack of fade on the newest PCCBs is staggering.

That would be the main reason I would spec them.

For 450 BHP onwards, I would consider it almost a safety hazard NOT to fit them.

GT3 steels don't really fade. They actually even still bite viably (though obviously not quite as well) if you run through the pad material into the backing plates on the inner pads to the tune of 1mm. Takes 2 shortish sessions to scrap the disks if you do that though. Yes - in my early days of tracking them : been there, done that.

Seriously - the difference is feel, not fade : the anchors are a lot more powerful than the tyre offers grip. It is only ever a matter of squeezing them for the retardation that you require while staying above the ABS threshold. The only racing cars to run ceramics are the Supercups (for marketing reasons reputedly) - all of the rest run steel. We are talking cars on slicks here kids.

The limit on stopping power is tyre grip, not brakes - on all GT3s. Though one other potential advantage of PCCB (on the 997 at least) is that they don't warp, whereas with non-OE pads (OE last only 2.5 days on track) the steels sometimes do. If that is a factor for you then they still won't be cheaper though.....

I can't say I have back-to-backed a GT3 with and without PCCB.

But I have with a Turbo (997.2)

The recovery time to put all that momentum back on after braking really requires nothing less than PCCB to continually and consistently take it off again (if you are ringing its neck down back roads with low average airflow).

As I said, I think a Turbo (or equivalent) is almost a safety hazard WITHOUT.

Remember, these are the Gen PCCBs on the 991 GT3 - larger than previous versions and exactly the same as those on the 918 Supercar....
:)

Sidicks said:
Remember, these are the Gen PCCBs on the 991 GT3 - larger than previous versions and exactly the same as those on the 918 Supercar....
:)

Indeed, so expect a significant increase in the price to replace them once they are spent :hand:

I have used both and apart from the weightier feel of the steels vs the floating Pccb rotors and slightly better initial bite there is nothing between them on a road car, in terms of ultimate brake performance for the road. On track these new generation pccbs should be fantastic though and far less prone to failing/fading.:thumb:

Love my PCCBs on my turbo and they are much better at stopping than my previous one with steels (although it wasn't a turbo). Love the look and the fact the wheels never get dirty. Would select them every time. But then I don't track my car.

GT3

100% yes to ceramics
If you value your safety its a no brainer
My 996 Turbo S has them and they have saved from from a nasty accident - only once but that made me order them on my GT3

Re: GT3

Bieldside said:
100% yes to ceramics
If you value your safety its a no brainer
My 996 Turbo S has them and they have saved from from a nasty accident - only once but that made me order them on my GT3

I am intrigued, what was the situation where having the PCCB saved you from an accident you would have had with steel brakes?

MC

In his pants.

He was smuggling them through Customs.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfaMax1996
Back