Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 GT2

... Ok... I've missed those posts then I think... Although I could be having a blonde moment... :grin:

I agree. I'm stumped by the video. Those GT2 side vents look real but the exhaust pipes says GT3 to me. Also, this video is dated 1st October 2013, so too new to be footage of a GT3 based 991 .. Could be an RS but then what's with the vents....
:?:

RS mule in turbo body, turbo is the widest yet 991 so could be they need the same width for the RS.

Would there be any benefit in an NA car (GTRS) having those vents? Better cooling? Plus, would make the car more distinguishable from the GT3.

I doubt there will be side vents on the RS. Its probably a test mule and they happen to be using a turbo bodyshell, vents blocked offf inside or something.

Roro said:
Would there be any benefit in an NA car (GTRS) having those vents? Better cooling? Plus, would make the car more distinguishable from the GT3.

As said, it's just a disguise to put you off (mis-direction)

The side vents post-993 have only ever been used by the intercoolers.

On 993 Turbo S (and the optional factory fit aesthetic holes) they were just for show (they didn't really go anywhere - or at least nowhere useful given the whole engine gets a turbine sized fan to blow air on it and the single intercooler panel sat above engine in a completely different and contra airflow)

Ignoring the mechanical issues of how they would (by definition) use the holes differently, it would be very odd design-wise for the GT3 RS to share the same body+vents of the Turbo.

GT4 said:
Ignoring the mechanical issues of how they would (by definition) use the holes differently, it would be very odd design-wise for the GT3 RS to share the same body+vents of the Turbo.

We are talking about the same company that created that bit of design-genius known as Panamera.

As GT4 points out it's not the first time they have used fake vents (or should that be intakes?), as seen with the 993 turbo s and pre-987 boxsters (albeit only one side being fake).

Indeed this practice is not all that uncommon, with bmw (current mini cooper s), jaguar, range rover and mercedes among others all guilty of some kind of scoop, vent or intake fakery to befuddle the ignorami...:?

Maybe it is to help better distinguish the RS from cooking GT3, though I rather suspect in this case as has been suggested it is simply a fool mule... :puh:

Roro said:

The last RSR moved the engine air intake from the rear hood scoop to the location of the intercooler scoops for turbo cars to aid aerodynamic efficiency, so there is a precedent for using such scoops on a normally aspirated car. That isn't to say that its not just a turbo bodied mules though...

It would probably result in a higher pressure air flow too.

The 991 airbox would be very suitable for wing intakes too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PatrickRas
Back