Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wanted 986/996 Gear Shifter alignment tool

For classified adverts, seeking cars, parts and products.

Uncle Monty

Silverstone
Anyone got one I could borrow , I'm on a budget. It's the white one not green.
Obvs I'll pay for postage both ways.

Attachments

• shopping.jpg
    shopping.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I find you can get this set up so, so much better doing it without the alignment tool.

If you fist get the stick central across the horizontal, so it is sat between 3rd and 4th, in other words so when you push up and down it slots in to either of these gears, then put the cable in for that one.

You then need to put the other cable in and see how it feels going into 2nd from 3rd.
2nd tends to be the one that can feel the most awkward, most rubbery. So you need to adjust the cable for this so it slows into second with a nice positive clunk.
Now just make sure 3rd still feels positive and slots in OK. If that now feels a bit soft, adjust slightly.
It is a balancing act between 2nd and 3rd till they both feel good.

Now go for a drive and see how it feels, and tweak as needed.

The tool often gets it almost right, but as these cars get older I find doing it yourself can yield far better results.

Thanks for the advice..still not got one yet , I'm hoping someone has one lying about , saves plastic and a few quid.

I wouldn't bother.

You can feel where the gearstick needs to be, the plastic tool just gets it centralised.
This won't get older gearboxes to shift their best.

You need to do it through feel and you can't do that with the tool in place.

I wouldn't bother.

You can feel where the gearstick needs to be, the plastic tool just gets it centralised.
This won't get older gearboxes to shift their best.

You need to do it through feel and you can't do that with the tool in place.
So do you disconnect the Blue one while you're adjusting the Black one?

Gizlaroc has nailed it with everything he's said. Better to use your ears and hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ianwheatley
Back