Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 Turbo or GTS thoughts

Philip S

Trainee
Having been a long term 993 owner now looking to purchase a 991 and always thought I wanted to scratch the Turbo itch so have started looking. Noticed that a GTS probably starts at £70k yet you could probably get a reasonable specced Turbo for around 10% more obviously all depends on exact spec/mileage/age but as a general finding. Seems the Turbo is a lot more car for the money or am I missing something and is GTS really more desirable because of its track ability without the GT3 price tag?
Any thoughts on either?

Hi,

I have a 997.2 4s and took a 991 out for a test drive that somebody else from this parish has bought and did not feel its was any real difference from my car and not worth a price jump of £20k, so i am looking at a turbo as well.

Dean

The GTS is the ultimate Carrera and is seen as an ideal 911 for road use and track fun. The turbo is a blunt instrument giving bahn-storming performance when conditions allow.

If you're wanting to scratch a turbo itch the GTS won't do it.

ps. The market is changing but you won't get much choice of cars at either of the price points you've quoted.

If you are not intending to use the car on track , go for a Turbo/S. Well planted weapon of speed!
GTS will be more desirable when you sell it on.

As a GTS owner I am biased, although I've not driven a Turbo, so I can't offer a true comparison.

If I were you, I would wait a few months, as more new cars becoming available seems to be shifting used car prices and you could be buying at the top of the market.

Good luck with your search :thumb:

TonyC911 said:
As a GTS owner I am biased, although I've not driven a Turbo, so I can't offer a true comparison.

If I were you, I would wait a few months, as more new cars becoming available seems to be shifting used car prices and you could be buying at the top of the market.

Good luck with your search :thumb:
Thanks for comments - all makes good sense. I am not interested in tracking the car, so I think answer is Turbo. I did test drive a 997 GTS and Turbo with Paragon pre Covid. The acceleration/braking on Turbo struck me as major difference although the Turbo had racing seats and ceramic brakes so was not really a conventional Turbo (non S) I would be buying which is more as a daily driver. The GTS was great you felt very engaged so can see the attraction. I think at the time on those 997 cars I was leaning towards the GTS but Covid got in the way and as usual your pride and joy seemed to worthless as PX so I didn't take it further. Not tried 991 yet but decide as time move on would go with a 991 as read so many good reports and forum comparisons on the improvements from 997.2 to the 991.
Good point about market prices - inevitable a correction is due offset by general increase of costs but with new cars/demand/supply/cost of finance increasing etc the balance is slightly downwards. Some cars stuck at hopefully prices for months clearly not selling. As always, the ones that do sell are the ones that are realistically priced need or want to sell as opposed to hoping/believing they may sell.

I recently considered the same choice.

Both fine cars, but try the Turbo / S if you can as the engine really is something special. Then decide which one you want :)

I have to say though that specs have become a much bigger factor for me and getting that right can be more important than the precise model.

Good luck with your choice

tim

Hi Philip

Its best you try and decide

All opinions are valid

The turbo is a monster, I'm on my second one and still learning how to manage boost mid corner.

GTS would be similar to the GT4, linear power delivery and noise etc

I had a random GTS driver at petrol station admire the looks of the Turbo :) love the side vents

Different cars so good Luck!

I've had both over the last few years.

The turbo is epic, there's just nothing like the push in the back from a near 600 bhp Turbo S it really is an occasion when you go out in one, although I would disagree with the comment that they're a 'blunt instrument'. They're actually a very well sorted chassis and can easily handle 600 to 700 bhp, again it depends on whose behind the wheel.
I still think the best driving turbo is the 997.2 PDK, they really are a very planted car and even though the 991 is newer it's not necessarily better, the main improvement being the interior.

The GT-S on the other hand is a beautiful car to drive and I think if I was doing a run like P Zero has just done that would be my choice of car. I really liked the GTS interior in mine, although it was a bit dark as I had no Pan roof but to drive they're faultless and the std non 18 way seats are superb.

Can't really recommend one over the other, it's personal choice.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
11erCharlie
Back