Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 or New Gen Boxster

GRANDDUC

Hi all,
Appreciate any views on whether for my £50,000 I should go for a new Boxster or perhaps a 911 which will be several years old. I have owned 2 Boxsters in the past but that was around 12 years ago and now feel its time to get back into the best car I have ever owned but I dont really want a soft top and not convinced that the Cayman is right - it just looks strange to me....

Look forward to your views,

Cheers[/i]

GRANDDUC said:
Hi all,
Appreciate any views on whether for my £50,000 I should go for a new Boxster or perhaps a 911 which will be several years old. I have owned 2 Boxsters in the past but that was around 12 years ago and now feel its time to get back into the best car I have ever owned but I dont really want a soft top and not convinced that the Cayman is right - it just looks strange to me....

Look forward to your views,

Cheers[/i]

+1 for 997.2

You can pick up a 2009 plate or even a 2010 plate for £50k. Depends on your definition of several years old.

I agree. Pick up the 997 and you have a sophisticated one.

Just re-read your post OP, for several years old AND £50k then 993 Turbo.

Spot on mark, no question what I'd go for. Ive owned both and 911 every time for me.

Kevin.

997 gen 2.

The Boxster and Cayman are good cars, but the 911 is exceptional. I wouldn't spend any more time thinking about which one to buy! Happy shopping. :)

Hi

Go for a 911, they are a truly different experience. Both the 993's and 997's are great in their own ways.

Berni

I just traded my 981 s for the c4s cab....I can truly say the 981s is a fantastic car for the price...if 50k is your budget I would get the 981s...providing you don't need the 2 extra seats...same performance as the 991 non s..and having tracked my old 981s...apart from the gt3/turbo will hold its own with most standard 997s...gt3 drivers at brands were amazed with its performance..one guy even said with track tyres and a bit of tweaking with the suspension it would be a real track weapon.

The downside is...it's not a 911..
But the car is now truly sorted and its a proper porsche contrary to what some die hard 911 fans say..

Not everybody can afford a new 911...and the new 981s comes very close for half the money...I would choose a new/ex dem 981s over any 3-4 year old 911..just my opinion...I'm sure whatever you decide it will be you decision..and it will be the right one..

I was in the same predicament in February this year. A used 911 or new Boxster S? I the end went for a 997.2 C2 and don't regret it.

It's July 11 Reg, and only had 6200 miles on the clock. Practically new!! It's got PDK and Sports plus and is well spec'ed. Cost ~ £50k which I though was a good deal.
Bought Porsche approved and got 2 years warranty from the date the previous ran out, so ended up with 29 months warranty :D

Had a Boxster previously, but much prefer the 911.

Go for it, you won't regret it!! You'll always know deep down a Boxster isn't a 'real' Porsche.

The 981S is of 'similar' performance, but not quite the same:-

981S PDK (0-60mph) - 4.7 sec (4.5 sec with Sport+)
997.2 PDK (0-60mph) - 4.5 sec (4.3 sec with Sport+)

Spanner in the works here....

Cayman R?

:dont know:

I think they are as close to the old Porsche philosophy of 'track orientation on the road' as it gets whilst having some modern touches.

I know you said you dont like the look of them but with £50k burning a hole in your pocket you could have a lot of test drives and a lot of fun deciding!!

dhauser said:
You'll always know deep down a Boxster isn't a 'real' Porsche.

well all i can say about the above comment is that i dont know what i was driving when i was out braking,carrying more speed into and through the corners and not being pulled in, on the straights than the 7 other 997.2s that were tracking the same day at Brands indy circuit. I think it said Boxster s on the back...not sure who makes them...

The only real Porsches (by sales volume) are 4WD.

porsche_cayenne_s_diesel.jpg

01-porsche-panamera-turbo-s-ny.jpg

2014-Porsche-Macan-7-651x433.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dirtyrdier00
Back