Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 LEFT STANDING

Mark Loeber

Dear all,

Please can you help me with some practical advice regarding buying a 2000 Porsche 911. I have seen one I like which is sitting in a customs warehouse in Kent. The only problem is that the vehicle has been standing for about 10 months. One of my friends has said that the 911 has a dry clutch and if they stand around too long the clutch plate rusts and sticks in place. If the car is started the clutch burns out. Can anyone confirm if this is the case of if there is anything regarding the clutch I should look out for or do prior to starting the car.

many thanks

Mark

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67231

Welcome!

I think I would have it trailered to an Official Porsche Centre for an inspection (who will also sell you an OPC warranty following the inspection- useful for a 996), and proper recommissioning.

Good luck...

Robert

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67234

Heard RMS probs are sometimes caused by car sitting, as the seal goes dry

...rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67246

To free the stuck clutch - just start the car in gear.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67265

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Milkfloat on 21 July 2006

To free the stuck clutch - just start the car in gear.
I recall my dad freeing the clutch on an old Rover by starting in gear, then driving up the road accelerating hard, then backing off sharply whilst pushing in the clutch. To be fair, the starter motor never seemed quite the same after... There are probably less brutal ways of doing it with spanners etc.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 67451

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grahame84
Back