Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

7.1 & 7.2 GT3 - same gearbox?

Roro

I was looking at the grey 7.2 at Hatfield today, and the gearbox felt more 'snickety' than mine. The throws felt shorter and more tight. Was I imagining that though - are the gearboxes in fact the same? My car has almost 26k on the clock, while the car at Hatfield has about 10k, maybe that's the reason it felt different :?:

The difference will be at the shift lever end, not the gearbox end. Either different kinematics (leverage ratios) in the selector mechanisms or just different degrees of wear.

Was there today at 1:50pm (to collect my tyre pressure gauge and chat up the receptionist)

GT4 said:
Was there today at 1:50pm (to collect my tyre pressure gauge and chat up the receptionist)

The tall slim one with the long blonde hair? If so, :thumb:

~ Maxie :)

No, the short dumpy one.

... like shooting fish in a barrel :bandit:

Roro said:
I was looking at the grey 7.2 at Hatfield today, and the gearbox felt more 'snickety' than mine. The throws felt shorter and more tight. Was I imagining that though - are the gearboxes in fact the same? My car has almost 26k on the clock, while the car at Hatfield has about 10k, maybe that's the reason it felt different :?:

Thought I recognised the GT3 in the car park Roro! Very nice, as was the grey one inside.

I was collecting some coolant and also checking out clutch weights..... my C2S's is on a par with that GT3's and way heavier than the standard Carrera's that was also in there, feels like it deffo needs a new one :sad:

Should've tried to find me and said hello :)

The clutch in the grey GT3 was similar weight to mine - of all the GT3s I've been in to date my GT3 seems to have the lightest clutch, so to find one with a similar weighting was a pleasant surprise. I remember the clutch in my old 7.1 C2S being quite light, but the clutch travel was longer than the GT3... so choice is either light and long with the C2S or hard and short with the GT3 for anyone interested...

Red993C4 cheers, I reckon it's probably the additonal mileage on my car then, was thinking about investigating short shift kits for my car but.... I don't see the point... 8)

Roro said:
so choice is either light and long with the C2S or hard and short with the GT3 for anyone interested...

Yes, that's how levers work :duh:

archimedes-resized-600.png

Just as an aside, don't forget, the turbo vehicles with power assisted (vacuum/hydraulic etc) clutch operation will exibit different resistances with the engine running or not.

Over time and without maintenance the boost accumulator may present different resistances too.

... just in case you are jumping in and out of those too!

Turbo?

Who asked about turbo's?!

... And stop using words with so many cyllables I'm still hungover from last night :x

There were turbos on site, as stated it was just as an aside just in case you were jumping in and out of those too.

All the information was there, honest.

Although I commend you on the diversion away from discussing moments ...

GT4 said:
Roro said:
so choice is either light and long with the C2S or hard and short with the GT3 for anyone interested...

Yes, that's how levers work :duh:

archimedes-resized-600.png

Not quite, since Roro's quote referred to the difference between C2S and GT3 clutches, not the gearshift mechanisms the thread started out on.
The GT3's clutch is heavier than the C2S's due to the use of a beefed-up pressure plate requiring more "work" (in the technical sense) to disengage it, not just due to changes in leverage causing a redistribution in the "force-times-distance-moved" equation.

I think the bit I quoted still applies, but thanks for joining in my teasing of Roro.

Further ilustrated by my next post referencing moments (or indeed 4,000 other posts :puh: )

All my comments regarding actual clutches were made in the aside.

Roro said:
Should've tried to find me and said hello :)

The clutch in the grey GT3 was similar weight to mine - of all the GT3s I've been in to date my GT3 seems to have the lightest clutch, so to find one with a similar weighting was a pleasant surprise. I remember the clutch in my old 7.1 C2S being quite light, but the clutch travel was longer than the GT3... so choice is either light and long with the C2S or hard and short with the GT3 for anyone interested...

Red993C4 cheers, I reckon it's probably the additonal mileage on my car then, was thinking about investigating short shift kits for my car but.... I don't see the point... 8)

Yes, apologies should have done (particularly if you were the chap with the young lady with the incredible ...er, eyes!!!!!)

Thanks also for your thoughts on the clutch, if you had a C2S before then you were the perfect person to advise. Mine is quite heavy, although seems to get a bit lighter as the car warms up, and you really have to concentrate to pull away and change gear smoothly.

No that wasn't me :grin: I'm still side-stepping questions from the gf like why I don't let her come with me on track days, nevermind dealerships! :D

BTW yes sounds like your clutch is on the way out!

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MainA
Back