Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

4WD system in Snow?

Colin Tinto

Hi All,

Was up North at the weekend (Aberdeenshire) in my 993 Turbo 4, and it snowed quite heavily. The roads were mostly OK, apart from the odd drift, where the car would find a line and stick to it, not necessarily in line with the road, but sorted itself out on the other side of the drift.

Went to visit some friends who live up a steep hill, and tried to get the car up but it wasn't having it. Didn't expect much really, with wide road tyres, but it did seem that only the rear wheels were spinning.

Later that evening, getting up the drive to the hotel was tricky, although I did pass a Mazda 6 that was stuck much further down, but again the back wheels were spinning, with nothing much happening at the front.

Does anyone know how the four wheel drive system is supposed to work? I know it's not really designed for snow, like a proper 4x4, but I expected some movement from the front wheels. Is it possible that something is wrong?

Colin

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24575

not that im an expert, but on the 964 model 4's i seem to remember that there was a locking mechanism on the dash. This enabled you to lock the 4x4 system in difficult weather for more traction.

Im quite interested in this post as i am considering a 993 TT as a future car and it really needs to be capable in the snow for me to consider it.

Without being too obvious, but have you had a scan in the handbook?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24576

wide tyres in snow = useless..

many a days in my Audi Quattro !

winter tyres which are thinner make all the difference

the 911 only sends a lessor amount of power to the front otherwsie it would understeer much more....... & suffer the handling woes of all quattro cars (exc the original UR) .. so you car is working but the 911 4wd wasn't really diesgned for such weather !

safe driving !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24579

Always going to be difficult to put that much power down in snow.... my standard C4 was tricky in the snow so i left it in an Italian service station, but thats another story. even idle felt too fast sometimes.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24586

I was mulling that very issue this morning. Sorry to all for bringing the snow back home with me. No matter where I've been in the last 8 days its been chucking the stuff down. Mrs H didnt turn the toyota station car over while I was away and unsurpisingly, it gave a sulky cough this morning and died. my thoughts turned to C4S sittng in the garage, but then remembered that even if that worked, there were the cretins at Sevenoaks car park who when it snowed for 3 hours last year, managed to conduct an auto based game of ice hockey down the ramp and with other cars around them whilst parking and so I thought better of it. Mrs H came to the rescue and drove me in the RR - bless her.

:D

I did see a number of 993 and 996 C4's in Verbier. All armed with ski racks and more importantly, the M+S winter tyres on old rims.

With a number of us on the trip, I rented a Merc Vito mini bus to get us from Zurich to resort. I was as underwhelmed with that as I was the Renault Espace the year before. The Merc had windscreen wipers that instead of moving in the same direction, sat like folded arms until you activated them, whereupon they waved up and apart like a demented evangelist. Added to this, the washer is piped up the arm, directly to the blades. Smart you may think, but the time delay in getting the liquid up the pipe, meant that the cleaning fluid shot out round the corners of the pillars and never on the windscreen itself. I therefore relied heavily on the abundant snowlflakes falling in order to keep the flipping screen clean. In addition to the addition, There is only one stalk providing every function. Said windscreen wash was activated by pressing the end of the stalk in. Very often, if not conducted with extreme precision, this coincided with a slight move forward of the stalk, activating full beam, and blinding the poor buggers coming the opposite way. Highly entertaining in the confines of the tunnels. I could'nt wait to give it back.

Hertz cheered me up no end by supplying snow chains for the front (non driving) wheels instead of the back. It only took me 2-3 hours in a foot deep car park during a blizzard to figure out they would'nt fit though so that was ok. :evil:

Apart from that, Verbier was great as usual. Zurich was its usual expanding charming self, and trains in the uk this morning were all knackered

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24618

Sounds like a top trip Hendo! - as you would have seen, ZH has has its fair share of snow this year. We could have met up for a quick beer!

Next year see if Hertz can sort you out with a Cayenne - :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24620

I hope the snow lasts I'm of to La Plagne next month.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24623

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 22 February 2005

Sounds like a top trip Hendo! - as you would have seen, ZH has has its fair share of snow this year. We could have met up for a quick beer!

Next year see if Hertz can sort you out with a Cayenne - :D
I did mention to you on another thread that I was in town and would be at Commercio (BHF Stadelhoffen) for a Spagfest on sunday evening. As you didnt reply I naturally assumed that my usual level of charm had worked its wonders. Never mind, I'll be back over there fairly shortly and will let ya know. A 'stanger' or two is compulsory IMHO

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24637

Sorry dude - i must have missed that thread - next time though eh?

BTW - What thread was it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24639

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 22 February 2005

Sorry dude - i must have missed that thread - next time though eh?

BTW - What thread was it?
2nd page of Sundeeps curry night epic. I should have PM'd you instead Doh! :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24663

there was a diff lock switch on my old 964c4 that helped in snow/ice, it locks the power 50/50 and should only be used up to 20/30 mph. Not sure if the 993 had it tho?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24664

you have to remember that a 4 wheeldrive only stops as good as a 2 wheeldrive car in the snow i found this out years ago in a sierra cosworth that i put in the middle of a roundabout in the flowers as everybody was skidding all oiver on a hill i drove round them all then came to the roundabout and bingo right in the middle

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24665

The other problem I had at the weekend was the water for cleaning the screen freezing all the time. There was plenty screenwash in it, and it was only -3 or -4, but I guess the wind chill drops that a long way.

I would have thought there should have been a heater of some sort on the nozzles, especially when there is no engine there to heat up the bonnet.

Colin

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24674

Just to reinforce FR's comment about 4wd not helping you stop on ice... Was passenger in an old Jag XJS a few years back on a winter morning. Came over the crest of a hill, right hand bend, loads of ice and we went straight on through the hedge and into a field. Got out to inspect the damage and, just as my friend (the driver and owner of the Jag) was saying "***** me that was lucky, hardly a scratch" and 993 C4 came over the same crest, hit the same ice and parked itself in the boot of the Jag, writing off both cars in front of our eyes! Took me days to stop laughing!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24677

Colin - living where i do - screenwsh that doesnt freeze is a major interest to all. All the car programmes on tv seem to spend too much time for my liking talking about the best products - (yawn). Anyhow what i've learnt is that you really need to use some "tested to -20" screen wash undiluted - it has never frozen on me - even up in the hills at -17.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24683

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluellen
Back