Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3rd gear - is it me or can it be a pig?

meseany

Well-known member
Joined
18 Oct 2013
Messages
90
Had my C4S 3 weeks now - my first Porsche and I love it to bits... now Im probably being picky but when I change into 3rd from 4th or up from 2nd it can sometimes jar a bit - or can sometimes be difficult to locate.

All others gears glide in - is it me or can this be improved?
 
Mine's alright, have you tried using that pedal on the left 8)
 
Mines only got 2 pedals?! (joke) :D

Very funny but not terribly helpful :hand:
 
Does this notchiness happen only when the engine is cold or at all times? I have to admit, having the same gearbox as yourself in my previous 996, I never experienced this phenomenon.

~ Maxie
 
Rule out the obvious causes first:
- faulty clutch or on its way out
- gear linkages (cables) out of engagement
- gear lever alignment wrt cable linkages

Occasionally it can be notchy going into 2nd when cold. Not heard of 3rd gear problem. If you have a short-shift kit fitted, make sure it is properly adjusted.

Sometimes a change of gearbox oil is advised to see if the problem persists. Don't know the rationale of this to be honest - if there is wear, it does not go away with an oil change!

Any crunch on down shifts suggests worn synchros or synchro on its way out if the above are ruled out. The 996 gearbox is prone to issues. Have it checked by an expert who knows what he is doing and has a name for gearbox work. Keep us posted. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it is not a gearbox strip and rebuild job.
 
Sounds like cable alignment to me (certainly isn't normal)
 
Maxie said:
Does this notchiness happen only when the engine is cold or at all times? I have to admit, having the same gearbox as yourself in my previous 996, I never experienced this phenomenon.

~ Maxie

I think it improves when warmed up - it does need a shove to drive it home - the other gears travel in easier, more naturally.
 
Mine is similar and has been for 4 years. I've had it checked, it has a new clutch and there are no technical issues diagnosed. If I use the car much more regularly the issue goes away, so...
 
toobusy said:
Mine is similar and has been for 4 years. I've had it checked, it has a new clutch and there are no technical issues diagnosed. If I use the car much more regularly the issue goes away, so...

I've just read a thread on another post and chap with a turbo says his gear is stiff on start up until things warm up - mine is also a short shift so...

Think I'm getting used to where to plant the stick now - I was rolling along and needed 3rd but missed it - but that was a good 2 weeks ago so :)
 
SSK can be notchy from cold, but that won't cause misalignment, unless you just mean you need to get used to the gate (but I assume you have driven more than one manual 996?)

OEM SSK reduces travel by 20% (and hence increases force required - other third-party SSK's may be as high as 30-35%)

In the OEM brochure (Porsche Tequipment) it actually advises of their 20% throw reduction short-shift:

Tequipment Note:
Gear shift action may be slightly restricted when vehicle is started from cold
 
GT4 said:
SSK can be notchy from cold, but that won't cause misalignment, unless you just mean you need to get used to the gate (but I assume you have driven more than one manual 996?)

OEM SSK reduces travel by 20% (and hence increases force required - other third-party SSK's may be as high as 30-35%)

In the OEM brochure (Porsche Tequipment) it actually advises of their 20% throw reduction short-shift:

Tequipment Note:
Gear shift action may be slightly restricted when vehicle is started from cold

Hi GT4 - no, this is my first Porsche period - only been driving it 2 weeks = 5 times. Im more used to the gate now.
 
I meant during test-drive, not during ownership.
 
GT4 said:
I meant during test-drive, not during ownership.

I had 2 5 minute test drives in the car before buying it.
 
Erm, Ok, what I really really meant was, I assume you have driven more than one manual 996 during your purchasing research.
 
GT4 said:
Erm, Ok, what I really really meant was, I assume you have driven more than one manual 996 during your purchasing research.

Oh ok - I had a drive for 10 mins in a C4 and the same in a Cayman before looking at the C4S on the same day; no other Porsche driving at all - not ever :)

Both the C4 and Cayman felt like I was handling a wooden spoon in a can of plum tomatoes - but the C4S I bought with the short shift was far more sure.
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,055
Messages
1,436,737
Members
48,446
Latest member
SteveW56
Back
Top