Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2013 To Do List - 1. Stick on front number plate

Tycho

Easy jobs first. From a forum search I can see that this has been covered before, so my questions for those who have tried this are:
Any legal problems experienced?
Are the stick on plates durable?
What is the best way mask the PU holes so they do not show through the vinyl plate?

Thanks

Tycho said:
Easy jobs first. From a forum search I can see that this has been covered before, so my questions for those who have tried this are:
Any legal problems experienced?
Are the stick on plates durable?
What is the best way mask the PU holes so they do not show through the vinyl plate?

Thanks
I had the number plate holes filled when the PU, got resparyed. Stick on plate looks way better, shows the shape of the bumper. Yes, very durable.

I can't find the link now, but there is some place in the Sates that can supply body coloured bumper plugs if you want to fill the mounting holes in. Google is your friend.

I had the number plate holes filled when the PU, got resparyed. Stick on plate looks way better, shows the shape of the bumper. Yes, very durable.

Is it ok to stick on a plate straight after having the PU sprayed? Or do you have to leave it for some time before applying? I would hate to imagine taking the plate off for some reason only to find that the paint/lacquer has come off with it. Am I being daft or is there no way this would happen with a decent spray job?

did mine on the 997, no legal problems at all, had the police round a few times (trying to pin every unsolved road crime in the area on me with no luck) and they never once mentioned the plate.

they where just trying to say I was driving too fast etc but with no proof, wasnt in the porsche though it was the fez. (they hate that thing with a passion)

No probs with the MOT or Coppers, but a sod to stick on properly sans bubbles if you're positioning it on the curve of the PU.

A heat gun or hairdryer will help, but I've done three now and they're never perfect (and I've done a wrapping course).

Buy two in case you balls it up, because you only get one go.

Did this to mine - no problems at all. £7 off eBay :thumb: I put a bit of extra tape over the bumper holes but in fact once teh vinyl is over them they are bardly noticeable.

Trouble with bumper plugs are they leave a slight bump that reminded me of my PA in a flimsy blouse on a cool summer days :oops:

Thanks, I should have thought about this & getting the holes filled when I had the PU resprayed in the summer! I had looked at BumperPlugs but thought these would leave a "bump" under the plate. I was planning to trim down the plate so may try small off cut pieces over the holes.
Is there any advice anywhere on how the hairdryer is used; is it to warm up the plate to increase flexibility? I am getter pretty handy with a dryer at present as my good lady has broken her shoulder and drying her hair is one of my newly acquired duties.
Trap 125 has got me worried now – can I damage my lovely new paintwork?

I had a stick on plate on the front of my car until just recently when I had the front of the car resprayed.
I got mine from Ebay, The sellers id was 4455-group IIRC.
I used the soapy water and squeegy method to fit mine, it gives you a better chance of getting it on straight. I helps greatly if the car and the plate are warm when you try and fit it. (Be careful warming it with a hairdryer as the plate melts easily and will stretch out of shape.)
I didn't have any problems with creases with mine but I think that was because I cut the plate down to the bare legal minimum size and my reg is short anyway.
I just left the holes in the PU uncovered, with the stick on over them they were barely noticeable.
As for the legality of stick on plates, well, they are not strictly legal. In the words of the DVLA they are not type approved. My one however did conform as far as size, type face and spacing etc, but it was lacking the kitemark, makers name and postcode etc.
I never had a problem with the MOT, but I did keep a legal plate in the car, just in case or I got stopped by a picky plod.
It didn't damage the paint when I peeled it off, but I thought I would leave fitting another one until my current new paint had hardened up properly.

Attachments

• p1000565c_839.jpg
    p1000565c_839.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 3,176
As said before, use gentle heat while applying the back plate, it will take the shape of the bumper better, this is also advised when removing. My first attempt, allowed water to get behind. Both plates were applied after fresh paint with no problems.

Attachments

• image_606.jpg
    image_606.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 3,164
Second attempt

This was more successful :thumb:
Just before selling :sad:

Attachments

• image_154.jpg
    image_154.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 3,161
Got mine done by body shop so lucky, even they got a bubble under which is v hard to see. Do it, it looks great IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markyt911c4s
Back