Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2003 996 Turbo service interval question

BillTheButcher

Montreal
The official Porsche recommendation for my 2003 996 Turbo is minor maintenance every 12,000 miles or every 2 years, and major maintenance every 24,000 miles or every 4 years.

My car last had a service (minor maintenance + new spark plugs) in August 2012 on 64,600 miles. It's currently on 68,900 miles. I was planning to have major maintenance (but not spark plugs) done in August this year because I've got used to having my cars serviced once a year (I only do about 7,000 miles a year).

Is this best practice or would it be perfectly acceptable to just have an annual inspection this August and then wait until the next Porsche-recommended interval for a proper service, which would be August 2014.

I hope that makes sense.

Cheers. :thumb:

An annual inspection + an oil change would cost about the same as a minor (incl oil change) so I'd get a minor done this year.

It seems that all enthusiasts expect more than what Porsche recommend so for your own peace of mind and future 'resaleability' I'd pay that little bit extra.

Thanks Terry.

I'm not trying to skimp on maintenance; I'm prepared to pay whatever's needed to keep my cars properly maintained. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't having unnecessary work done. :)

So you'd have a minor done in August (even though it had a minor in 2012) and then a major in 2014?

BillTheButcher said:
Thanks Terry.

I'm not trying to skimp on maintenance; I'm prepared to pay whatever's needed to keep my cars properly maintained. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't having unnecessary work done. :)

So you'd have a minor done in August (even though it had a minor in 2012) and then a major in 2014?

I would. No plugs at either though.

BilltheButcher - I have recently enquired about my 2002 Turbo service intervals as there is quite a lot of conflicting reports out there - much of this was initiaited by someone who posted something about "how can you interpret a service hsitory to be correct?" If you search you may find that discusion somewhere here.

Repeating what I stated as a result of my enquiries with both Porsche Main Dealers near to me (Wilmslow and Chester), there is a different slant to the one T8 has presented (but still comes to a similar conclusion for practical purposes) but here is the official Porsche advice I was given (which I have had verified by other OPC's outside my area) and applies to pre-MY2004 (from MY2004 the intervals were changed to every two years).

1. The car should be serviced every 12 months irrespective of mileage - in other words it needs to see a workshop every 12 months.

2. The services alternate - Minor-Major-Minor etc.

3. Brake fluid is changed every 2 years irrespective of mileage.

4. Spark plugs changed at Major (if mileage met or every 4 years irrespective of mileage).

There are then certain exceptions which the OPC's advised:

a) Where a car covers less than 9k miles per annum, the service it was to have received on the rota Minor-Major-Minor etc. can be replaced by an Annual Inspection. This does not change any fluids but is a pretty comprehensive inspection at an OPC with a full report issued with traffic light symbols.

b) Where an annual inspection has been carried out, then in 12 months the vehicle must have the service it should have had that the Inspection replaced. For example - you had a minor in Aug 2012. So the next service due this year is a Major (comment on spark plugs to follow).
This year the car has done less than 9k miles since that Minor service.
On account of the low mileage you can have an Annual Inspection in Aug 2013. But in Aug 2014 it must have a Major (the one it should have that you substitued with an Annual inspection). In other words, you cannot have two consecutive Annual Inspections.

c) Where the mileage is less than the stipulated mileage for a Major, the spark plugs can be replaced every 4 years - so they need not be replaced every major if the mileage is not at the stipulated interval - but either way, they must be changed at 4 years irrespective of mileage in that case. So if after 4 years it has done less than say 24k miles, the plugs still need to be changed.

The Annual Inspection does not change the oil and filter. You can elect to have an oil & filter change with an Annual Inspection. The book will be marked as Inspection and they will write in "oil & filter" and it will be supported by their invoice.

But as T8 suggests, the cost of Inspection plus Oil & Filter change may come to a similar price to a Minor hence you could have a minor. But if the car needs a brake fluid change in Aug 2013, this will add around £100 inc VAT at an OPC (according to their fixed price menu).

My suggestion is to ask OPC's what they would charge for an Oil & Filter change with Annual Inspection and compare that to a Minor Service then factor in fluid change if needed. I have found them quite willing to be competitive on 996 servicing costs - Wilmslow for instance quoted me a reduced cost of a Minor Service by removing the change of pollen filter from the schedule which they said was not needed as the car had done less than 3k miles since the last minor service.

So for a practical recommendation - T8 has a good suggestion. But you may be able to comply with the porsche service schedule using the options I have suggested and save a little money also - from an OPC. Then you can repeat the same quotes with indy's and decide.

As ever, that's a very helpful response. Thank you. :)

cheshire911 said:
here is the official Porsche advice I was given (which I have had verified by other OPC's outside my area) and applies to pre-MY2004 (from MY2004 the intervals were changed to every two years).

1. The car should be serviced every 12 months irrespective of mileage - in other words it needs to see a workshop every 12 months.
Once every 12 months or 10,000/12,000 miles has been the regime that I've always used for all my cars. Which is why I was surprised to find that the recommendation on the official Porsche site, even for 2003 cars, is once every 2 years or 12,000 miles. You can download the .pdf here:
http://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/maintenanceintervals/

I'm going with once every 12 months anyway (I'll never do 12,000 miles in a year) but it would be helpful if the advice from Porsche was consistent.

cheshire911 said:
My suggestion is to ask OPC's what they would charge for an Oil & Filter change with Annual Inspection and compare that to a Minor Service then factor in fluid change if needed. I have found them quite willing to be competitive on 996 servicing costs - Wilmslow for instance quoted me a reduced cost of a Minor Service by removing the change of pollen filter from the schedule which they said was not needed as the car had done less than 3k miles since the last minor service.

So for a practical recommendation - T8 has a good suggestion. But you may be able to comply with the porsche service schedule using the options I have suggested and save a little money also - from an OPC. Then you can repeat the same quotes with indy's and decide.
Good advice. :) I've never used main dealers and I intend to use Wrightune and/or Northway for all servicing and repairs on the Turbo. I have no experience of OPCs but my combined experience of official Mercedes, Audi and BMW dealers is enough to put me off taking my car anywhere near an establishment with "official" in its title. :D

Bill, if it had a minor and plugs in 2012, does that mean the air filter was last done at the major in 2011 ? What about belts ?

If using an independent, I'd be asking for an oil + filter, air filter, brake fluid if it wasn't done in 2012 and maybe the gearbox oil if I couldn't determine when it was done last. Then go forward from there knowing exactly where you are. (Oil every year, air filter 2yrs, plugs and belts every 4yrs and gearbox oil every 4 or 6yrs depending on how ***** you want to be).

The service schedule on the Porsche GB page is wrong. It states every two years - but that is for MY2004 onwards. I have given this feedback to Porsche Wilmslow and Porsche Chester. They said they would have it amended - but obviously not.

The points I have made are the Porsche Chester and Porsche Wilmslow advice I was given.

I can agree with your sentiment about using anyhting with "offical" in the title. But I found Porsche Chester very good. They put a mechanic on my car that knows all the older cars such as 993 and the air-cooled before that, as well as the 996 water cooled range. I got to talk to him about my car and he was very thorough.

I know standards can vary - whether it be at an OPC or at an indy - there are some good indy's and there are (shall we say) some indy's. Key is to pick somewhere/someone who has deep and broad expertise and experience of your model. The fixed price menus offered by OPC's is very competitive and if you have a car that has full OPC stamps and if it is important for you to keep those going, then in all honesty, the OPC prices are very tempting - providing you choose somewhere with the required expertise. The difference between OPC fixed menu service pricing and indy's is hardly £60 - £70 difference from my research in this neck of the woods.

Do keep us posted on what you ulitmately have done.

mikem7709 said:
Bill, if it had a minor and plugs in 2012, does that mean the air filter was last done at the major in 2011 ?
Correct.

mikem7709 said:
What about belts ?
Polyrib belt was changed in February 2009 at 48,200 miles and checked in July 2011 at 59,500 miles.

mikem7709 said:
If using an independent, I'd be asking for an oil + filter, air filter, brake fluid if it wasn't done in 2012 and maybe the gearbox oil if I couldn't determine when it was done last. Then go forward from there knowing exactly where you are. (Oil every year, air filter 2yrs, plugs and belts every 4yrs and gearbox oil every 4 or 6yrs depending on how ***** you want to be).
Yes, the brake fluid does need changing this time.

Doesn't the gearbox oil only need changing once every 96,000 miles?

cheshire911 said:
Do keep us posted on what you ulitmately have done.
Will do. :thumb:

I think for my peace of mind I'll have a major service in August (without plugs). For the sake of a few hundred quid I'd rather know that everything's been done.

Sensible suggestion - it is due a Major in any case. OPC fixed price for Major is £750 inc Plugs (discounted from £1250 previously).

OPC are very well priced on a Major exc Plugs.

Brake fluid is £100 inc VAT if my memory serves me correct.

You've chosen what I ight describe as the fail-safe option - the service it is due in any case and not using the exception rule to carry out an Annual Inspection.

Yeah, gearbox is 8yrs/96K but that's an awful lot of mileage IMO especially when you consider the torque running through it. Fluid is probably £50-60 ? And its an easy job if on a ramp. JZM charge £150 all in for it on a GT3.

Just had a minor service on my 2004 turbo at a cost of £349 with pcgb membership discount which i think is 10% at opc.

I also had a visual health check which must be included (Do indy do this ?).
They picked up on a few things,one of which was the brake fluid change due at £141.74 which i need doing as it was done 2 years ago on a major service.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfaMax1996
Back