Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1st Upgrade to the Cayman R - Improve dismal oem brake pads

GT3GT3

Spa-Francorchamps
Having come out of a PCCB equipped car I was spoilt with excellent brakes and when I test drove my CR the first thing I noticed was how poor the oem brakes were - probably because I nearly carried on straight into the stationary car in front of me :eek:

I had already tied the brakes sensors out the way and this week my new pads arrived. My last 3 cars ( except the PCCB GT3 ) have all used Carbotech Brake Pads so I ordered a set from Ian in the XP10 formula. Every one seems to bang on about Pagid and RS this and RS that but I thought I would stick to what I know.

Brake fluid was refreshed on the service when I bought the car so that is only 500 miles old so will be fine for the 1st trackday in a week at Spa. After that some better fluid will be used , probably Motul RBF.

So , fitting the pads is a straight forward affair on the CR with the central pin knocked out and the simple job of dropping new pads in. I did however takes the time to split the spacer from the front pads which sit within the calliper piston holes and re use with the new pads up front.

All fitted and off to bed them in - My main gripe was the oem pads had very little initial grab or feel and a harder than normal pressure on the pedal was needed as the speeds increased.

Within the 1st mile of trundling down my road en route to some suitable places it was apparent these pads were going to deliver. Right out the box they had more initial bite. A little rumbly as the faces started to mate to one another and after a few miles of gentle braking a short stop and quick check revealed all was well and the face of the rotor was even - time for the berries :D

The bedding in procedure is pretty painless with a few stops from 30 and then several from 70 increasing in pedal pressure and then a few from high speed on the abs threshold to 10mph , followed by a slow cruise about not using the brakes for 15 minutes to allow them to cool. My god these pads are good , I had forgotten how good and its nice to feel them working and losing the speed with easy pedal modulation making threshold braking simple.

Once home a further check of the rotors shows even wear all over and the wheels run true with no catching or rubbing.

Finally some decent stoppers on the car 8) The only downside is the brake dust but I am not worried as these pads will only be in the car for trackdays but I`ve got a sneaky feeling that they may just stay put given how good they are.

Once Spa is out the way I will make the decision as to whether steel brake lines are needed to compliment the new pads or whether the GT3 master cylinder is the way forward. Having not driven the car for a week it was a pleasure to get in it and have a blat about and I feel it is now more of a complete package because it stops when you want it too :grin:

:thumbs:

P.s Sorry to the Yello 996 Gt3 reg ending POW. I couldn't play and had to wave you through because of the above - nice looking motor :thumb:

Gave the new pads a thorough workout at Spa yesterday and got to say they have made a vast improvement and gave solid stable braking all round. There are a couple of very heavy braking points at Spa and it was not fazed at all even after a 30 min session lapping :D

Reading about each of the compounds seems to suggest these are nearly all not recommended "as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise", which for me would put me right off. The Performance Friction pads are fantastic on track but completely useless on the road because of the horrendous noise!

spyderman said:
Reading about each of the compounds seems to suggest these are nearly all not recommended "as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise", which for me would put me right off. The Performance Friction pads are fantastic on track but completely useless on the road because of the horrendous noise!

That is why they will only be installed for trackdays. The road pad will be dropped back in for road miles. For me the pad upgrade is all that was needed and I will not bother with master cylinder etc etc.

Race pads changed for the road pads and no ill effects or issues. After a couple of miles the road pads are back to how they were before and working silently. Just need to remap the brain to remember they are not as good as the race pads at speed but far better at slow speed and when cold.

Best of both worlds ? Yes indeed :mrgreen:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dicreamio
Back