Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

'03 996 4S - Power steering not doing much!

DanSteele

Trainee
Morning all,

I have got the '03 4s out of hibernation - has been tucked away in the garage since October last year, last driven then, total miles since Feb '20 - a whopping 200.

When I last drove it, to move to its new garage, I noticed the steering was very heavy, likely that there wasn't much assistance at all (fortunately a 150 mile mostly motorway drive)

Few things to note;
No whine from engine compartment / untoward sounds.
Power steering rack pipes replaced in Nov 18 by an indy due to corrosion.

Any ideas with this one? Seems going from lock to lock, there is a slightly bit of intermittent assistance. Definitely doesn't feel like any assistance when driving in and out of the garage.

MOT booked for Wednesday morning, garage is going to have a look at it (not an Indy, they have some experience with 996's however)

Any pointers to help with diagnosis would be appreciated. No fluid appears to have leaked out anywhere.

(added a pic.. just because its nice to see her again! 8) )

Dan

Attachments

• 9964s_158.jpg
    9964s_158.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 850
Time to show my how naà¯ve I am on the power steering - black cap in engine bay with Pentosin on the top of it?

Now at present, due to expired MOT I can't take her out on the road to get hot, left to idle and engine up to temp should do it?

Engine off, remove cap and inspect once up to temp should give me a good idea?

Many thanks for your reply.

(edited to add - if its low, sealed system and it has obviously gone somewhere!?)

Cant help you with your technical query but wondered where you got the short front number plate holder from as I could do with one myself.

Thanks, Ray

Super_Ray said:
Cant help you with your technical query but wondered where you got the short front number plate holder from as I could do with one myself.

Thanks, Ray

Good question, I ended up putting the usual length one on my mitre saw and cutting two 1cm on so sections out of either end and then using mitre glue to reattach the ends back on to the shortened holder.

This way it doesn't mess with the holes already made in the bumper.

MOT fail list update;

Expected given that it has not had an MOT since 2019! In fact, I was expecting worse if I am honest.

Repair immediately (major defects):
Offside Rear Service brake excessively binding (1.2.1 (f))
Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Steering system excessively rough (2.1.1 (a))
Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))
Emissions not tested (8.2.1.2 (d))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
Service brake only just met requirements
Handbrake performance only just met requirements

Garage is going to do a more thorough inspection, but they think its the rack that's faulty.

...the original PSE boxes might be due a replacement!

DanSteele said:
Super_Ray said:

Thanks, Ray

Good question, I ended up putting the usual length one on my mitre saw and cutting two 1cm on so sections out of either end and then using mitre glue to reattach the ends back on to the shortened holder.

Thanks, will give that a go

Ray

DanSteele said:
Super_Ray said:

Thanks, Ray

Thanks, will give that a go

Ray

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V164
Back