Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

£650,000 Porsche (Not a typo)

Any chance of finance Jamie?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120985

Better let Philip know.

He's probably got a couple tucked away.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120988

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by kim hollamby on 27 February 2007

Better let Philip know.

Yup - I was following it - it's a stunning car, recently photographed for an article by Glen Smales with my 2.7RS. I met the owner who has brought it back to life and was lucky enough to be given a short passenger ride in it - the charming owner offered me a brief drive, but I declined out of being petrified to drive such a precious piece of history.

Previous poster said:
Quote:
He's probably got a couple tucked away.

Erm, no - this is a very special piece of Porsche history. But I'm not sure the asking price is, erm, in the right ballpark :eek:

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120993

Put it another way - blatant profiteering.
Its an old Porsche for goodness sake!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120997

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Stevo on 27 February 2007
Put it another way - blatant profiteering.
Its an old Porsche for goodness sake!

Erm, it's a lot more than just "an old Porsche".

It's the car that, in many ways, defined Porsche as a racing centric manufacturer, and the 911 as a serious racing machine - it's the car that started the concept of Porsche series produced race cars, it's the predecessor to the RS and all its future generations. It's the car that Vic Elford put ahead of many more expensive cars on many, many racing outings, it's the car that set records on many occaisions.

Yes, it's priced disproportionately to other R's that have sold in the past three or four years - but it's definitely NOT "just an old Porsche". :D

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 120999

Wasn't there an article on this particular car last year in 911&PW? or one of the other mags...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121002

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 27 February 2007
Wasn't there an article on this particular car last year in 911&PW? or one of the other mags...

Total 911 :)

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121004

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by oceancarrera on 27 February 2007

Total 911 :)

Here's a photo from the atricle showing R3 with my RS - COPYRIGHT TOTAL 911 MAGAZINE :)

496andR32.jpg

496andR3.jpg

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121005

"It's the car that, in many ways, defined Porsche as a racing centric manufacturer, and the 911 as a serious racing machine - it's the car that started the concept of Porsche series produced race cars, it's the predecessor to the RS and all its future generations. It's the car that Vic Elford put ahead of many more expensive cars on many, many racing outings, it's the car that set records on many occaisions."

So the current owner should sell it to the Porsche museum for what he paid for it (plus referb costs if any) and have a plaque by its display with his name on.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Stevo on 27 February 2007So the current owner should sell it to the Porsche museum for what he paid for it (plus referb costs if any) and have a plaque by its display with his name on.
Perhaps he should - but Keynesian Economics doesn't work that way :D

I said I agreed with the desirability of the car - didn't say I agreed with the price :wink:

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121007

It's a bit like antique, you really have to hae un-limited supply of cash to really enjoy something like that! If I had the money to buy it, I'd love to take it to a trackday to see just what it feels like!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121011

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Butzi on 27 February 2007
I'd love to take it to a trackday to see just what it feels like!

I didn't have the balls to take up the very generous offer of the kind owner to drive her - but tracking each other around Silverstone it was obvious how absurdly lumpy it was at the low end and just how LOUD it howeled when up at 6,000rpm :wink:

I suppose that's what you get when you pull 217bhp from 2.0ltrs! :eek:

That noise will stay in my head forever - quite sublime :D

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121016

What have the other Rs sold for Philip?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121025

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 27 February 2007
What have the other Rs sold for Philip?

In the region of £200k to £400k depending on originality (these things really are like Washington's Axe) and provenance.

Philip

Migration info. Legacy thread was 121027

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steviepee
Back