Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 17
997 : 2004- 76
996 : 1997-2005 43
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 13
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

AndrewM
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonMinch wrote:
Hi Andrew, Another shot from the front, the paddles are AMG off ebay £60.00, I have kept my old wheel in case I want to go back, the difficult bit in profiling the mounts, was thinking of getting some 3D printed but happy for now just to get it running again. Had a bit of a scare when I got it all back together, reconnected the battery, switch on the ignition and every fault you can think of came up tried to start it but every thing went mad windows half down solenoid bouncing, battery had completely failed wouldn't take a charge. New battery fitted and now everything back to normal thank god.

Ron, would you have a link to the ebay sale for these paddles please?

A

RonMinch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew, I think this link will take you to the item:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-AMG-SCHALTWIPPEN-DSG-PADDLES-A0999051200-A0999051300-7H52-ALU-GRAU-/400863355381?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item5d555161f5

£70.00 now but still not bad, the base plates are a light grey colour but they can be taken apart and sprayed sliver if you wish, hope this helps.

Ron.

medicus
Albert Park

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are the plastic paddles and not great quality, you want the alloy AMG shifters, there are such a difference in appearance and quality.

AndrewM
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys. Can I ask Medicus if he has any links to same?

medicus
Albert Park

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

none on ebay at the moment, if you call your local mercedes main dealer they are £118 plus VAT, for the pair.
Part number AMG A2125450068 and AMG A2125450168

RichS1963
Silverstone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Partial Success Reply with quote

So after purchasing a wheel to practice cutting out the holes for the paddles, buying the AMG paddles, circuit board, resistors (multi function wheel), wire etc, etc, I spent the day embarking on my conversion.

After taking a very large brave pill, I disconnected the battery, released the air bag, removed the connectors and undid the wheel.
Identified the appropriate wires and did all the wiring. Added 127 Ohm resistor for down shift and 274 Ohm for the upshift.
Marked out the holes as per my earlier trial on the old wheel and removed the rubber. Drilled holes for bolt and wires and connected the final four wires.
Multifunction trim re installed, steering wheel re fitted, air bag connected and finally reconnected the battery...

With everything crossed, started the car, moved lever to M. Tested old thumb buttons first. All ok !!!
Pulled upshift and yeah... It went to second.
Pulled downshift..... nothing ?!!?

Dont know Dont know

Too tired to try and fix tonight but can anyone tell me, if I disconnect the battery, remove the air bag, can I reconnect the battery to test connections and the operation of the paddle?

Also, open to suggestions as to why I've only been 50% successful.

moritz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To test, you have to drive the car - no good w/o airbag since you will get an ugly red light, which needs to be cancelled by PIWIS, Durametric or similar stuff.

I suggest you check the wiring and the action of the switch, by comparing the signal (resistance) when the stock switch is operated with the paddle switch activated. That should give you sufficient confidence that everything can be put together again. Good luck!

medicus
Albert Park

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please check you have put the resisters in line, and in the correct place.
do not re connect the battery without the air bag connected..........

RichS1963
Silverstone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resistors are in the same place for both upshift - which works - and downshift.
Is 127 Ohm correct for downshift?
I'm erring on the belief that maybe the paddle hasn't got enough free play when pulled.

benlpz6

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: beebman- help Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I've spent hours today trying to do this mod and really need some help Surprised

I bought a refurbished steering wheel with paddles already fitted from eBay.
I managed to take my old wheel off the car (997.1 Turbo Tiptronic) and fit the new one and everything was going well until the wiring. I have two wires (black and yellow) wires coming from each of the paddles which are supposed to connect to the black (to black)and yellow (to white)for the right paddle, and black (to black) and yellow (to red) for the left as mentioned in this post. I'm looking to keep all functionality on the wheel (inc the original tip buttons- although that's not so important) and understand connecting the wires to the originals should be fairly straight forward. My wires are dirrerent, I don't have reds or whites, mine are striped much the same as found in the following link: http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/820339-multifunction-steering-wheel.html
The link also states what each wire does:

A8: Grey with Green (Tiptronic)
A7: Black with Black (GND)
A6: Grey with Red (DATAS)
A5: Yellow with Yellow (Term 58 D)
A4: Blue with Blue (Rotating Speed)
A3: Brown with Brown (Direction of Rotation)
A2: Red with Yellow (5V supply)
A1: Red with Yellow (5V supply)

Your bottom photo is "Remote Control Right", seven wires from left to right in the photo:
A8: White with Green (Tiptronic)
A7: Black with Black (GND)
A6: White with Red (DATAS)
A5: Grey with Green (Term 58 D)
A4: Brown with Black (Rotating Speed)
A3: Red with Red (Direction of Rotation)
A2: Red with Yellow (5V supply)
A1: no connection

The problem I have now is understanding which wires from my paddles (the black and yellows)I need to connect into these etc. Can someone please help me?

Many Thanks
Ben Thumb

AndrewM
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted my AMG paddles today as per instructions as I understood them. Fit was reasonably straightforward but unfortunately they aren't working.

In wiring terms what I did was to strip a section of the wires running into the looms for the two paddles. The blacks on each side and red on the left (for down) and white on the right (for up). Then soldered the blacks to black and the yellows to the respective red and whites. So I didn't break the existing connections into the looms.

The tip switches work fine and no error messages. But nothing happens with the paddles.

Any thoughts?

Louie63

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: 997.1 Tiptronic Paddle Shift Conversion Reply with quote

Have you checked with a multi-meter that the paddles are switching? I had to make sure that the hole in the steering wheel was deep enough to ensure the paddles were switching correctly.

AndrewM
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't had a chance to do anything since Friday alas. They certainly seem to be switching meachanically.

Have I used the correct technique in soldering directly to the wires into the loom?

RichS1963
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, I've sent you a pm.

Is your wheel multi function?mif so, you'll need resistors.

AndrewM
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the message thanks. No my wheel is just a standard tiptronic.

davidh65

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to this topic I have just ordered a damaged test steering wheel from ebay for £49 .00, I will order the paddles and have a practice before moving onto my own steering wheel.

I really could do with some advice (pictures would be great) of the wiring connections including the resistors. Question
997 Carrera S Cabriolet (love it)

AndrewM
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP had talked of a detailed guide but it never emerged. I've it all done but not working!

AndrewM
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, I took a couple of pics of my standard tiptronic wheel with the paddles soldered in. Left the insulation in but you can see the two looms in the pics below. (white loom is left and red is right).

The two paddles have their black wires soldered to the respective black wire you can see in the two pics. The yellow wire for the left (down) paddle is soldered to the red wire on the left (white) loom. The yellow wire for the right (up) paddle is soldered to the white wire on the right (red) loom.

Clearly this is wrong but where should they be soldered?

AndrewM
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resolved and all working well!! Wiring was fine as it turns out.

Embarrassed to say it but Louie63 and Rich (to an earlier poster) were correct. There was insufficient space behind the switch to allow it to 'click' and switch properly. In my defence I was fooled by the fact that there was a mechanical clicking sound but testing revealed that was the metal points of the paddles hitting the bare metal of the wheel frame. So it looked ok and sounded ok but wasn't making the switch.

I resolved things by cutting more of the wheel frame away and adding a plastic spacer to the back of the paddles. I still found that overtightening the paddle would tighten it up to the point where it wouldn't work. Lesson to all doing this - don't overtighten and make sure you get the sprung feeling of the switch working before closing up.

After managing to nearly derail things by tearing one of the leads out of a paddle while cutting metal (don't ask - I managed to repair it by soldering) it now works.

So many thanks to Beebman for the idea and instructions (really looking forward to using it now) and specific thanks to Rich for all his help!

AndrewM
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been loving the new paddles. Definitely a great modification and very much enhances the driving experience without compromising the handiness of the existing switches for one handed driving.

One tiny gripe is that I've found the AMG paddles a little small. Also, while I can use them ok they may have been mounted a little inboard for the most comfortable use.

Im thinking of resolving both issues with a pair of these paddle extensions (there are similar ones around in different styles). They use grub screws to attach to the existing alloy paddles. Have emailed to see if the silver matches the silver of the existing paddles although I've a hankering to go for them in black.

I daresay its a marmite thing but they can be taken off in 2 minutes if I don't like them.

Link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151761312354?item=151761312354&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: