Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 12
997 : 2004- 70
996 : 1997-2005 31
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 2
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 13
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

mkoenigsheim
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi medicus - not sure how I could recess more - I cut down to the metal. I guess I could reces the entire unit by cutting the hole larger?

Can you post/PM me a picture of how yours looks finished back there?

medicus
Albert Park

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkoenigsheim wrote:
Hi medicus - not sure how I could recess more - I cut down to the metal. I guess I could reces the entire unit by cutting the hole larger?

Can you post/PM me a picture of how yours looks finished back there?

of course, if you can PM me your email address or mobile number i will send you some photos,(i dont know how to upload them....its an age thing) there might be a difference as all my wheels are 996, and there is only a small strip of aluminium and mostly hard rubber, i used a 2" x 1" piece of with a hole drilled in the centre to secure, and put a little V bend on it so it sat nice and flush, i then put some black rubber mastic over everything, so it tidy'd up the inside.

i did cut everything away except to allow the flange on the paddles to sit recessed, they are very solid. and a year on i have had no issues.

beebman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carruthers wrote:
Anyone done this sort of thing with a PDK wheel ?

It should be possible. The paddles on the PDK wheel have a 3 wire connection, so not quite sure what the switches are doing. I'm in the process of trying to buy a set of PDK paddles from Germany. if I manage to get a set i'll work out what they are doing and post the results. Would be nice if you could just mod the Sport Design PDK wheel, the cost puts me of though.

shaun Question

RonMinch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi beebman, Just finished my modified steering wheel, 05 997 Carrera, paddles fitted. Was going to do away with the original switches, when I stripped the original none multi wheel the small PCB with the shift buttons on does have a resistor mounted on it and when checking with a meter it would appear that this is switched. Can I ignore these and simply connect as described above? Failing that I could wire my new switch in parallel and conceal the old switches within the new wheel casing. Regards Ron.

beebman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonMinch wrote:
Hi beebman, Just finished my modified steering wheel, 05 997 Carrera, paddles fitted. Was going to do away with the original switches, when I stripped the original none multi wheel the small PCB with the shift buttons on does have a resistor mounted on it and when checking with a meter it would appear that this is switched. Can I ignore these and simply connect as described above? Failing that I could wire my new switch in parallel and conceal the old switches within the new wheel casing. Regards Ron.

Hi Ron,

If you have a multifunction wheel you will need to wire resistors in line with the paddles. wire the paddles into the existing switch connector, but don't connect it upto the existing switches. if you do this you will lose you multifunction. if you look at earlier post, the resistors needed are listed.

good luck
shaun

AndrewM
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beebman, any joy sourcing PDK shifters?

beebman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewM wrote:
Beebman, any joy sourcing PDK shifters?

Hi AndrewM,

They should be here today. Here's the eBay item code - 261741748312. The seller was happy to send from Germany, but will only accept bank transfer. Very Happy

regards
shaun

AndrewM
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Will they fit on a standard tip wheel?

Was looking at various pictures and the long thin paddles may have something to do with some obstruction of the instrumentation from wider paddles. Just a thought. do the AMG paddles block off any of the two edge instruments?

Very keen to see how you get on as I'd very much like to do this mod.

mkoenigsheim
Monza

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew - I installed the Mercedes paddles a week ago and have clearly been fiddling with them since!!!

I haven't noticed any interference with the paddles at all - they feel rock solid unless you try to use them by pulling the tips.
I took a look at the OEM paddles and they look to be far thicker - not sure how close to the indicators they will be when installed - I am sure that beebman will soon be able to fit them and let us know - the AMG paddles are easy because there is just one screw required to fix them - the OEM paddle looks like it needs 2 (might make it more stable!) but it also looks like it will be more flush against the back of the wheel.

beebman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've got the Porsche Paddles and have had a chance to look at how they work. They are different from the AMG Paddles as they use an optical switch mechanism. This is why there are 3 wires on the connector. The wires are +V, a -V and a return which drops the voltage from 5V to 2V when you pull the paddle. I'll have to test them on the car next to see if I can get them to work. I'll post an update once I've tested the paddles on the car.

shaun

andyrs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beebman wrote:
Hi All,

I've got the Porsche Paddles and have had a chance to look at how they work. They are different from the AMG Paddles as they use an optical switch mechanism. This is why there are 3 wires on the connector. The wires are +V, a -V and a return which drops the voltage from 5V to 2V when you pull the paddle. I'll have to test them on the car next to see if I can get them to work. I'll post an update once I've tested the paddles on the car.

shaun

By the sounds of the extra wire it sounds like it's to blip the throttle when changing

RonMinch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got mine fitted and working, fitted mine on to stand offs, firstly it gives more space for fingers and thumbs, still clears other controls and hides back off switchs, if done like this you only need 2 small holes on each side and no cutting out, not took it out on roads yet cant wait.[img][

997 paddles1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.42 KB
 Viewed:  8287 Time(s)

997 paddles1.jpg

AndrewM
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Ron. Any more pics? And where did you get the paddles?

RonMinch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew, Another shot from the front, the paddles are AMG off ebay £60.00, I have kept my old wheel in case I want to go back, the difficult bit in profiling the mounts, was thinking of getting some 3D printed but happy for now just to get it running again. Had a bit of a scare when I got it all back together, reconnected the battery, switch on the ignition and every fault you can think of came up tried to start it but every thing went mad windows half down solenoid bouncing, battery had completely failed wouldn't take a charge. New battery fitted and now everything back to normal thank god.

997paddle2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.53 KB
 Viewed:  8257 Time(s)

997paddle2.jpg

AndrewM
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beebman, did you ever get the PDK paddles fitted?

Captain Lockheed
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a secondhand Multi function wheel coming, (won off ebay).

Need to decide which paddles.

Ron, I like yours.

Medicus, I will pm you my email.

medicus
Albert Park

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problems sir, I will try to help anyway I can, I have now completed 7 of these (996) 3 spoke steering wheels, and sold 4 on ebay, the other 3 were for friends who have 996-2 tiptronic cars.

absolute must is the AMG alloy paddle shifters, the quality is superb, however the polish seller who had them for £60 has no more ,I bought the last 3 sets he had, now you will be lucky to get them for under £125, better going straight to Mercedes, they will be circa £118 plus the dreaded.

fit them flush also or you will put far to much strain on the wheel, and its only rubber.
just make a template and use a dremel to cut the rubber away, it does not matter how much you remove, because the paddle hides everything, and you can still secure them with a inch by inch square of alloy with a central hole drilled, or a suitable large washer?
they don't take any stress so to speak, and AMG have them secured with a self tapper (lol)
2 wire connection makes wiring a doddle.

Captain Lockheed
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

medicus wrote:
no problems sir, I will try to help anyway I can, I have now completed 7 of these (996) 3 spoke steering wheels, and sold 4 on ebay, the other 3 were for friends who have 996-2 tiptronic cars.

absolute must is the AMG alloy paddle shifters, the quality is superb, however the polish seller who had them for £60 has no more ,I bought the last 3 sets he had, now you will be lucky to get them for under £125, better going straight to Mercedes, they will be circa £118 plus the dreaded.

fit them flush also or you will put far to much strain on the wheel, and its only rubber.
just make a template and use a dremel to cut the rubber away, it does not matter how much you remove, because the paddle hides everything, and you can still secure them with a inch by inch square of alloy with a central hole drilled, or a suitable large washer?
they don't take any stress so to speak, and AMG have them secured with a self tapper (lol)
2 wire connection makes wiring a doddle.

You sir are a gentleman.

beebman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewM wrote:
Beebman, did you ever get the PDK paddles fitted?

Hi AndrewM,

haven't got around to it yet as I've been distracted by house hunting. Will try to get around to it as soon as poss.

regards

shaun

beebman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Finally got around to working out voltages etc for the Porsche paddles. Unfortunately, it look like they wont work as the voltages are different. The Porsche paddles produce 3v which drops to 0v when you pull the paddle. This is the same for both paddles. The AMG paddles go from 5v to 3v on the down paddle and 5v to 2v on the up paddle. I imagine the only way around this would be to change the steering control module. If anyone has any ideas how we could easily get round these voltage issues it would be most appreciated.

shaun Confused

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: