Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

"Barn find" 1984 911

Project is being a bit economical !

" No Engine Box or trim " other than that its fine

Not sure when it went in the Barn, but someone fitted turbo look wheels and stripped it.

Looks a complete mess, and even Mike Brewer of Wheeler Dealers would shy away if the price was 50 quid!! :lol: :lol:

Tax liability according to DVLA was 2010, which implies it was taxed in 2009/10 so not sure about the 10 years storage unless it is the combined time it has sat in a dry garage over it's life!!

£6.2k is incredible strong for what amounts to not that much more than a rolling shell.

I think If you gave me that shell for free AND gave me £5000...

That by the time I have got an Engine, 'box, interior, seats, carpets, lights (yep! anything worth money has been taken off it), all the trim, the really expensive black trim and seals, bumpers are £700 each without the black trim, wheels, tyres, bodywork, paint and all the other million things you would need...

It would still be cheaper to shred the £5000, push this bodyshell into the sea and walk away.

:hand:

There is no point in anyone buying this heap unless it has sentimental value.

Targa
Most interesting point is there are no electrics under the px seat.

What you see is what you get
A log book and a bucket of sh t.

SausageCreature said:
So not all air-cooled Porsches are an investment then ?

If you buy a car that is not too rotten then yes.

But you are not buying a car here. If you build a new or used car entirely from scratch it will have always cost way more than it is worth at the end.

I had a bodywork bill on my 3.2 that was more than the car was worth, and that was a running car with rebuilt engine, box and excellent interior.

I'm not guessing here, what is it/ a £7000 shell? Just total up bumpers, wheels, tyres, interior and exterior trim, carpets lights, electrics and you have spent more than the purchase price again. Then get hold of a rebuilt engine and box, brakes, and running gear parts and you have spent the purchase price again.

What we at now? About £22k being generous?

Now lets talk bodywork and paint...
:what:

You might as well 5h1t in your hat and punch it.

I think anyone can see that this is not a sensible financial option, within seconds of looking at it.

I looked at it in a cursory fashion and thought £30k would do it with some sizeable contingency.
OPC Leicester thought the same with their 50 year anniversary renovation project. I think they later told me that the total bill was over £140k.

I cannot even begin to imagine the nightmare this could be, paper work, part numbers, parts, costs, getting it all working and matching together. For some people it would be a nightmare. But then there are some people who like that kind of challenge, whether a house or a boat, or a car and thoroughly enjoy getting their teeth into a serious project regardless of the cost or difficulty.

SausageCreature said:
OPC Leicester thought the same with their 50 year anniversary renovation project. I think they later told me that the total bill was over £140k.

40k has suddenly become 140k :hand:

OPC's :floor:

"hand rolled replacement body panels" by Chartwells of Derby is one thing that put the price up. I cant help but think shipping the seats to Switzerland for a re-upholstering was an expensive choice too. Then when the seats came back the dealer principal didn't like them and bought a new set and repeated the process (or something along those lines). Costs all add up, that is true. Decisions made with the head can break the heart, decisions made with the heart can break the head :)

Edit: 911Uk, just noticed your punch line. :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back