Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The £13 trickle chargers are back in LIDL

Gav171073

The £13 3.8 volt trickle chargers are back in LIDL, well at least they are in the one in Dorking. Better display than the CTEK ones, but no ciggie lighter plug in socket. However, for £13, bargain.

You fink I'm ever parking a 911 outside bloodclaaat LIDL

That's like buying an Aston Martin and jacking it up on the driveway like 80% of 911uk.com owners... oh..

I need to start using Tesco Delivery - can't be arsed setting it up online.

I don't think I could go to LIDL though.. God my mate wont stop talking ***** here I'm going to bed

'snores'

Nicholassss said:
You fink I'm ever parking a 911 outside bloodclaaat LIDL

:hand:

I do it all the time, (a) to get some free parking (b) my daughter and son in law both work there :D

"Lidl is the new Waitrose." :floor: :thumb:

On a serious note. I don't know the LIDL product. What I can share is that you need an 'intelligent' charger that knows how much charge to apply, how much trickle is needed to keep it charged and can also condition the battery.

The CTEK product does all of this and in different climate settings as well as a recondition function that may be a good thing once a year.

Other chargers may just simply 'cook the battery' and I'd only ever recommend the CTEK product in all honesty.

Call me cautious but I don't think I would like to leave a £13 charger on in my garage for any length of time! Worry about fire etc etc! ⚡️💥

the car comes with a perfectly serviceable battery charging device.

I own a CTEK one and now a LIDL one. The CTEK one has a better connector set up, but the display is rubbish. The LIDL one has a better display but only has battery clips. The manual could have been written by the same person. The LIDL one has exactly the same functionality as the CTEK one (charge, pulse, trickle and maintain). And it costs £13.

I've got the CTEK one plugged into the 911, and the LIDL one plugged into the MX-5. No smell of burning from the garage just yet.

The newer C-teks have 8 stage charging now including a reconditioning function that's recommended to be used at least once a year and also automatic temperature adjustment.

I went to look at the Lidl ones this week before ordering a new MXS5.0 and the difference in build quality is very apparent. I'm sure it's perfectly safe and won't burn the garage down but the crocodile clips are a pain compare to the comfort connector and the various accessories, it's a relatively small output at 3.6Amps too the equivalent size C-Tek can be had for about £40 if you shop about.

On the plus side the V indicator is a nice touch, I'm amazed C-Tek don't have something that does the same but I guess it's easy to use a voltmeter.

Anyone have a photo/link to this product? I bought a charger last year after a recommendation on here for my daily. I used it last time I went to sea and when I got home the battery was dead and on the display it said Err. Threw it in the bin, couldn't trust it after that. Bought a second CTEK as the one on my Porsche has been solid.

Not sure if it's the same one though?

Agree with everything Mike said above.

Attachments

• charger_180.jpg
    charger_180.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 13,056
Those CTEK are all smoke n mirrors. When you strip it down its near enough the same as the £13 Lidl one :wack:

I've got a Halfords 'monolith' type which looks like a phone charger 3-pin plug effort with a wire that goes to a connector on my battery. Red light charging, Green light maintaining. Simple. Worked so far for over 2yrs and came 'free' with the car :thumb:

My 'ordinary' 6v/12v battery charger is 35yrs old and still going :grin:

£80 for a CTEK? Emperor's new clothes :floor:

God help us if we ever get electric cars. We'll spend all day arguing over the chargers!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back