Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2017 Ford GT..

kas750

Zandvoort
Ford PR:
The 2017 Ford GT has been unveiled with a new twin-turbo EcoBoost engine delivering more than 600 bhp.
Perhaps one of the most important cars to grace Detroit these days, the Ford GT is more than just for show as a production version will be introduced in 2016. It features a design reminiscent of the original model but brought up to current standards suitable for what Ford is describing as an "ultra-high-performance supercar."
The design is not only appealing but also aerodynamically optimized to reduce drag and generate more downforce. The two-seater has upward-swinging doors granting access to the carbon fiber passenger cell while at the back there's an active spoiler automatically adjustable depending on road conditions. Ford's engineers have installed aluminum front & rear subframes covered by carbon fiber body panels and all these lightweight measures will allow the new GT to "exhibit one of the best power-to-weigh ratios of any production car."
Speaking of power, the supercar has a new mid-mounted twin-turbo V6 EcoBoost engine developing more than 600 bhp (447 kW) to the rear 20-inch wheels wrapped around in specifically designed Michelin Pilot Super Sport Cup 2 tires through a dual-clutch seven-speed transaxle transmission capable of providing "near-instantaneous gear changes."
Step inside the simple yet functional cabin and you will notice an F1-inspired steering wheel, a fully digital & configurable instrument cluster along with Ford's SYNC 3 infotainment system.
The all-new Ford GT is programmed to enter production towards the end of next year.

looks like an aventador to me.

As far as super/hypercars go, this floats my boat less than my new Mini.

:thumbdown:

Now, if someone said they had one outside to give me I'd be more interested in how much I could sell it for than going to drive it.

What was wrong with the old gas guzzling GT? :dont know:

ragpicker said:
What was wrong with the old gas guzzling GT? :dont know:

It had the engine out of a pick up truck and the range was terrible to the point where you practically had to fill it up just to go to the shops.

Personally I think that the Ford will have its work cut out for it against the new Honda NSX though...

Forget the engine, what I want to know is why the flappy paddles are so huge.

Did the designers take the word "paddles" a little too literally :?:

A supercar with an engine labelled "eco" . They need to drop that moniker, folks buying these cars don't want an eco engine, they want a rip snorting scary one. It looks OK, but still lacks the drama of an Italian.

Remember when Jaguar put a twin turbo V6 into the XJ220, and everyone moaned, despite it having Group B rally heritage (because they thought it was from a Metro!)

I suppose the Eco bit is to try to capture the zeitgeist of the hybrid Porsche, McLaren, i8 etc, and show what their technology can do despite no electrotrickery.

Robertb said:
Remember when Jaguar put a twin turbo V6 into the XJ220, and everyone moaned, despite it having Group B rally heritage (because they thought it was from a Metro!)

I think people (including the 1000+ that cancelled their orders) actually moaned because deposits were taken on the basis of Jaguar saying it was going to have a 5.3 litre (or more) V12 engine.

Regarding the Ford GT ........... I love it. :thumb:

T8 said:
Robertb said:

I think people (including the 1000+ that cancelled their orders) actually moaned because deposits were taken on the basis of Jaguar saying it was going to have a 5.3 litre (or more) V12 engine.

Regarding the Ford GT ........... I love it. :thumb:

Fair point, and 4x4, but I suspect that it was more to do with the fact that most orders were speculative, and there was a looming recession.

I visited the Jag works back in '98, there was still a row of unsold XJ220s in a shed! Stunning looking things, a relative bargain at £80-90k at the time.

I agree, using the same name from a 1 litre Ford Focus 'Ecoboost' on a Supercar is a mistake. However for a Ford it looks pretty damn good. However the unique selling point of the original was the racing heritage, what is the USP of this car?

Ragpicker did you get a Mini then?

isysman said:
I agree, using the same name from a 1 litre Ford Focus 'Ecoboost' on a Supercar is a mistake. However for a Ford it looks pretty damn good. However the unique selling point of the original was the racing heritage, what is the USP of this car?

Currently Ford's officially backed non-NASCAR racing engines are generally branded EcoBoost (I think that I would need to exclude Aussie V8s, but they are pulling factory support for that). There have for some time been rumours of Ford sniffing around LM-GTE and GT3 for a racing project. This car may well be what they propose to campaign. {Though the last I heard, we shouldn't expect an official announcement before this years Le Mans}.

EcoBoost%20Family-%202012%20as%20raced%20(2).jpg

isysman said:

Ragpicker did you get a Mini then?

Indeed I did old boy: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1035397#1035397

I sent some hopeful mind signals hoping you would reply but, alas, my jedi skills aren't what they used to be...... :starwars:

I'm not convinced... looks a bit crude, a bit under designed. The front is a good start and the side looks fine too, but the rear lacks a bit of elegance to cope with all those holes.

The interior looks nice and simple, but that steering wheel is just horrible :roll:

The engine should be a V8 or fancier, I mean V6 is fine and probably more efficient but for a halo sports car isn't the point to go all-out?

I think it looks fantastic and furthermore i must applaud Ford,a manufacturer that essentially churns out grey porridge on a daily basis for committing to build such a car.

They are aiming a patronising nod to the tree huggers with the name but I am sure it will be a barnstormer and will stand out in a row of Ferrari's and lamborghini's. :thumb:

The more I look, the more I like!

But the comparison with the 24 yr old XJ220 is interesting;

Jag- 3.5L V6 TT developing 542 bhp, 0-100 in 8 secs but capable of 32mpg at 56mph, with no Eco trickery. And it weighed 1450kg, considered heavy at the time but lighter than a C4S.

Ford- 3.5L V6 TT, 'in excess' of 600 bhp- its going to either have to develop a lot more than that, or weigh very little to be in with a shout of beating the Aventador for example, 0-100 in 5.9 secs, or even a 458 at 6.6. Ecoboost had better be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back