Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Billet Alloy Targa replacement

jbservices

Hi,
I have been working on a couple of SC's recently and was considering developing a cnc'd billet alloy replacement roof. It would fit the standard hole and take standard rubbers, clamps and locating pins. Comprising of four pieces that could be shimmed to adjust to the specific car, there would be an aperture left in the middle that could be filled with glass, or bonded alloy and painted.
Not sure if you felt there is a need, and if so what sort of cost it would need to be to be an attractive option against refurbishing the original.
Any feedback would be great,
Thanks,
Jon

I've seen a few 1 piece targa roofs made from a piece of polycarb or perspex. think there might be someone in the States who makes them for ref?

thanks

Hi,
Thanks for the response. I've been looking around for options, but it seems that the few replacement options were not great quality, the original optional hard tops are super rare and even when fixed the cloth targa isn't great. I could just buy the kit and repair the ones they have, but we were thinking of developing something a bit more trick.
Thanks,
Jon

As the cost of a replacement roof is in the region of £10k (Official Porsche Price)
I suspect any alternative would be welcome.

cheaper than that

Hi,
Thanks for the info, I had an idea the figures would be around that. I am lucky to have a very good machine shop locally who is capable of undertaking this sort of thing. I have been developing/making various custom components for customers cars with them for a while.
Its going to be a pretty chunky investment of time/money to get it together, but I think I will be going ahead, aiming to have the first one on my customers car in time for Le Mans this year. After that I can offer them to other customers once any issues are ironed out.
Thanks,
Jon

There was a perspex top made in the US in the 80s called the Saratoga top but they are long out of production and quite rare now.

There's also a German company now making a top but I can't find a link at the moment...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back