Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Poor Starting / Coolant Leak

HDPete

Hi,

My 2003 Cayenne S (LPG Converted) has been having trouble turning over for a few months. Sometimes on the first turn, the starter clicks once. On the 2nd turn, the engine turns over, but is laboured.

I have tried starting it with jump leads connected to another car and it starts better, which suggests the battery is low on amps. However, I have had the battery checked and they report it as OK. The alternator is also producing 13.8V on the terminals under the bonnet. The garage suspect a weak alternator, but I'm not sure I agree:

Today I have had my coolant pipes completely go as well. It has been leaking slowly for some time. My garage tells me that this is a known issue and, where the coolant leaks, it corrodes the starter starter motor. It is about an 8 hour job (including removing the LPG injectors to remove the top parts required for access.

So... If I get the starter and pipes replaced, is it worth replacing the alternator at the same time, or does any of the above suggest that the alternator is probably fine?

Any other advice on this issue gratefully received.

Kind regards
Pete

13.8v is ok but a fraction low. A new battery will sort that out and I would expect it to go up to 14+ volts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back