Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 at 911virgin?.Advice please..*new pics added page 8*

kas750

http://www.911virgin.com/porscheforsale/909/997GT3Clubsport/

Any thoughts please?..i am going to view this car tomorrow Thursday 18th.

I am still on the look out for a car but whilst browsing pistonheads I looked at GT3 prices..again!!!
There are a couple of nice early 997.1 GT3's for sale.

One of them at 911 virgin has really caught my eye so I wondered about values?

Now I know cars are for enjoying and I want to do that but I need to know that my money is spent on something "safe".

909_Porsche_For_Sale_gt3_hzs_1_1.jpg

It would seem that this cap website isn't up to speed with the market for rare cars. I just tested it with my 997.1GT3RS and it give a £50,000 value. Current prices are between £100,000 and £130,000 :eek: Whilst interest rates remain as low as they are, the market for sought after cars will remain high so I wouldn't worry about the mileage in your shoes. As usual, buy on condition :thumb:

I had a PM exchange with kas over the weekend, here is a cut/paste/edit summary of my thoughts for anyone else interested, or wants to comment on :thumb:

I've owned my car for almost 4 years I paid £67,000 with 12,000 miles on the clock and now with 33,000 miles on the clock I could probably sell for roughly the same.... Which is rather crazy to be honest but that seems to be the way that the market has gone! I'll admit now though that I haven't kept an eye on the market so I'm not really that clued up on values

I have never dealt with 911 virgin however I've only ever heard good things about them. I've called them in the past to make enquiries and they've always been very helpful.

I have had a couple of threads over the last few years on things that have been issues for me, the main one being the creaking front suspension which took maybe about 2 to 3 years to resolve.

Porsche themselves were completed clueless about the whole issue, which in the end was resolved by Chris Franklin at Centre gravity, who knew exactly what the problem was and how to fix it. The issue was worn bushes inside the front dampers, however other people have reported issues with the front suspension that seems related to the top mounts

Coolant pipes are also another known issue, and fixing that will be the next major piece of work I have done on the car. I don't know how much you know about this issue, but essentially Porsche decided to glue the coolant pipes together rather than welding [or pinning] together, as a result over the years there have been numerous cases of coolant pipes coming apart and dumping coolant over the rear wheels - very serious if you're screaming around a track or even driving on the roads

Another issue is as you mentioned with the differential fitted to the car as standard. The Factory LSD fitted by Porsche is widely acknowledged to have been made out of cheese and to last somewhere in the region of maybe 10,000 miles if you're lucky. Without a decent differential these cars can be very very lively at the limit and so I would say that on any GT3 you would need to understand whether the diff has been replaced in the past, when and with what part. There are a couple of options most people go for, the one I chose was to fit the Motorsport cup plates/pack which are approximately £800 from memory, and labour maybe about 500. There are other options including Guards who do a decent LSD as well as Wavetrack however I think they're quite expensive and I would just stick to the Porsche Motorsport plates. The latter is a very solid LSD, I think over the Summer I read Nick (NXI) saying he'd finally worn his out after over 100+ track days and a lot of road mileage

Other than those points, I can't really think of anything bad about the car at all. I was one of those people that usually bought a car and got bored after 6/9 months, however I've had this car for nearly 4 years which says a lot for me.... The fact that it seems to be going up in value is a nice to have, I would still keep the car if it wasn't appreciating at all

So to answer your specific question, is £65k for a 50k mile 997.1 GT3 good value.... Personally if it was me, I would seriously consider this car. What is likely is if you don't buy it at that price someone else most definitely will. But certainly I wouldn't see 50,000 miles something to worry about, provided it had been well maintained, especially as per the above points. Eg if the car has had the coolant pipes redone, a new LSD fitted, dampers refurbished etc, that would all certainly make the car more attractive to me and in some respects a no brainer. The costs of sorting the above would be around

1200 LSD
1500 coolant pipes [have since checked a quote I received which was actualy 2200]
1000 (?) Damper refurb (can't remember what I paid). Listen out for any creaking from the front of the car when you test drive

Maybe look to factor that into price negotiations as appropriate. Obviously any other work or upgrades (new brakes, discs, pads for instance) would help sweeten the deal. I don't think GT3's are as negatively affected by minor upgrades as Carreras seem to be

Cunno and Freddie will probably have further useful info to add, as well as Senoj who owned one previous to his 3.8RS. Apologies to anyone I missed. Cunno especially has a huge amount of modding experience with this specific model - I usually try and copy anything he does :grin:

8)

Any thoughts on this car from the GT guys would be much appreciated.

Roro has already been a great help and on his recommendation I am seeking advice from the collective.

I am going to view this car tomorrow.I am mulling over a deal to px my 996 turbo or may sell privately.
Its with a heavy heart to see the 996 turbo go as it has been an amazing car for me but I think the itch for a GT3 just needs to be scratched?

and to pick up on one of Roro's points..from the conversation I had about the car there is no documentary evidence that the diff has been changed..

Any help gratefully received. :thumb:

I'd sell your turbo and buy this...

PORSCHE 911 (997) GT3 2007 (2007)
For sale Privately, in London, United Kingdom
£69,000

porsche-911-gt3-997-gt3-S1547706-1.jpg

It's got a lot going for it..

Full history
Virtually 11 months of full OPC warranty (most salient point)
PCM
Navigation
Buckets
19445 miles
Years MOT
White !!!
2 owners

The car has only done 4k miles since it was purchased a year ago from
OPC Hatfield. And you could probably negotiate a bit too.

Not sure whether its a clubbie...but it has the buckets...I'd e-mail him
on this. :grin:

The other white one indicated is pretty high on miles at 49K...that's
a highish asking price for that one imho.

There's also a silver one at Guildford,

Vehicle Data
Displacement:3,600 cc
Power Output:415 HP
Drivetrain:2-WD
Transmission:Manual
Fuel:petrol
Exterior Colour:Arctic Silver Metallic
Vehicle Location:porsche Centre Guildford
Vehicle Ident Number:WP0ZZZ99Z7S790558
Interior Finish:Leatherette interior black, upholstery GT3
Mileage:15,700 m
Registration Year:2006 (56)
Price:£ 68,900
Equipment
19 inch GT3 WheelAutomatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensorBi-Xenon lighting systemClub sports packageFloor mats
Lightweight bucket seatsManual gearboxPorsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation moduleSeat belts in Guards RedWindscreen with grey top tint

Looking at this and Nick's car above, t would appear after all that the 911v GT3 is overpriced by quite a bit!?

Thanks for your input Nick..The miles are a concern I must say and a couple of european trips will see the miles rise significantly, but on the plus side 911virgin seem a good outfit and by their own words they "will stick to it like glue" when it comes to any issues.
That said how will the big miles affect its value?

This is a massive investment for me and that's why i am erring towards the safety of a dealer.

Tom did say he could sell my car within a couple of hours so its clearly a good bit of stock and probably saleable for me?

I have spotted the one with 19k and I agree it looks super.

There is the one you mention at Guildford Roro and another cracking looking car at Porsche byfleet which may be worth viewing whilst i am doing the southern tour!

:thumb:

kas750 said:

Roro has already been a great help and on his recommendation I am seeking advice from the collective.

I am going to view this car tomorrow.I am mulling over a deal to px my 996 turbo or may sell privately.
Its with a heavy heart to see the 996 turbo go as it has been an amazing car for me but I think the itch for a GT3 just needs to be scratched?

and to pick up on one of Roro's points..from the conversation I had about the car there is no documentary evidence that the diff has been changed..

Any help gratefully received. :thumb:

What are you going to use the car for? Is it a daily or weekend toy / trackdays?
The diff not a biggy to get sorted. Buy on condition not mileage would be my advices, but if you intend to flip the car in 6-12 months look for low mileage as the UK buyer are obsessed with not actually using their cars so low mileage is key for resale value.
Jon

Cunno said:
What are you going to use the car for? Is it a daily or weekend toy / trackdays?
The diff not a biggy to get sorted. Buy on condition not mileage would be my advices, but if you intend to flip the car in 6-12 months look for low mileage as the UK buyer are obsessed with not actually using their cars so low mileage is key for resale value.
Jon
Hello Jon.I am going to use it for occasional road work and the odd track day mixed in with maybe a european trip or two.

I certainly don't want to buy something that i cant sell if i need to in future.

In the past i have had a couple of cars and maybe the odd bike or two at the same time but this car will means i will have all my eggs in one basket.
So i would rather pre-empt any potential issues.

Adrian

kas750 said:

This car has yellow Calipers but is running Alcons + front camber looks aggressive + rad grill all this would indicated track use. To me that wouldn't be an issue after all this is what the car is built for. I would like to see lot of receipt for mtce work though and a set of boxed ceramic discs as replacing them will cost £10k.

Also no Sat Nav which could put off other come resale?

kas750 said:
Cunno said:
Jon
Hello Jon.I am going to use it for occasional road work and the odd track day mixed in with maybe a european trip or two.

I certainly don't want to buy something that i cant sell if i need to in future.

In the past i have had a couple of cars and maybe the odd bike or two at the same time but this car will means i will have all my eggs in one basket.

Adrian

Have you driven a GT3, there quite different to the Turbo, and I'd also say for what you intended use it for, the Turbo may suit your needs more. I know what you mean about the GT3 itch the first time I saw one I new I'd end up buy one :grin:

911 Virgin have a good rep so I'd defently go see it, but I also like the look of the one Nick W has high lighted.

Cunno said:
kas750 said:
Cunno said:
Jon

Adrian

Have you driven a GT3, there quite different to the Turbo, and I'd also say for what you intended use it for, the Turbo may suit your needs more. I know what you mean about the GT3 itch the first time I saw one I new I'd end up buy one :grin:

911 Virgin have a good rep so I'd defently go see it, but I also like the look of the one Nick W has high lighted.

Sounds like the comfort spec GT3 at Byfleet could be a good option ?

Although with any GT3, it all depends on report of the Rev Range readings.

Well, I've had one or two warranty bits over the last year or so...the OPC
warranty is pretty good, apart from the clutch and brakes you're covered for
the lot. And, it's done only 4k since it was sold by Hatfield, and the mileage is
pretty much spot on. These cars are going up in value, this looks like a
good one !!. :wink:

and no, I'm not on commission !!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back